• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Autonomous trucks in use

Oxbow

Can’t wait until fully autonomous machine technology is evolved enough and affordable for small contractors. I’ll be at 5he front of the line to purchase and deploy.

The way I see it is we will not be eliminating any current personnel just not needing to hire more. If we can double or triple our production with autonomous my guys can make 2-3 times more supervising the machines.

Autonomy is coming and here to stay. Either learn and embrace it in the business world or be left on the sidelines.
I don't know about all that, but I'll sure be tickled when an autonomous shoveler goes out and digs through 5 feet of snow to try to find control points in order to do a site calibration! Lol

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer

I heard this story on the radio as well.
A rep from the fire department was concerned of the several incidents
of these cars stopping in front of the fire hall doors, and could not be moved.
The fire trucks could not get out, and respond to calls.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender

Just shove them out of the way lol.

Truck Shop

All these movies keep warning us about AI
And what year was that movie made? 1984--39 years ago.
Just shove them out of the way lol.
Park in front of a fire hydrant in Seattle--and the F.D. will use a KW and shove your car right along
with the rest out of the way. My brother witnessed that on a street near the UW when a restaurant
had caught fire in the early 90's.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

Wife and I are going to SanFran next month for the Auburn- Cal game. I thought it was going to be an interesting challenge before self driving cars..:oops:

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
And what year was that movie made? 1984--39 years ago.

Park in front of a fire hydrant in Seattle--and the F.D. will use a KW and shove your car right along
with the rest out of the way. My brother witnessed that on a street near the UW when a restaurant
had caught fire in the early 90's.
Hope they leave the owner on the hook for repairs too. Its not like fire hydrants are hidden, some are pretty well marked too.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Just found in BURIED News, WAYMO has ceased Autonomous Vehicle testing and development, laid off nearly all staff.

I dare say all too many algorithms that would not add up.
One can only hope. It is probably though similar to what a political commentator said recently: MOD EDIT. Leave the politics elsewhere.
I see no good at all from any autonomous vehicle. Just because you can do it doesn't make it a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator: