1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Big loads or large tow truck Pictures-earthmoving

Discussion in 'Other Earthmoving Equipment' started by Madmark73, Apr 30, 2010.

1. alco

alco Senior Member

Here are a few shots from the web of Suncor's "new" (old haul truck) 797 tow truck.
    998619_267274610080729_784866852_n.jpg
    999904_267274600080730_1791257645_n.jpg
    972154_267274596747397_817898607_n.jpg
    8468_267274650080725_1170701873_n.jpg

2. ben46a

ben46a Senior Member

Its about time they replaced the old titan/wabco/whatever the slow old beast was.

3. Madmark73

Madmark73 Well-Known Member

In the mining industry.
    That's one hell of a tow truck!

4. Fred

Fred Active Member

re living an old thread, but I thought this was worth it.

Here are some photos I was sent today by a mate who was working in the Pilbara West Aus, if you need it moved there is always a way.
    Bit of Horsepower on display. Sealed roads are a welcome option......
    Hope the photos work

upfront.jpg bucket.jpg closer.jpg side on.jpg

5. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Fred that is impressive!

6. OzDozer

OzDozer Senior Member

Semi-Retired ..
    Excellent pics there, Fred. That Liebherr R996B runs around 672 tonnes/1,480,000 lbs, just to give an idea of weight.
    Those platform trailers are the greatest invention of all time. Saw one setup in an oil-platform fabrication yard, where they were moving a 20,000 tonne oil & gas structure, on platform trailers!

7. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder Staff Member

Any idea on how far they were moving it?

8. Fred

Fred Active Member

Bit over 130km I'm told, not sure why
    Lead to believe Christmas Creek to Solomon Minesites, which thinking about it wont mean anything unless you are lucky enough to live in West Aus. ;-)

9. Fred

Fred Active Member

Here are some photos of the chain down of machine.
    Don't want this big girl coming off!! image.jpg image.jpg

10. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    I can honestly say that if that excavator decided it wanted to move no amount of chains is going to stop it, I don't care how many you put on there .....!!
    IMHO the chains are for show so that it keeps the Safety germs happy.

11. ben46a

ben46a Senior Member

I agree with nige, nothing short of anchor chain would stop it from moving, and then the trailer would fail. Very impressive nonetheless!

12. Aussie John

Aussie John Well-Known Member

Maintenance Planner, mining equipment
    I received these photos in an email today too. Here are some more details on moving this Liebher that were in the email.

"This is the biggest load to be moved in West Australia.
    It weighed over 700 tons with four trucks towing and two pushing it on the gravel.
    They were travelling at 4 Km’s per hour on the gravel reaching 6km’s hour on the bitumen, the distance to the new mine is 230 Km’s they drove up to 15 hours a day taking 6 days to reach their destination (this also included becoming bogged with four front end loaders having trouble pulling it out) "

I am working in this same area and the largest load I have seen being moved on a public road was an almost complete Komatsu WA1200 front end loader. Only the cab had been removed to reduce the overall heigth a little. This would have weighed around 220 tons.

13. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    WA1200 and 994 would be about the same weight. Only difference was we used to leave the cab on. See the photos in my post on the previous page. Furthest we moved a 994 in that condition was just under 1000km and we regularly moved them 2-300km in a ready to work condition.

14. Aussie John

Aussie John Well-Known Member

Maintenance Planner, mining equipment
    Leibheir 996 on the move

Here is another 996 being moved in the Pilbara recently Heavy load 1.jpg Heavy load 2.jpg

15. David427

David427 Active Member

It's amazing what you mine guys will/can do to run as efficiently as possible.

16. lumberjack

lumberjack Senior Member

I'm surprised the platform trailer could handle that much beaming/bridging load with the tracks across the deck like that. There sure is a lot of weight over the 10 rows of axles between the front tack and the end of the counterweight support. There are 6 rows between the bucket and the front track.

17. alco

alco Senior Member

I disagree. The chains aren't to arrest movement, they are to keep movement from beginning. Once something has started to move, nothing is going to stop it. But by keeping even a little force applied against movement in the opposite direction force is going to be applied, the load won't start to move in the first place. That's what the chains are there for. If the force is large enough, the load is going to go, but small forces applied to the load where it may creep a little, will be held in check. Those small movements are what become big problems, really fast, as they tend to compound into a full on slide.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  18. David427

David427 Active Member

I would tend to agree with your disagreement.

;)

19. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

I agree as well. In a serious event, the chains will break, but for keeping small movements from becoming large ones, they will do just fine.

20. Slidey

Slidey Well-Known Member

HD fitter
    Apparently Downer EDI are going to move the R9800 from Xmas Creek to Roy Hill in one piece in the very near future