• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone see this yet? Deere 1050K

Shimmy1

I'd love to try one of these dozers out, they look very nice. I am running a brand new CAT D8T at work right now and it would be nice to be able to compare the two brand new machines. The hydrostatic interests me having power to both sides when turning would be a huge plus. That and having some corks welded to the grousers would do a world of help.

The Cat is diff steer, isn't it? The only advantage to hydro I can think of is you could maintain speed around the corner because hydro speeds up the outside track? Downside to that is if you're close to max power, you may not have the power available to spin that track faster?

ippielb

The Cat is diff steer, isn't it? The only advantage to hydro I can think of is you could maintain speed around the corner because hydro speeds up the outside track? Downside to that is if you're close to max power, you may not have the power available to spin that track faster?

Your right, i thought it was different for some reason. I'm thinking the older crawlers like a tool. I'm use to running a 963d track loader having counter rotation for tight corners is nice. Just started on a D8T this week. I'm relatively new to crawlers in general.

ippielb

Bet that's a damn sweet machine to shove dirt around with. Got a U-blade or straight? Dual tilt?

Grounds frozen so I get to play in snow instead lol. I work for my local city at our snow dump where everyone in the area hauls their snow from parking lots yards and the streets. Pretty lame year so far. The d8t has a u blade, and single tilt. Has a 3 shank ripper with the 4 hydraulic rams, I belibe they call those 4 barrel? Has HID lights all over it that are so bright. Cab is WAY quieter then the 2006 d8T we had before. I do wish they would put corks on these grousers. Would make life a lot easier instead of feeling like I'm on skates when I get to the bottom of the ramp.

1506467_10154974909995500_6125868284522503472_n.jpg

Hopefully that link works.

tctractors

ippielb, I think you might find that your D8 can spin turn. try leaving the trans in N and turn the steering wheel it should manage a spin via Diff Steer, its what I use when loading over the side on trailers.

tctractors

ippielb

That's one thing I did figure out is I like that I don't need to have track speed to turn in spot. My 963d I was running in the summer you needed to have either forward speed or reverse speed to turn.

Corks are so nice. We had a d8 rented two years ago with a 1-2-1-2 pattern on the grousers and it felt like you could climb a vertical ice wall lol. This one we have now doesnt have any and it loves to slide around.

Last edited:

Dickjr.

I need to be educated as to what "corks " are. Back to the thread at hand , I was thinking about how smaller dozers came to be hydrostat. Seems like Deere had them earlier on and everybody else followed later on , this may be wrong , but most all dozers under 15 ton now are hydrostat. That said , it makes me wonder if the same will follow in larger tractors. The Cat 973 is the biggest hydro machine that I can think of , not sure of the weight but I think they are 30 ton or so. If these 1050's prove out , and people like them I would think others will follow.

Shimmy1

The big Liebherr's have been hydro since the 80's?? My dad used to say they had heating problems. (no idea how he could possibly know that) As to the Liebherr-Deere marriage, my guess is at the time, a re-branded Liebherr was the best option for Deere to find out if us fussy buggers here in the US would accept a 40 ton hydrostatic dozer. Obviously Deere thinks so, since we are here talking about the 1050K, allegedly all Deere.

Randy88

Dickjr. as to why the hydrostat machines came about, some customers wanted more in a dozer than to stop one track to turn, that started the idea of two speed turning IH/dresser and case offered in smaller dozers, many decades ago, then along came the big introduction of skid steers and that technology which evolved into a fully hydrostat machine, which is what we have in skid steers now and have had for many decades, [some of us remember the old belt drive models]. When hydrostat dozers came out, can't remember for sure who made the first one here in the US but a similar conversation was discussed, you can't put skid steer technology into a dozer, even though it was already used in many different aspects of the industry in larger still machines.

But customers have gotten used to it, and really like it enough to keep buying the machines, so size increased over time and now we're at in size of machines today, deere is testing the waters to see if people want and like this size of dozer all deere built. Deere has done this many times over and its not a new concept for them, cut a deal with someone on a machine, do a joint venture, and then after its proven and people want it, cancel the deal and build their own machine, same thing that they did with New Holland on skid steers and a few others, if they can't buy them out that is.

The big issue everyone is having who claim it won't work is reliability and cost to repair, smaller hydrostat dozers have proven themselves in both reliability and being cost effective to repair, or maybe the correct term is, the operator friendly hydrostat offsets the cost to repair or people like them enough they'll pay to fix them, however you want to look at it.

Deereman

I believe you hit the nail on the head with the reason manufactures went looking for a different way of moving machines. And I think there will always be a learning curve to anything new. Took a while for people to realize the cost vs production of gps.

On the joint venture deals they are for a set time period. And if you look at what machines Deere has partnered with, they really believe in that design and run with it. Look at how new holland pretty much kept that same design for all those years and then how far Deere has taken it since. I think the Bell buy in was more of a global out look more then just one continent out look like it has been with the 950/1050's and 655/755's. It seems that the liebherr and deere relationship has worked out well and is doing good.

Back to the hystats, Deere's first was in 99 with the H on dozers as you know. Who was first I don't recall?? The only real problem I see with hydro's is loss of power from engine to the ground. I know I really like a 650G. So that leaves us with one grey or unknown area which is cost to rebuild/replace hydro's vs powershift, torque converters and other types. I don't know if it would be similar to the smaller dozers??

Deereman

Yes. And I think they came out in 70's. I had small dozer on the mind.

Last edited:

Randy88

Deereman, as for the loss of power in the transmit from the engine to the ground, this is getting less each model that comes along, new technology has come a long way in hydraulics in the last couple decades and I'd imagine that gap between the power shift and the hydrostat will get less over time. I'm not sure how many decades these conversations will be kept, but it would be interesting to look back in 50 years from now to 2014/15 to read over these conversations as our kids can laugh till their sides hurt on how we discussed issues that are so far past their time and obsolete by then, their only a memory and considered something in an archive file only a few history buffs will ever read. Just a thought someone passed along to me just this morning about another topic we were discussing.

I'm probably all wrong but weren't all the 850 models deere made hydrostat drive of some sort, even the B model and straight 850??

tctractors

J. Deere, took a good beating in the European Courts by Caterpillar Inc over the rubber track type tractor, so I would think the all J. Deere built tractor that looks to be dripping with Liebherr gizmo's might be a hard thing to bluff about.

tctractors

390eric

Have an 850c at work believe it's hydrostatic. Has throttle lever and a travel speed lever but all directions are on one joystick. It's a 96 or so

oldirt

to john deere man..you said "Who's to say the D8 will be cheaper??"

and I said (read above again).