• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Backhoes and chainsaws

aighead

@Coytee I spent a couple years of my childhood in Hamilton as well! We lived right on Main Street, a couple blocks northwest of the river and downtown.

Dirttracker18

For those looking for a way to transport their saw, check out the ATV chainsaw mounts. This would function great or build one to match. I like the clamp version myself but to each his own. Something like that could be mounted on the exterior of the cab and be safe there.

61eB6xDOvaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

edgephoto

I like the chainsaw mount idea. I have 15 acres of heavily wooded land. I need to clear a spot for a house, shop building and driveway. I like the chainsaw mount idea. I could weld one to the fender. Thanks for the idea.

skyking1

I make a plywood box that fits it tight, with plywood around the bar. That way you just drop it in and go, like a rifle scabbard.

Kenelz

If its close to a house, I like to get a chain as high as possible to control, cut the wedge, pull on it, then make the back cut. Attaching the chain this way is probably not OSHA approved..

IMG_20180829_102451467.jpg

IMG_20180919_125949752.jpg

SlatcoAu

Just be careful when you are pushing over trees and the stumps come out. I ran over the side of a stump and it stood up about 12 ft of leftover tree and smashed out my side window. :(

Attachments

• IMG-20150414-WA0002 (2).jpg
    IMG-20150414-WA0002 (2).jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 26

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
NH that saw would be even more impressive if it was a panhead :D edgephoto I don't see a turbo on your saw, that's all that's missing...obviously both of you kids went to the Tim Taylor school of saw repair oh oh oh....

aighead

Not quite like the 2 above but I'm always amazed at when I see the death trap saws on what I assume were the '60s and 70's. I'm not huge into being a safety nazi and all that but those things looks scary just sitting there.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
My father grew up on a farm in Texas. For extra money they would harvest the pines on the property. To do this they used a chainsaw with a bow instead of a bar...Fast forward to when I was young, my dad purchased the old saw from his parents, and my brother and I were the new operators, as we used wood to heat the house. This was the heaviest saw I have ever seen as it was all aluminum. But, put the teardrop against the wood and raise the handle, and she would EAT...Eat like no other saw I have used. I don't know what ever happened that that old saw.

This these pics are from the internet, but this is the saw for sure
-antique_poulan_k_100_bow_chainsaw_rare_vintage-1_2000.jpg s-l400 (1).jpg

skyking1

I stihl have a pair of Stihls from before brakes in my shed. We got them new in 1980. It is odd because we had a Mac 55 in 1975 that had a brake on it.

colson04

I have a homelite 410 with no brake, and same vintage homelite 540 with a brake (late 80's saws).

@Swetz that thar be a 'bow saw'. There was a great write up some time ago on arboristsite about bow saws. They were designed as a pinchless chainsaw, ideal for cutting pulpwood.