• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best place to find 18k pound front springs?

Copenhagen

I need to get rid of my 12,000 lb springs and replace them with the 18,000's. Anyone know any good sources?

togoffrd

Midwest Spring in Denver can set you up. They'll get new springs or build up your exsisting set. I think Drivetrain does some spring work also. I don't know if Midwest has a shop in the Springs or just in Denver and Greeley.

Tom

Copenhagen

I havent actually called around to any spring shops yet. I hoped that someone had a good website or shop to check out.

I got loaded real heavy today and my front axle rode on the bumpstops for the entire 10 mile trip.:mad:

dumptrucker

They are out of Whitehall ,PA. I did the complete rear end suspension in my mack last year and I bought the parts off of these guys. I ordered parts on monday and they were here on tuesday at noon. My spring shop that I usually use up here said the parts would cost 3000 to 3500 from them. I bought them for 2300 dollars shipped to me.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
What is the axle rating on the truck ?

If its only a 12,000lb axle you might end up bending it if you overload it. Also what size of the front tires you are running ?

Copenhagen

The front axle is 12k. My goal is not to run overloaded, I want the springs mostly for the added height. Also, they would serve as a little bit of insurance in case I do get a tad heavy again.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I would start searching the junk yards for a heavier front axle. I know you would like to have extra spring capacity but you still can run the risk of bending or breaking the front axle. With the current springs you have now its a warning sign your overloaded when the axle stops are touching.

As the others said find a good spring shop in your area they can build you a set of springs for your needs. Going from a tractor front suspension to a vocational front suspension is going to take some measurements.

The cheapest option is Timbrens it will ride better that the factory bump stops for those times your overloaded. Timbren has the rubber springs for the front axles of class 8 trucks.

Copenhagen

How would I recognize a heavier front axle? I have been driving trucks for about a year now, but I am pretty green on doing any modifications other than chrome.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Search the truck wreckers ask them for a 18,000-20,000lb front axle out of a International truck so it will be a easy swap into your truck. You want the front springs and spring shackles and spring pins. You want the axle drum to drum with S cam brakes no wedge brakes.

When I looked at your Webshots pictures that truck you have is a real short wheelbase with the set back axle. I imagine your front axle is overloaded all the time. Eventually something will bend.

Then once you have a heavier axle you make the decision do you want to run Supersingle steers or the heavy skinny steer tire 315/80R22.5 which is rated at 9000lbs per tire compare to a 11R22.5 6100lbs per tire which isn't enough. Most gravel trucks in my area run the 425/65R22.5 steer tire which is rated at 11,400lbs per tire. The supersingles handle better also they have a higher speed rating 65mph compared to 55mph for the 315s because the 425 disperses the heat better.

If your International doesn't have dual steering boxes then your better off with the 315 steer tires.

It will be worth putting a heavier front axle and springs under the truck it will give you more leeway on payload and durability. The truck will handle alot better with a load. I imagine now the truck doesn't steer that nice with a heavy load the 12,000lb front axle bends and messes with the wheel alinement.

The old L-9000 Fords had the same problem the ones around here only had 16,000lb front axles and the trucks were always overweight on the front axle.

Your front axle capacity doesn't mean squat if the tires don't have enough capacity. I forget how many pounds per inch of tire width is.

Last thing the axle you want should have budd hubs on it so you can run fancy chrome wheels :D

Not much you can do with dayton (spoke) wheels except for painting them.

Occupation
industrial engine and power systems intern
Just to add to what was said, if you do go looking for a used axle make sure to checkout the used axle's king pin bore and make sure it isn't going to need sleeves or anything. and i would consider putting new kingpins in your truck since everything is apart it will save you $$$ in the end

dumptrucker

I believe the pounds per inch of tire is 600 lbs. Anyone else? Lately I seem to have come down with the case of C.R.S. syndrome.