• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BAD miss, may have major trouble! 1967 580ck. Roughest backhoe in captivity.

packratc

Went to the mud pit and got the poor thing to run. Belching white smoke & missing. Took off the valve cover. Kinda suspect one pushrod being slightly bent just by looking. A few of the rocker arms were so loose I could stick a large screwdriver on top of the valve. Didn't have feeler guage so I just snugged them up a little but left them loose. As the hoe was sitting at such a terrible angle I got it to pull itself down in the pond. I was trying to get it to the upper end which is a rock I can stand on. No luck! When the mud on the tire was scrapped of by the fender and pushed against my shin, I left it. As I had the air cleaner off I noticed that there was an intermittent blow back through the intake. Isn't this signs of a burnt intake valve? I don't know nuttin' about no diesel! While it was running and the valve cover off, I lossened the first two cylinders injector lines. Like I was bleeding it. Plenty of fuel but not effect when either one was loosened. Looked to me like it was running on the back two which have the new injectors. If the weather is good tomorrow, I'll get a couple of pallets to set in the mud and set the valves. I'll have to read the manual which is on CD. Seems to me I could get each valve to the top of the cylinder and set them. Any further suggestions and/or comments are hereby solicited as you all have been a great help so far. Thanks, Muddy Packratc in Tennessee.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
While it was running and the valve cover off, I lossened the first two cylinders injector lines. Like I was bleeding it. Plenty of fuel but not effect when either one was loosened.

It's beginning to sound like you have a bad head gasket.

packratc

I hear you Tinkerer! Wife will have to teach me how when she gets home from work tomorrow. I can tie my own shoes and I have stayed at a Holiday Inn, but that's about it in this world. I've also thought of the head gasket. Have to get a way to accomplish a compression check. Thanks for the replies. Packratc

packratc

OK Now, Who's hiding the instructions on how to post pictures? Please direct me there before she loses interest in helping with the task. I'm trying to learn something here. Thanks,Packratc

packratc

The first pic doesn't look like much. If you look above the muffler on the second picture you can see the tracks that I was in for the first picture. After mucking around for a while on two cylinders there was no way it was going to pull its self out. I have this $500 '67 Dodge winch truck, also with no brakes, that we deployed to the attack. Tied it to a cedar tree and about 60 feet of chain linked the two. We had first tried without the tree and the two ton truck tried to stand up. It still tried to stand up but when it recognised the chain to the tree, it settled in and idled the hoe on out. Couldn't get pics of that as i was on the hoe and Chico was in the winch truck. There's a rusted hole about face high in the side of the muffler. As you can tell by the smoke, old hoe ain't running too well. I'll swap an injector or two tomorrow and see if I can borrow a compression guage. (No I don't live in the trailer. I got for moving it and it's dry storage.) Comments and questions are welcome. Thanks, Packratc

packratc

Put #1 (old injector) in #3 hole. Put injector #3 (new injector) in #1 hole. Numer 3 & 4 still firing. Number 1 & 2 not firing. Looks like either head gasket between #'s 1 & 2, or one has a burnt intake valve. Will probably take all pushrods out and insure their straightness before I do anything else. Found a farmer friend that has the expensive compression guage kit that Harbor Freight sells. It has mostly automobile and some tractor adaptors. Has nothing close to the pencil injector of the Case 188 Cu In. I still want to do the compression check before I pull the head. Any more suggestions? Thanks, Packratc

dwloop

Pactratc,

Here's an idea for you, since you have already pulled the injectors this will be easy. If you have a portable air tank, pull the number one injector then turn the engine to where number one is at top dead center, both rockers with some slack. Both number one valves should be closed. Take an air hose and seal in the injector hole the best way you can, a rubber nozzle would work the best for this, but a wet tightly wrapped rag would work if held in there and apply air pressure. Some will leak past the rings to the crankcase with its age if the valves are sealed, but if you have a leaking valves it will blow out the intake or exhaust. If you have the number two injector out and the air comes out there, well you know the issue. I had a blown head gasket on my 580B, same engine. It would blow the radiator half empty when cold, are you having bubbles in the radiator??

Just some ideas....

HTH,
Dave

packratc

Good suggestion! I looked for bubbles in the radiator yesterday while it was running. Saw none but was wondering if the thermostat had to be open for bubbles to show up in the radiator. Don't think so but was/am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the route that the compression would take to get to the radiator. If I have the rocker arms off to check the pushrods for straightness it would be a good time to put the air to the cylinders. Since the world's roughest backhoe in captivity hobbled its way to the shop, I'll use the air compressor for the air source instead of the portable air tank. On the topic of the Harbor Freight Diesel Compression kit, my friends seems to be different than the one shown on line (Harbor Freight Item # 46800). The new kit looks to me to have the pencil injector type adaptor. I do love to buy tools. I'm sure there'smmore fun to com in the future. These things love to eat dead presidents and I'm sure it's still hungry. Thanks, packratc

packratc

Drove to this side of Nasville today and picked up the $160. Diesel Compression Test Kit. As it was sealed and I wasn't sure that the adapter for the 188 case was included, I told asked the clerk if I could return it, unused, if it did not have the right fitting. He asssured me that I could as long as i had the receipt. If you look at the set on line it's pretty obvious which one is the pencil injector adapter. The manual verified that indeed it is the right one so I guess I'll keep the kit. Tomorrow, weather permitting, compression check time. Drum Roll, Please......Packratc