• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Are there any horror stories about newly purchased dozers, then break down?

chidog

I've witnessed some and heard about some. Its kind of my fear since I'm looking for one. I don't mind a small project on a many thousand dollar purchase, I just don't want to end up with some huge problem. A person is usually only allowed to dig just so deep checking something out when looking to buy. Not everyone wants you removing filters etc, nor do they want the associated mess either. I say finals are one of the worse things to deal with, especially if it won't move.
I appreciate all the good answers I get on this site.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
If you don't know what you are looking at, it is worthwhile to get someone to do it for you. There are professionals who do nothing but evaluate equipment for a living.

Thanks for ringing my bell. I live east of Auburn, Wa.

chidog,
If you see anything you are interested in PM me a phone number and I'll call to talk to you about it.

chidog

I'm not a fan of putting a phone number on a forum, even a PM.
Though another set of eyes on it would be nice.

JPV

Chidog, if you don't call John C at least check out his book he wrote on the subject, it is really good. I am not finding it though, maybe he will post a link.

56wrench

Well, i have a tale to tell you. Back in '84 i was looking for a farm dozer for land clearing and filling small sloughs. I had run cat dozers from d5 to d8 and decided on a d7 or d8 size. I looked at a few and then a local d8h 46a came up through the grapevine. I talked to the owner who was clueless about equipment and the engine was 'rebuilt' by the most wonderful guy in the world who flew his own plane in to do the job. The local cat guy was too expensive. Lol. I test drove it, pulled the final drive filters(looked good) and finally went ahead and bought it. We were running it 24hrs a day and the engine developed a hard knock after about 40 hrs. Tore it apart out in the bush and carted the engine and torque back to the yard. Long story short, block had an internal crack a foot long and a spun rod bearing. Also other issues due to the last 'rebuild' I had d8 scattered over an acre. It took a year to get it running again. Another block and crank and other stuff. If i wasn't already a mechanic it would have broke me. I suspect someone overheated it and poured cold water into a hot engine. I still have the d8 and in the long run it paid for itself. I put about 3000hrs on it

colson04

I have my own experience with buying a used machine and having it die right away.

In 2014 I bought my grandpa's old 310A Deere backhoe. Only 300 hours on an engine overhaul that my grandpa paid for while he owned it from a very reputable shop. I felt very good about this machine knowing its history. I paid $8000 for the machine. I drove it home, and put about 40 hours on it and lost all hydraulics one day. After learning a lot about hydraulic systems and studying my service manual, I found it had shelled the main hydraulic pump. By the time I was done with repairs, I had over $1200 in it, not counting my labor and 2 or 3 months time troubleshooting and then doing the repairs. I've replaced starter, batteries (twice), alternator, several hoses, filters, countless buckets of hydraulic fluid, filters, and front tires. It still needs rear tires replaced, paint is in rough shape, lots of cracked hoses, and just recently, I have lost the right brake. I suspect contamination in the master cylinder.

Heavy equipment is not cheap to own.

Puffie40

There is a thread here where a guy bought a 650g from a dealer, and he had barely started using it when a final started hemorrhaging oil and the turbo blew up.

If you are worried about buying something, it would help a lot to research your local area's consumer protection laws and either brush up on your mechanical aptitude or find a trustworthy third party to look it over.

Also remember with heavy machinery, you get what you pay for, and unfortunately that also includes reliability.

moriboy

Occupation
Machine shop owner
I might be adding a story to this thread. There are 2 local D9s, and I can't keep thinking for the right price, I should bring one home...

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
If you get a real good price on a dozer, figure it is going to cost you twice what you paid for it in the first 100 hours.
If you pay top dollar for a dozer, hope that it isn't going to cost you twice what you paid for it in the first 100 hours.

MG84

Even if you know what your looking it its always a gamble. You don’t really know the history of a machine until you start working it, or more importantly working ON it. There can be some terrible sins buried in there you don’t know about until you start taking things apart.

With that said, I have a good story about buying a dozer. Bought my Case 450c wide track a while ago and have had very good luck with it. The machine had been sitting for around 10yrs, unused, outside before I bought it. Every cylinder leaked, several hoses rotten, but it did run, had only 2500 orignial hours and very good undercarriage. Barely got to run it since it was leaking hyd fluid bad from the belly pan. Took a huge gamble on it and ‘knock on wood’ seems to have been a good one. Repacked all the cylinders, put 14 new hoses on and full service when I got it then put it straight to work on several very large and demanding jobs. Put 200hrs on it that first summer and only unexpected problem was one blown transmission hose and a bad water pump. The amount of work I did with it paid for itself in the first 3mo.

chidog

Even if you know what your looking it its always a gamble. You don’t really know the history of a machine until you start working it, or more importantly working ON it. There can be some terrible sins buried in there you don’t know about until you start taking things apart.
I can think of many sins buried in them. It has to do with JB Weld and just plain welding. Not by choice, but by the owners choice, I am guilty of many of those sins.
So I know the good the bad and the ugly of the old D7's to D9's very well. And is why I say they are all way over priced. You gotta love when a seller brags about the engine or what ever has been recently rebuilt.
Sure just read what others here say about that.

Btad

I always make sure I buy at a good price
So if I have to put 10 or 20K depending on what it is
so I don't get upside-down in it
I like to buy non operational and most of the time it is something stupid and cheap fix