• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best Grease for Heavy Equipment (Graders, Loaders, Dozers)

What grease do you prefer?

• Total voters
Hey,

I seen there was an older post about this but the last post was from 2014. I wanted to see what everyone views as a great grease brand for their heavy equipment and why. Thank you

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Permalube Extreme Green for all the reasons stated in their spec's. :)

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I've had good luck with the mobil 222. We use a lot of the mystic red at work. It's not as sticky as I'd like for the rotaries in the Lodrils but everywhere else I have yet to have an issue other than when it's cold like 15F or lower it sure gets stiff....and in the summer when it's 110 it's sure thin. They're stuck on it so that's what we use. I did buy some other stuff for the rotaries but I don't recall what it is.

DIYDAVE

Amsoil Ngli #2 off road. thick enough to stay put, thin enough to pump well...

51cub

Occupation
semi retired
We use Amsoil, also. I have no complaints, and haven't heard any

farmboy555

Occupation
Owner Operator
I grease my excavator’s every 4 hour’s
Use the black mystic

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
In the old days mystic was the choice if you had the coins. Ever since the Venezuelans bought it the quality went south. I've been trying to find something ever since. Tried mobil cmp and the current mystics but wasnt sticky enough. Lube guy turned me on to shell gadus s2, s3. Made from 300 base instead of 200.

Like td25 said any is better than none. Most of it IMO is frequency of application. And little bits the more frequent are better.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Anything Shell or Mobil I have had good luck with those and Chevron motor oils. Had a heavy spray on extreme shear pressure lube we used on pivot gear drives on cranes, excavators, boom trucks rotation gear in utilities but darned if I can remember the name. Was sticky and lasted longer than anything else I have used, and spray on, believe it to have been a Shell Product.

Amsoil has a following, I don't; Schaeffers too and I don't. I like synthetics for longer life span but in the end it comes down to good maintenance periodicity and sample/evaluations schedules to determine what works what doesn't where I stick with that type program or get into a mileage or hours schedule. I prefer Mobil One series for synthetics and Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo oils for non-syn applications.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
When I started making a living in this business the open gear dope was everywhere in cranes and no matter what, if you touched one of those line machines you had stained skin for a week or more.

I have never really cared about who's grease it was, just that the joints were being greased. Having said that I do wonder sometimes about the different types of greases. What is the difference between a lithium base and a moly base? What should be used for things like pinned joints as opposed to gear applications. When I was in the USN there was a different type of grease for every different machine. Boat davits go one type of grease in the bearings, another on the gears, another on the lines and finally another on the sheaves and pivot points on the boom. Steering gear and anchor windless got something different and fire pumps was something completely different again. Years later I had an oil company engineer tell me that 90 plus percent of the work a grease is doing is excluding water and that any grease will do the job as long as it can flow around a sliding surface. So really why would any grease be better than any other?

walkerv

We currently use shaeffer 238 in tubes till the stock is used up , then i have castrol contractor grease waiting it is 5% moly in 120 lb kegs

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I can't think of the manufacturer, but we used to use a red grease for dredging jobs as it lasted longer in the salt water. Started getting a better deal for buying it by the pallet, so it is used for everything now. Hard to pump in winter though. Sinto perhaps

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I know the lube maybe, Kendall if memory serves. Would Not emulsify like conventional lubes or become displaced by water or salts. Blood red and also did not separate as conventional lubes do into oils and solids.

crashz

Any grease is good. My last employer had a group of operators who would not grease the machines. Lots of dry, squeeky joints. Close personal relationship with a machine shop that would bore and re-bush joints. Lots of money spent.

On my own machines, I'd like to say I'm picky, but I'm not. As long as they are greased daily. However I did order Amsoil Moly Grease NGL#1. The #1 pumps easier in the winter and makes it easier to grease a machine or truck. So far I like it, but over the summer, I'll try to use up some of my other random tubes.