• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Belarus 825

celticcrusader

picked up a belarus825 4x4 tractor 385hrs. at auction this spring fixed some small problems and have run it all summer for hay operation with no problems. I am suprised how good it is on fuel for a 80hp. 4x4 tractor. it is simple to fix parts are shipped in in 3days from mn. a little clumsey in tight spots, brakes could be better , a no frills but not bad tractor in my opinion.

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Belarus

picked up a belarus825 4x4 tractor 385hrs. at auction this spring fixed some small problems and have run it all summer for hay operation with no problems. I am suprised how good it is on fuel for a 80hp. 4x4 tractor. it is simple to fix parts are shipped in in 3days from mn. a little clumsey in tight spots, brakes could be better , a no frills but not bad tractor in my opinion.

They are an awsome tractor for feeding hay in the winter.

AndyGrevis

Occupation
Bobcat 863; Case CS150; Belarus 82; Claas
I believe those are export versions of Belarus tractors with bigger cab and better quality components and assembly than their regular counterparts from Belorussia. Its interesting you mention lower fuel consumption, as i was always under impression that they consume more given that its basically 50 year old design, thou yours most likely is turbo. Just watch out for leaks and engine/gearbox joint bolts and you should be good.
Post a pic later ;)

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
I'd rather have a 1965 4020 JD than a Belarus of any vintage. Way handier, easier to get parts for and a lot more dependable even when it's 40 plus years older! Guys bought them for a spell in my area but gave up on them as they were just to much grief. Pourous castings, things falling off, parts hard to come by, just not worth the alleged savings in the initial purchase!

bill onthehill

They got around good in snow and that was about all. They don't take the abuse of normal farming work and parts are a total pain.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
has that got the front wheel assist drive going down the king post?? If I recall the gear lever requires you to rotate the gear lever for some selections... Watch the starters on them as they are of poor construction and most of them here had a replacement lucas fitted.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
dad has a 420a 4x4.... its about 60 hp. As for fuel it does ok. Centerfuge oil filter isnt a bad idea. Air cooled in the winter is cause the blasted thing will not start and you can't plug it in. Their 4x4 does good going foreward but is useless going down hill. I saw what my dad paid for his back in '88 and he can't get half that now.

If he had bought a case ih, or deere, he could have sold it for the same or more than he bought it for...

Right now it sets in the shed and dad uses an ih 966 for almost all of his field work, 1/3 - 1/2 again bigger , but it has better visibility, turns tighter, shifts easier, and doesn't really use any more fuel, starts in the winter too. Basically although the International is 18 years older, it still works better.... If he only would have bought a mx 100 instead of the belarus...

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
The 825 was tops IMO.

Just to be clear, I hated trying to do any work with one.:)

They worked good feeding hay in the winter. With a block heater and glow plugs they would always start down here. Course if we got below 0 in would be a record.:D

They worked real good pumping water also. One 825 with a 4 to 1 overdrive on the PTO would replace 2 or 3 power units row watering beans and corn.

td25c

I have a customer that has a Belarus about the same size as yours.He likes it.They are an interesting tractor from the Soviet Union.All the drain & check plugs ,check pionts are painted white.I think the only filter it has on it is the fuel filter.The engine oil gets filterd by a "cyclonic"type screen and slings the debris against the wall of a canister.So you pull the canister off & scrape out the crud with your pocket knife and check the screen.I thought it was kind of a neet idea being there is not a "NAPA" parts store on every corner in Russia so they kepped the tractor simple in design yet effective kind of like an ak 47 rifle.Good old Russian ingenuity I guess.I you cant get an oil filter ,then make an engine that dosent need one.Pretty neet.

AndyGrevis

Occupation
Bobcat 863; Case CS150; Belarus 82; Claas
one thing to keep in mind that almost all engines of russian farm tractors of the era got oil *separators*, probably due to two key reasons - very low oil quality, and parts availability. there is one more filter btw, in hyd tank on the return line.

Timo

An old topic, I know, but still, gotta say it.
The Belarus has its problems and all, but basically, it gets the job done. Has for a number of years. IMHO MTZ-50 and -52 are really beautiful machines. The only thing I don't like is that they are started with a pony engine instead of a common starter. Nevertheless, I would like to own one.

Dane

not all of the belarus tractors have pony engines. i used to work for a Belarus Dealer, and i liked the tractor, it is a good cheep to run machine, and will provide years of service, provided you treat them well, and have one experienced operator running the machine. i really like there method of oil cleaning, i want to take a centripcal oil filter off a belarus and retofit it to my pickup truck, never have to buy an oil filter again.

Komatsu 150

I don't think there are very many fans of Fiat cars here but they did had a centrifugal oil filter on their sedans back in the 60s. It was in addition to a reg. filter. It was in the crank damper and required cleaning, I think every third oil change. I always thought it was a really clever idea but I suppose they quit because people would just neglect to service it or didn't even know it was there.

Occupation
Plant Operator, Mechanic, Rancher, Farmer, Jack of
We have two Belarus's down on the ranch don't quit remember the sizes for shur they were both bought brand new and have an outstanding number of hours on them now. one of them you could not start in the winter to save your life:Banghead and the other one we take down on the river to feed out our loose hay with and it will start with a little shot of candy :ban when nothing else will even turn over it also helps to change the engen oil out to a 10w in the late fall to. They are relitivly easy to work on but it seems to be an act of congrass to get parts for them. I had a guy tell me that a Belarus was like a bic lighter (you use it for a time then through the dang thing away) I think he hit the nail on the head with that! Overall they are a nice machine but not built to handel everyday use year round the biggest problem we have is we break at least one front spindel and rip the center out of the front rim a year.:pointhead We just had to learn to keep one of each on hand.

farmerleach

those Belarus tractors are something else. you either love them or hate them. The guys around here that have them seem to like them, cheep tractor, good on fuel, reliable, and simple to work on.

I helped a friend change the head gasket on the engine in his Belarus. The service manual was rather difficult to understand, being that it was translated directly from Russian to English. The head gaskets are twice as thick as any gasket in a NA or European engine. I guess thats to make up for the machining groves in the head and block.

They might be a little rough around the edges, but they get the job done.

stock

Occupation
I remember doing a head gasket on a Gardiner engine and it took two of us to place the gasket it was so thin.that engine went back to work and as long as I can remember it was never opened again.If memory serves me correct it went to India afterwards,was one beautiful engine could balance a coin on the rocker cover when it was running.

icestationzebra

"i want to take a centripcal oil filter off a belarus and retofit it to my pickup truck, never have to buy an oil filter again.
10-27-2009 06:31 PM"

That's because your engine won't last long enough. The typical engine oil filter, depending on quality, will remove most of the particles 20-40micron and larger. To get that with a cyclonic "filter" you would need holes smaller than 0.0017" (or 325 mesh), which I really doubt the Belarus has. The Belarus engine was designed with loose fits, your truck engine was not.

ISZ

stock

Occupation
"i want to take a centripcal oil filter off a belarus and retofit it to my pickup truck, never have to buy an oil filter again.
10-27-2009 06:31 PM"

That's because your engine won't last long enough. The typical engine oil filter, depending on quality, will remove most of the particles 20-40micron and larger. To get that with a cyclonic "filter" you would need holes smaller than 0.0017" (or 325 mesh), which I really doubt the Belarus has. The Belarus engine was designed with loose fits, your truck engine was not.

ISZ

You my man are inaccurate with that statement because I rightly or wrongly believe you may have little or no experience of this type of filter set up.
Oil-flow-Diagrama.jpg

The filter cleans with centrifugal force,caused by the rotor spinning at a very high speed.The heavier particles in the oil are thrown with such force that they stick to the rotor housing and can be a pure pig to get out.
In my extensive experience of being on the spanners,I would have to say it is the best filtration system I have come across.Where it was fitted to an engine that I rebuilt I can say with out reproach that they were the cleanest engines internally,they leaked like sieves because there was no tar to close any minor gap on a seal or gasket.
As they had to be cleaned every item that was heavier than the oil was in there,steel bearing metal etc etc,consequently one gained a good idea of how the engine was wearing.
What let this type of equipment down was the quality and tolerance of the materials used and they way that nothing changed,bear in mind that these filters were used in the sixties,and I saw a recently manufactured 5cyl diesel with one not to long ago.
If I was out in the sticks I would sooner one of these filters on my engine than your disposal cartridge type,no spares required and a cleaner engine to boot.

icestationzebra

Well, before I shoot of my mouth again I did some research. Looking at your picture and what I found online they are different than what I thought they were. While there are a lot of good comments and recommendations from engine manufacturers, I didn’t find too much solid engineering data.

- I couldn’t find any micron or efficiency ratings. There is a lot of emphasis on soot in the 0.5-1.5 micron range. The Mann+Hummel, Spinner II, and Cummins/Fleetguard literature all reinforce this. (and the soot problem continues to get worse as diesel emissions are tightened) A Cummins product training document states that the range of particles their filter is effective in removing can be changed by slightly modifying the design.

- "The heavier particles in the oil are thrown with such force that they stick to the rotor housing and can be a pure pig to get out." I am slightly surprised can get enough particles to initially stick to the bowl to get the “dirt mass” started. Yes there is centrifugal force, but there is also a lot of oil trying to wipe it off. I think this is why I couldn’t find any hard data on the filtering effectiveness; the small particles get “stuck” on the sub-micron roughness while the bigger particles tend to get washed away by the oil flow.

- It appears that many of them use some type of mechanism to keep big chunks of the “dirt mass” from breaking loose and entering the turbine area, probably when it is shut down or you hit a big bump. Your picture shows a type of dam while another type shows a screen. Mann+Hummel allude to this in their literature. – The “internal rib plastic rotors ensure that all of the oil and hence the contaminant is rotating at the same speed as the rotor.” These are not recommended for boats, probably because the wave action dislodges the particles or upsets the oil flow in the bowl.

- Every one I came across was marketed as a bypass filter only. Either they need the drain line to gravity feed back to the oil pan, or use a source of compressed air to force it back to the pan.

It looks like there are good for polishing the oil but not recommended as the only filtration.

ISZ