• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best winter boots for a mobile mechanic.

RLU_tech

Occupation
Mechanic
So what is the best winter boot for a heavy equipment mechanic who is on the road? What do you wear for the cold, snow, slush, water, ice, etc.??

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Hard to beat a good pair of Redwings. The American made ones. The Chinese, Irish setters aren't necessarily bad, just not as good as the premium wings. But they're pricey. Approximately 300 around here.

Dangers are a close 2nd but dont have the dealer network/ support.

Just my 2cents worth

RLU_tech

Occupation
Mechanic
Hard to beat a good pair of Redwings. The American made ones. The Chinese, Irish setters aren't necessarily bad, just not as good as the premium wings. But they're pricey. Approximately 300 around here.

Dangers are a close 2nd but dont have the dealer network/ support.

Just my 2cents worth
I have the Red Wings you’re talking about. They’re great boots in a dry scenario, but with slush or snow, you’ve got wet feet.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Mine repel water real good. Dont think they'll last 8-10 hours with out some over shoes. I roll with 2 pair in the truck one on and a bag of extra dry socks. I can't work with wet feets. I refuse to be more miserable than I usually am. :)
And stupid autocorrect swapped dangers for Danners.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I worked in Carolinas a lot, my feet came oversized so end up in high dollar shoe stores special order or on line buys, Carolinas(safety toe) had a bigger toe box as I found.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Heard good things about Carolinas, just haven't ever seen a pair. I hear they are a quality boot, long life and can actually be re-soled . Not common anymore.
I worked in Carolinas a lot, my feet came oversized so end up in high dollar shoe stores special order or on line buys, Carolinas(safety toe) had a bigger toe box as I found.

Just the opposite here, hardly ever find my size, they dont usually stock them that small.:mad:

Old Doug

I have a pair of the Redwings they are good but they say to spray with some kind of spray i have been useing boot oil or saddle soap. If its real bad a like over boots. I use the 2 buckle ones alot. They keep your feet warm,dry and if your welding you will not burn holes in a 200.00 pair of boots. If your in deep mud you can take them off and have clean boots.They are also cooler in the summer i wear them alot when i presser wash.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I wear a 14C, can get by with a lace up D. Hard to get 14s in any form but narrow sucks a crank to find. I either use spray silicone boot treatment or on better will keep them longer used Neatsfoot LIBERALLY to seal them up as long as possible.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I'm wondering how many forgo the steel toe in the winter. I've been in below zero temps a couple of times and found that when steel toe gets cold you can never get warmed up. Most of the northern mechanics I've dealt with go with Sorel insulated boots.

TVA

Never had them, but I know people who switched from Red Wings to Keen, and lived them.
John can actually visit the factory - it’s in his neck of the woods!

RLU_tech

Occupation
Mechanic
I'm wondering how many forgo the steel toe in the winter. I've been in below zero temps a couple of times and found that when steel toe gets cold you can never get warmed up. Most of the northern mechanics I've dealt with go with Sorel insulated boots.
Being from Wisconsin, this sparked my curiosity. What’s the best for the bitter cold elements? Steel toe boot with an overshoe? Insulated sorel? Hunting boot?

TVA

Being from Wisconsin, this sparked my curiosity. What’s the best for the bitter cold elements? Steel toe boot with an overshoe? Insulated sorel? Hunting boot?
I’ve had once composite toe, it helps.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Working Nuke to get thru security with boots on HAD to use Composite Toe, prefer steel for toe box size but get along with Carolina Composites.

Tugger2

shopping

I hate gum boots for working ,but last winter up north working on an ice bridge in -30,-40 with slush coming up thru the ice in places these were the best . Never a day with cold feet, just a drag slogging along in clod hoppers like these. They are called Baffins

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The look kind of like Ketchikan tennis shoes. They use them all over Southeast Alaska.

Tugger2

If your really serious you can stick the corks { Caulks i guess} in them for super traction, But then your screwed when you jump up on the steel deck of the machine. Trade one hazard for another.

Old Doug

I wear a 14C, can get by with a lace up D. Hard to get 14s in any form but narrow sucks a crank to find. .
I wear a 11 1/2b or 12 b i can under stand your pain. I wore army hoots for years because i could find them in my size. There was a surplus store in STJ Mo were i got then . They wear like iron and fill like iron. Redwings dont always fit the best. I would love to have a pair of boots custom made. It would be great just to go any were and buy boots that fit.

terex herder

For you guys in Missouri (and anyone else driving I70 40 miles east of the Kansas border), Kleinschmidts in Higginsville has the best boot store I have ever encountered. They advertise 20,000 pairs, and I think that is an understatement. All paired up, out on the floor, ready to try on. No waiting for a shoe clerk to bring one pair out at a time. Until you start trying boots, you can't appreciate how much sizes change between manufactures. I can find a 10EE that is to big, and a 11D that is to small. Lace up, slip on, steel toe, cowboy boot, exotic leather, they have it all.