• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Autonomous trucks in use

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I reckon within 15 years we will have autonomous cars on the market with safety levels better than being driven by a human.

You'll hop in the vehicle, tap out your destination on the big screen, and the AI-driven computers and sensors will select the shortest or fastest route, and take you there without you having to lift a finger.

It will be great for the oldies who have lost their drivers licence due to medical conditions, poor eyesight or slow reflexes.

My old Italian neighbour Barney has lost his licence at 92. Not so much because he can't see, or is frail - just because he failed his initial test, and they wanted him to get checked out by an independent tester - at a cost to him of some $695!

He was pretty irate about the whole deal, so he said "stuff it! - I could pay $695 and still not get to keep my licence!" So I sold his car for him and he's accepted he's not going to drive again.

It's probably a good thing, I don't think his driving style was all that good, and it was a bit scary watching him indulge in his 60 or 70 years of bad habit accumulations - driving through stop signs at 20kmh, not looking carefully at intersections, and not keeping to his lane properly.

It will take a while for people to trust autonomous transport, but once it gets over the hump of general acceptance, people will not want to drive themselves any more. Great for long-distance travel.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Auto Chains-By the time I left this last April all tractors had a set of auto chains, trailers will be next.
The reason for them-the drivers would get lazy and refuse to install two sets of singles and two drag
chains. They would set in a crowded truck stop eating roller dogs waiting for the chain sign to drop.
Auto chains could be deplored remotely. What I said above is the reason driverless trucks will take
place-way too tough to find help that wants to do the job and do it correctly.
Really considered for old Blue, not enough in the budget and really have NO Desire for that type of road anymore.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Make sure you have one (or more) dashcams to prove that you were in the right otherwise you won't have a leg to stand in IMHO because the autonomous trucks will have cameras everywhere.
I'm not big on lawsuits but I'd do it just to prove a point. If another person put a little ding on my truck I would (and have) let it slide. I don't agree at all with autonomous vehicles and don't think they should ever be legal on public streets.

You can't automate every job, put folks on UBI and expect any good from it. People need to have a purpose and a reason to get out of bed in the morning. If you no longer have that we may as well not even exist.

Keith Merrell

If a chain comes loose, who is going to tighten it? And if the rig loses a tire how will it decide what to do? I really just don't see it happening. Also, how will the AI bot know to back down this steep temporary driveway into a dumpsite and oh yeah, avoid that one spot because it is uncompacted etc? I just don't see it... mostly I'm talking about construction trucking.

Legdoc

I view this much like the machine shop and manufacturing business in a previous life in the early 80's. My experience was in machine tools. In the beginning it was tracer guided machine tools. then came in NC (numerical control) with punched tape. Then came CNC (computerized numerical control) with magnetic tape and hand written code. Then came CAD/CAM. Now you can enter part dimensions directly on the screen at the machine. Automation is great for repetitive complex tasks. It is said 5 axis sub spindle machines can replace 10-15 high level machinists with better quality assurance, no labor unions, vacations, sick pay or 401k.My youngest daughter's Chevy Suburban is damn near autonomous with lane assist , braking... I rode in a Tesla recently that damn near drove itself. I'm not saying it is a good thing but it is coming. The only old school machinists I know today are doing one off's, re-work or very limited production on fairly simple tasks.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
You'll hop in the vehicle, tap out your destination on the big screen, and the AI-driven computers and sensors will select the shortest or fastest route, and take you there without you having to lift a finger.

It will be great for the oldies who have lost their drivers licence due to medical conditions, poor eyesight or slow reflexes.

That will be one of the best benefits of autonomous vehicles giving mobility to the ones in society who can no longer safely do it themselves. Getting older myself by the time I won't be able to drive anymore this technology will be old hat.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I came into CCC as it developed in Aircraft(info from my Dad) cars and then motorcycles to expand into trucks, has invaded every aspect of life including tooth brushes hair driers or toaster and can openers for whatever reason those needed it.

Said if before where as I read a lot still that the basis still exists if not more so with Nuke weapons, We live one major EMP event from reverting to the dark ages with death or killing each other over a bowl of grain a constant companion.

Truck Shop

Said if before where as I read a lot still that the basis still exists if not more so with Nuke weapons, We live one major EMP event from reverting to the dark ages with death or killing each other over a bowl of grain a constant companion.
Just hide under your desk.