• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Belarus 825

Occupation
Plant Operator, Mechanic, Rancher, Farmer, Jack of
Just a coment on the cetrifuge oil filter. We use them in conjuction with the reguler oil filters on our natural gas compressors the type we run are Microspin and I do see a benifit to them. We use them on a slip streem so all the oil dose not have to pass through them, you would have to have a Microspin oil centrifuge as big as a house to handel all the oil that gose through a 2,650 Hp V16 White Superior engen. The bigest problem I find is the cleen up the heavy deposits that stick to the inside of the outside cover of the filter. They are about the consistecy of tar and it takes a good deal of solvent and paint scraping to get her back to new conditon but they do offer a paper sheet that is about like photo paper that wraps around the inside of the cover and if you put two of them in there the cleen up is cut in half as the tar is stuck to the paper and not the metal case. I Hope that this link works it is just some info i found ont the Microspin :drinkup http://www.wedlink.net/pages/documents/publications/articlesOnlineViewing/mc42c.pdf

dany

Occupation
professor
belarus

I bought a new belarus 575 4x4 65pto hp 1991 and later (1996) a used 925 turbo 4x4 95hp. Always be please with these. Both are below 3000hrs. So far both are going strong and no real big problems, only minor things. Recently changed head gasket on the 925
Positive points I find with these tractors
1. very low fuel consumption as compared to any other brands
2. strong torque engine
3. simple mechanics; no electronics
4 reusable/cleanable oil filter
5. parts easily found
6. fun to blow snow with
7. high clearance to go in the forest
8. good visibility for farm work
9 got two tractors below the price of only one equivalent more sophiscated one

Negative points.
1. speed not synchronized
2. no power shift
3. nothing automatic
4. no a/c, but here in quebec this is not really a problem we have about 5 days per year when the temperature is really hot
5. not a so good look as compared to american rigs

Dany
:)

dany

Occupation
professor
belarus

Oups!, it is a 572, not a 575.

Sorry, its holiday time:drinkup

AndyGrevis

Occupation
Bobcat 863; Case CS150; Belarus 82; Claas
here is the official Belarus site: http://belarus-tractor.com/en/main.aspx
not all will cross-reference, as they used to have different numeration for export markets, it was to my surprise that they started to produce tracked units as well...

Bison

Occupation
Bison rancher
I have this old 78 belarus 800(2w dr),15000+hrs on it.starts easy(24v series paralel switch,12 v starter),runs on fumes,never fails
The ideal feeding tractor,packs two 6' bales on front and 2 on the rear,plows trough 2' of snow.
I only replaced the OEM axle with a cockshutt 1850 wheatland axle cause it kept breaking the king pins

Attachments

• bale forks 004.jpg
    bale forks 004.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 3,135

HSV127

We have owned 5 of them over the years, the old man loves them!
Two BX70's and three 952's
Clutches don't like too much loader work, gotta love those oil leaks, so called 4WD with a slip clutch in the front driveshaft only works when you don't need it! down pressure on rear 3PL and air compressor are handy.
Parts in NZ aren't too bad to get hold of and are generally pretty cheap.

Here's a pic of one of our 952's

Attachments

• DSC05158.jpg
    DSC05158.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 2,484

Puffie40

I have a bit of respect for the Belarus's. Here's our 820 (Castings indicate a 1979 vintage):
img_5459_2_1.jpg

It was left on the acrage we bought, and it was not exactly in good shape (Only the starter worked, it leaked hydralic oil, was addicted to ether and the brakes barely worked) But I could depend on it starting after priming the fuel system and giving it a boost, and we used it for about a year as a loader tractor.

I parked it after our 580B backhoe finally arrived (I was never so happy to have a enclosed cab with a heater again in my life!) But I still want to somehow reward it for being the one POS left on the place that was reliable!

Rockyroad

I have a Belarus 572, and I think they are good tractors in the right situation. Not something a contractor would want to run all day - but great as a utility tractor around the farm. Yes, the Belarus tractors can be called 'basic' and 'last century' engineering, but that can be an advantage because if you have a few mechanical clues and a workshop manual then you can fix most things on them yourself. There is no electronics or mechanical 'sealed units' that make repairs impossible and expensive.

MIG 920

We have a MIG 920 Belarus , these are about 5 years old ,and have a synchro box , air con and modern cab , I dont know if they have been sold else where , but has been a good tractor . On the oil filter . I was a tank crewman in the Autralian Army ,at the time we had leopard tanks from germany , they had a certrifcale oil filter on them as well , work really well and that was a flat 10 MTU a very good doesel engine

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Welcome there Mig

Mac102004

I guess they are better than using a horse or ox to do your work around the farm. I've never heard anything good about them. They are a "primitive" kind of tractor, definitely no frills.

funkinalive

Occupation
Student
...good tractors in the right situation...

yes i would agree with this the most. we had a 420 i believe, and apart from its electronics, it was a mechanically reliable tractor. it shined the most in the winter and powering stationary equipment with relatively good fuel economy (depending on work). the things i liked most about it, apart from the oil filter, was the auto decompressor and ability to disengage the hydraulic pump (for cold starts). regardless, you still had to take a flame to the intake to get it running in cold weather. the down force on the 3ph and ground speed pto was unique. dont know about the newer ones but these tractors were hell to maneuver, with little to no ergonomic thought put into them. for productivity I would stick with a more modern tractor, but if the world where to crash tomorrow id be looking for this tractor.

Browne

Occupation
Diesel Fitter/Mechanic
that was a good buy, we have a 100hp 4x4 non turbo belarus on our farm, its real easy to fix and very reailable, its a bit big but unbeliveable to pull one day a JD 6920 got stuck in swamp and it failed 2 big tractors to pull it out one was a valtra and the other a john deere, and the belarus managed to pull it out with double wheels(dualies)...

MBTRAC

Belarus 1770.jpg
Hi - I bought this Belarus 1770 185hp "beast" second hand for just under .AUD$5K & have put around 600hrs+ on it in less than 12months - No breakdowns so far & only maintenance costs have been for oil & hyd filters + $485 for a compressor & regass to fix the A/C.

Pro's
- Purchased originally with the intent of a fun project for repowering with a Cat & Allison auto combo for field bin haul outs & discoveredafter purchase it ran far too well to bother, in fact runs so well it's been abused for tillage & other generally tractor duties so as not to wear out my newer gear ( JD's, CNH'S & others).
- In total its now done 7879hrs & even if was to break "terminally" tomorrow by my reckoning at $10/hr (@ my use of 500hrs/$5K purchase ) less each hr + fuel+basic maintenance it's worked out a damn cheap 185hp tractor (given I'll also get say$500+ for scrap for the China trip if/when it finally dies).
- Built like a T34 tank and all steel ( well as close to steel as eastern bloc steel is ) is double+ the normal thickness of modern tractors/ditto for castings ( which seem to be non-dressed sand castings), no plastics/polycarbonates in sight, this thing weight heaps so no need for ballast
- Easy to work on, low (make that zero) tech & very basic, no electrics (probably used an abacus at best a slide rule for design/engineering/production rather than a calculator) & the engineering tolerances are measured in inches/feet rather than thou so you don't have to very precise on finding/fitting the original part as virtually anything can be made to fit.
- Economical to run sipping fuel & environmentally friendly as it runs on anything (probably because of the tolerances or maybe designed original to run on home made vodka), whilst I wouldn't recommend it we run this on a mix of our "cocktail" of all (screened) waste oil 30/70 diesel (saves money & all the hassle of waste oil disposal)
- Has a unique onboard controlled lubrication system which works on the basis of weeping oil from everything & over everything to prevent wear & rust
- 4WD strength & capability, the axle are strong enough to tilt the globe on its axis, virtually impossible to bog & easily recovers much larger equipment – for its size the capability of mountain goat with the heart of a bear!!
- Starts every time; the starter winds very slowly & long (again complimenting a unique engine design working on the principle of filling the cylinders with diesel to the point of "hydraulic’g", displacing the more common diesel ignition scenario of glow plugs/misting/compression ) with the tractor always firing up after the ritual chant of verbal abuse & one puff of black smoke in salutation to Gorby & maybe other gods of the USSR

Con's
- Your neighbours will firstly laugh at you for buying a s/h Belarus (but not so much when they're sitting in the paddock waiting for the dealer technician to arrive to reflash the computer on their JD's & CNH's, even less when you are able to "shout" them drinks at the pub with the money you're saving & their laughing all stops when you loan them the Belarus beast to complete their tillage as the replacement ECU still hasn't arrived to mobilise their JD or CNH)
- The wiring defies all logic & is a complete mystery, doing away with conventions of + & -'s, & is more like some miniature nuclear powerplant where all you need to do is concentrate on containing the heat & smoke from exposure to the atmosphere (our multimeter has proved useless for diagnostic, probably had a geiger counter included when new in the factory tool kit)
- "LOUD" make that VERY LOUD, sounds like God clearing his throat on a bad day, reasonates for miles & requires ear plugs +over ear hearing protection so radio’s/CB’s & the like are superfluous as cab fitment. Subscribes to the screaming GM theory of converting diesel into noise = bulk “grunt”
- It's a very "historic & agricultural" tractor, in that it drives/operates extremely “agricultural” and historic as it pays homage in design/ergonomics to the Steam or is that Stone Age?
- Require 5 very unique special tools: being sledge hammer, stilson wrench, easy outs, thread locker & occasionally MIG welder.
- Try as you might the Belarus beast just won't die, several of our "farmhands" & neighbours have tried their best & been defeated, and nothing short of the tri-combo of a stake through the heart, silver bullet & Viking burial has a chance (& even then I'm sure the beast will rise again like the Phoenix...)

Would I buy another S/H Belarus, you bet if ever this one manages to wear out….would I buy a new Belarus, not while you can continue to pick up these rare beasts at give away prices S/H…..we’ve all come to admire this USSR marvel & for all its foibles/idiosyncrasies....it sure aint pretty.... and despite our farmhands treating it like the rejected relative you really only have to tolerate occasionally at Christmas, weddings & funerals.....

Last edited:

Bison

Occupation
Bison rancher
I bought this 93 belarus 925 last may for $4000.Only 800 hrs on it,been sitting for a year,i needed it today,..it fired up in a split sec.
Just like my 78 belarus 820 in the pic a few posts back , still fires up in an instant...over 15000 hrs on it.It just wont die.

Nothing wrong with belarus i tell ye
Cheap on fuel,easy on the wallet.

Attachments

• belarus tractor 925 003.jpg
    belarus tractor 925 003.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 11,670

RobertR

Any advice on where did you get your belarus, and a price maybe? Im looking to buy a cheap tractor that could be helpful with my work and I'm looking through belarus tractors category at Mascus, but I haven't yet decided on one. What are other good options besides Belarus?
Thanks!