• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Arkansas Farm Pics

td25c

Rice farming

Hey roddyo,this rice farming sounds interesting.My question is are you able to rotate different crops in the rice fields ,say rice one year then corn ,soybeans, or cotton the next year?I know rice likes to grow in wet conditions.In my neck of the woods the river bottom ground is wet and has to be "tiled" for drainige to grow corn or soybeans.Do the rice fields have any drain tile in them ?Or do they have a levee system to keep the water on the rice field and are drained prior to harvest?How do you apply the salt to kill the rice,spay rigg or airplane ?

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Rice Farming

Hey roddyo,this rice farming sounds interesting.My question is are you able to rotate different crops in the rice fields ,say rice one year then corn ,soybeans, or cotton the next year?I know rice likes to grow in wet conditions.In my neck of the woods the river bottom ground is wet and has to be "tiled" for drainige to grow corn or soybeans.Do the rice fields have any drain tile in them ?Or do they have a levee system to keep the water on the rice field and are drained prior to harvest?How do you apply the salt to kill the rice,spay rigg or airplane ?

That's a lot of questions 25C. I like your enthusiasm.:D

Most real rice farmers go rice, beans, rice, beans.

Up here close to town we got a sandier type soil so most people look at a 4 year rotation. Rice, Beans, Corn, Beans. If it looks like there will be money in Wheat people will try to sneak a wheat crop in behind the corn or rice if the conditions are right and double crop the beans after the wheat is cut. That isn't near as popular anymore since inputs are so high and most of this ground is getting leveled.

Used to be 2 half xxxxx crops in a year was more profitable than one good one. At least it was for the landlords. :) Now that you have to make every lick count, farming like that and you will go broke twice as fast. Least that's what some people think.

Got to eat super.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager

Enthusiasm?

Pfffffftttttttttt!

25c does a crane service, wrecker/recovery service, portable welding and machinery repairs, moving barns and silos, landscaping, septic installation, dozer, excavator, scraper, skid loader with backhoe and recovery winch, TV antennae tower & cable installation, and a little farming. (did I miss anything)

He's just pickin' your brain thinkin' about growing rice now! :D :cool:

td25c

Most real rice farmers go rice, beans, rice, beans.

Up here close to town we got a sandier type soil so most people look at a 4 year rotation. Rice, Beans, Corn, Beans. If it looks like there will be money in Wheat people will try to sneak a wheat crop in behind the corn or rice if the conditions are right and double crop the beans after the wheat is cut. That isn't near as popular anymore since inputs are so high and most of this ground is getting leveled.

Used to be 2 half xxxxx crops in a year was more profitable than one good one. At least it was for the landlords. :) Now that you have to make every lick count, farming like that and you will go broke twice as fast. Least that's what some people think.

Got to eat super.:rolleyes:

Thank's for the answer roddyo & sorry about all the questions at once.This is an interesting thread.

td25c

Enthusiasm?

Pfffffftttttttttt!

25c does a crane service, wrecker/recovery service, portable welding and machinery repairs, moving barns and silos, landscaping, septic installation, dozer, excavator, scraper, skid loader with backhoe and recovery winch, TV antennae tower & cable installation, and a little farming. (did I miss anything)

He's just pickin' your brain thinkin' about growing rice now! :D :cool:

My buddy ATCOEQUIP dont miss much.At one time I was thinking about crop dusting service .Thats why I was asking how the salt was applyed to the rice crop to kill it for an early harvest.25c likes to fly .

roddyo

Occupation
Thank's for the answer roddyo & sorry about all the questions at once.This is an interesting thread.

I will get to them all.:)

It finally dried up enough to work today. I need to make hay while the sun shines as they say.

If we get many more rains like last week I may have all winter to talk about farming.:pointhead

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
My buddy ATCOEQUIP dont miss much.At one time I was thinking about crop dusting service .Thats why I was asking how the salt was applyed to the rice crop to kill it for an early harvest.25c likes to fly .

Damn, I knew I was forgetting something...that dang Bi-plane! :D

ScottAR

Rice report is OK to reasonably good as of today, of course it rained again tonight.

Cotton is still bad...

Corn and beans are ok.

Deereman

ScottAR,
The Case dealers up there must be strong. Cause they sure aren't down here. We have a farm in Kentucky and all you see is diehard case or diehard deere ppl up there. Saying one sucks over the other is like fighting words :D.
Me living in Georgia never knew the fields stayed so wet and what kind of ground you have to work with. When its wet you get stuck and when its dry you can't even pick the stupid ground. I love it up there its just there are no steady jobs or I would move. I'm practically up there all the time anyway.

ScottAR

Case is strong, Deere is strong, Even see quite a bit of New Holland,
Massey, and Fendt. All the dealers are fairly competitive. Quite
a few farmers have machines from several makes. Getting it done
is all that matters.

25c, The rice fields are nearly all laser leveled and levees put up
around and through the field disperse the water. The water is for
the rice and for weed control. They only have to spray on top of
the levees for weeds. They drain the water before harvest and
knock down the levees after harvest for the next crop.

The geology of this area is sorta strange. There's old river bottoms
and marshy ground, some round hills with red sand or red gravel under em, and over Roddyo's way it gets hilly and limestone is quarried. There's more bottom land between us. All within 50 miles or thereabouts.

roddyo

Occupation
Case is strong, Deere is strong, Even see quite a bit of New Holland,
Massey, and Fendt. All the dealers are fairly competitive. Quite
a few farmers have machines from several makes. Getting it done
is all that matters.

25c, The rice fields are nearly all laser leveled and levees put up
around and through the field disperse the water. The water is for
the rice and for weed control. They only have to spray on top of
the levees for weeds. They drain the water before harvest and
knock down the levees after harvest for the next crop.

The geology of this area is sorta strange. There's old river bottoms
and marshy ground, some round hills with red sand or red gravel under em, and over Roddyo's way it gets hilly and limestone is quarried. There's more bottom land between us. All within 50 miles or thereabouts.

Our rock crusher is around 3 miles from the beginning of the row crop ground. About the only thing between the Ozarks and the Delta is Black River in Pocahontas. Kinda like Crowley's Ridge.

roddyo

Occupation
Down at the Hog House

I got rained out of a Demo Job today and ended up Pulling Pigs on a gilt this afternoon. You got to be pretty versatile around here.:)

1st pic is the pigs in a box as they were born. I had to pull the first and 4th pig. I don't know how many she ended up having, I left when everyone started getting off work.

Next two pics is the sow in the next crate. She is the momma to the gilts with pigs in the first and forth pics.

Last pic is a sister to the gilt in the first pic.

Attachments

• Picture 888.jpg
    Picture 888.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,415
  • Picture 887.jpg
    Picture 887.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,408
  • Picture 889.jpg
    Picture 889.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,393
  • Picture 890.jpg
    Picture 890.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,399
Last edited:

roddyo

Occupation
Rice Field Pictures

Here's some rice field pics.

The first two is red rice. It's like a weed from growing rice without a rotation. It is bad news. The pic of the sprayer on the nurse trailer is for killing this stuff. The red rice is taller and more yellow than regular rice.

The next two pictures is of "Salted" rice. You can tell the difference in the brown salted rice from the green rice along along the edge of the highline wire where the airplane couldn't spray.

The last pic is down rice which is pretty common.

Attachments

• Picture 839.jpg
    Picture 839.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,418
  • Picture 840.jpg
    Picture 840.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,416
  • Picture 844.jpg
    Picture 844.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,409
  • Picture 843.jpg
    Picture 843.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,390
  • Picture 845.jpg
    Picture 845.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,411
Last edited:

roddyo

Occupation
Just for you 25C

Here is some pics about a mile from where I been working. It fits in this farm section pretty good since it's in the middle of a Bean Field.

A lot of airplane pilots in WW2 was trained here so we got a couple of big runways here. We got like a airplane salvage yard here now.

It's kind of strange working in a farm field and a 767 flying over a couple of hundred feet off the ground.

The last pic is a restaurant at the Airport. The Parachute Inn:)

Attachments

• Picture 860.jpg
    Picture 860.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,408
  • Picture 861.jpg
    Picture 861.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,396
  • Picture 865.jpg
    Picture 865.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,387
  • Picture 864.jpg
    Picture 864.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,389
  • Picture 863.jpg
    Picture 863.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,392
Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Whoa dude! That's a Douglas DC-3 gooney bird in the next to last pic! There ain't nothing in the world like listening to a "round engine" on take off. :cool:

ScottAR

A friend of mine works at the salvage facility. Works just like auto salvage, just bigger.
Engines, landing gear, seats, even toilets... When they get everything out that's
useable, they hire a scrapper with an excavator to munch it up.

My friend drives an ancient Isuzu pup diesel and runs it on "salvaged" jet fuel
with some oil mixed in for lubrication.

roddyo

Occupation
Jet Salvage

A friend of mine works at the salvage facility. Works just like auto salvage, just bigger.
Engines, landing gear, seats, even toilets... When they get everything out that's
useable, they hire a scrapper with an excavator to munch it up.

My friend drives an ancient Isuzu pup diesel and runs it on "salvaged" jet fuel
with some oil mixed in for lubrication.

My buddy with the Scrap Yard had the scrap deal on the planes if he wanted it but it's hard to get rid of. They got real cheap aluminum in them. When you crush it it breaks up kind of like glass so you can't make a bale out of it.

A buddy of mine's dad used to haul Jet Fuel when we were kids. When he parked the truck in the yard we would always drain 20 or 30 gallons out that had stuck to the sides when he unloaded. Stuff was about like kerosene.

I had to slip in a picture of the old plane on the runway. I new someone would catch it.:cool:

Last edited: