• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

"Back in the Day"

trakloader

Someone Was Looking for A-Frames.....

A-Frames

Attachments

• Juskatla Pics 0771.jpg
    Juskatla Pics 0771.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,750
  • Juskatla Pics 14921.jpg
    Juskatla Pics 14921.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,756
  • Juskatla Pics 1461.jpg
    Juskatla Pics 1461.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,756
  • Juskatla Pics 0691.jpg
    Juskatla Pics 0691.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,754
  • Juskatla Pics 1511.jpg
    Juskatla Pics 1511.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,744

dirty4fun

More amazing pictures, I sure am enjoying them.

So the loader had to be pretty good to make a load that would ride. Very interesting.

I have noticed in the pictures most pretty lean from work, men. In the cook house the men are there to eat, looks like the forks are being put to hard use. No one talking, there to eat and then back to work. Hard work back then, for sure.

I like Contract Loggers first machine, good one!

Big Creek

The Old Portland Forestry Museum

I had a chance to go in this once before it burned in the early 60's. As a kid it was huge! This is a clipping from a magazine. The caption reads,

Forestry Building is a leftover from the 1905 Lewis and Clark Exposition, the West Coasts first worlds fair. Fifty-two Douglas fir tree trunks support great vault roof. Forestry exhibit inside, early logging equiptment outside including donkey engine.

Attachments

• Logging photos 002edit.jpg
    Logging photos 002edit.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,707

Jdigger4130

More, with some from 2008.
Hey TL. Are these the remnants of the old plank roads??? I love the "old growth" moss on em! Really pretty country ya fellas have up there! Thanks for getting the "after" pics up! I love how nature takes it back and gets ready for next time! These photos are great!

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Some Body SAVE ME please

Attachments

• LLL trucks 013 (Custom).jpg
    LLL trucks 013 (Custom).jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,695
  • LLL trucks 012 (Custom).jpg
    LLL trucks 012 (Custom).jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,694
  • LLL trucks 014 (Custom).jpg
    LLL trucks 014 (Custom).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,688

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Port McNeill. B.C. Northeren Vancouver Island, Come quick before a bird lands on it and it collapses

tree farmer

Simon Benson

A Benson log from Oak point camp marked for the Forestry Building. These 52 column logs were 6 feet in diameter and 60 plus feet tall. The worlds largest log cabin contained over a million BdFt. The structure was 206ft x 102ft x 72 ft tall. That is Simon standing next to one of the logs he donated. Special care was taken in the handling of there logs to keep the bark intact.

Attachments

• construction.jpg
    construction.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 1,724
  • forestry building columns.jpg
    forestry building columns.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 1,695
  • forestry building.jpg
    forestry building.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 1,711
  • forestry building log.jpg
    forestry building log.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 1,709

Jdigger4130

Port McNeill. B.C. Northeren Vancouver Island, Come quick before a bird lands on it and it collapses
Copy 075!!! A lil more "patina" than the photo shows huh? Its super cool at any rate! All I get to see STILL run down my way are at A place in Santa Cruz Ca
called Roaring Camp and they have three Shays and A Climax! Really gotta love anything that took two guys to tame and more to do than just hit a button to prove the engineer is still awake!

Jdigger4130

A Benson log from Oak point camp marked for the Forestry Building. These 52 column logs were 6 feet in diameter and 60 plus feet tall. The worlds largest log cabin contained over a million BdFt. The structure was 206ft x 102ft x 72 ft tall. That is Simon standing next to one of the logs he donated. Special care was taken in the handling of there logs to keep the bark intact.
WOW!!!!!??? This is UNREAL!!! I have seen some really nice log mansions but they were amature hour compared to this MONSTER!!!! This is so cool! I cannot believe they tore this place down or burned it!!! Its probably illegal to even think about doing this today w all the idiots telling guys what they can and cant build with!!! Great archive find Tree Farmer!!! Rad post!

Big Creek

TreeFarmer, You made my day with those photos. My memory is of about a 10 year old kid. One of the best things my Dad did was take me there. I think the fire was less than a year later. I remember fire pictures in the Oregonian. This building was located accross the street from the old Montgomery Wards building up on a little rise. The Camp 18 building would fit inside this one.

trakloader

Hey TL. Are these the remnants of the old plank roads??? I love the "old growth" moss on em! Really pretty country ya fellas have up there! Thanks for getting the "after" pics up! I love how nature takes it back and gets ready for next time! These photos are great!

Yes, that is the plank road seen in the old pics. The basic structure remains, I guess they used cedar. Sadly, they used hemlock for the deck, so it's dangerous to walk on. The planks have dissolved, leaving the nails sticking up everywhere.

dirty4fun

More great pictures and information. That is one heck of a log building, lots of hard work to build with those massive logs, I bet. Once more thanks to everyone for sharing so much, very enjoyable, to say the least.

tree farmer

Simon Benson camp

This 100 year old picture shows a Sunday beer social at Benson's: Frank Rice camp. Benson camps were famous for good food, comfortable quarters, and sure pay. Most of the people pictured are immigrants and really loved the Fourth of July. In most camps the crews went to town to celebrate the Fourth of July and hardly made it back by August. Simon avoided this disruption in production by placing a keg of free whiskey in his camps about mid-June. Notice the pump tap in the top of the keg, I bet it was Blitz beer from Portland.

Here is a link to a video from the 1920s of Benson operations around Clatskanie, Oregon It is narrated by the owner of the Berry Patch restaurant in Westport OR.. who had me compile this effort. It was produced for the tourists of the Lewis & Clark bicentennial. You can see CL surfing his late model "assault" donkey across the land. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69HFZSY8OV0

Attachments

• benson beer.jpg
    benson beer.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 2,147

Born2clearcut

This picture was way too big to scan its 4 feet by 3 feet , so its a picture of a picture . It was taken in Narrows Inlet B C looking towards the head of inlet . We logged the same area in the early 90's. Looks like a Model A for a cummy sitting in landing

Attachments

• old narrowssm.jpg
    old narrowssm.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 2,082

akroadrunner

Occupation
Gravel Pit/ Trucking/Owner
Was hauling gravel yesterday, and stopped to grab a couple pics of this old set of drums. It is decorating the entrance to a driveway on Karluk St. in Kasilof Alaska. I didn't want to nose around looking for a tag or name on it. I'll be hauling there again after the snow melts. Will have another look.old equipment, moose, truck 041.JPGold equipment, moose, truck 043.JPGold equipment, moose, truck 042.JPGold equipment, moose, truck 044.JPG