• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone see this yet? Deere 1050K

Shimmy1

Looks like they're trying to grab a share of the D8T market? Little more weight, little more power, hopefully they are all Deere and not Liebherr anymore.

Dickjr.

Its good to see CAT get a little competition in this size tractor. But I think they will have a hard time moving many of these.
The Komatsu 155 doesn't sell as well as the D8.It seems that Deere and Komatsu are fairly competitive in the D6 size and down. Then Komatsu makes the larger 275 and up these seem to move. I don't think I would be afraid of the hydrostat , but it would weigh on cost to rebuild vs cost of a trans in a D8. It does seem these hydrostats are getting easy to diagnose due to onboard computers. I think the Komatsu and Deere have self diagnostic where as CAT you have to have the software. I have read where the Liebher version was kind of a lemon. This could get interesting .

Deereman

I don't think deere is trying to take that market over night. Its no doubt going to be hard to break the D8 mold but if deere backs it, services it and gives few problems it will get there. And this machine is built in house. I believe that was some of the reason the 950/1050 C's and J's didn't sell so well.

Shimmy1

Here's some fuel for the fire: John Deere knows how to build a power shift, they obviously know how to build a hydrostat, why couldn't they offer a fluid drive(i.e. torque converter) powershift option? Something tells me that they could probably jump their sales by 50%, maybe more. They already have the platform in the farm tractors.

ih100

End of the day, it is cheaper initially to build a hystat machine, as you eliminate a lot of complicated frame machining/alignment issues. Hence virtually all small dozers and loaders moving that way. It's the owner who picks up the tab for this reduced build cost when the damn systems start to wear. You can run around with a below-par hystat system a long time and not realise it until you get on a new one. However, when you look at the first 943's, and other hystat machines of that vintage, they have moved on a long way from a reliability and operating point of view. IMHO of course.

Ozz

I'll keep the D8, thanks. A hystat trans in that machine is asking for trouble. I'm s mechanic, and I think I'll hold gears with a torque converter

Deereman

Thinking out loud here. Here is say the 1050K vs D8T by comparison in cost of machine over a life time. Undercarriage cost should be cheaper. Ground engaging tools and servicing should be inline of one another depending on dealer cost for typical maintenance items. Fuel consumption. Cost of emission equipment if need be replaced.(which i have heard that on some machines it will last until the first engine over haul) Then you are down to drive-train. Who's to say the D8 will be cheaper?? IMO, unless you are/have a fleet of cats to where you get some kind of cost savings: cost is generally higher when you buy the cat name up front as well as their parts. Again IMO, That's some of the reason that other Equipment OEM's get in the door. Of course dealer support will factor one way or the other if the machine is down. All this is based off keeping the machine till its end. Not necessarily worried about resale.

While I do understand some of the concerns of a hydrostatic and specifically the 1050K, now that Deere is building it, we will have to wait and see how they hold up. Yes we can look at the smaller dozers and the C/ J series. The 1050K is not those machines.

Keep in mind I add this post noting that I may have forgotten things, but I was just stating the few off the top of my head. Please chime in with more.

Last edited:

Dickjr.

For what its worth , I was on an old 855 Deere loader few years ago. It was a heavy old machine 40k plus pounds , u/c was rougher than a cob etc. Surprisingly, it operated pretty decent , all we did was load trucks with it. Just pointing out Deere made that machine in the early 80s maybe late 70s and it was decent to have an unknown amount of hours on it. I don't see why this won't work , i'm no engineer , but it its a scaled up 650 , being everything is larger , I can't see why it won't work. I've seen a lot of Cat track loaders with 14 to over 20k hours on them and all they had done was resealing odds and ends. Plus being cheaper to build is a plus being competitive in that market. I have faith in the Deere R/D department as well. All this being said , my biggest machine is 10 tons, so what do I know.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
Good looking machine. As a service tech, I see the need for service. In my area we have 20 Cat trucks which isn't enough, 3 Deere guys, 5 Komatsu, 2 Volvo/ Hitachi. The biggest thing for competition is keeping the machines running. Least amount of downtime wins. Put some support behind them and they will do fine.

90plow

Forgive my ignorance but why don't they use a high drive on this like the CAT? Also why does cat use the high drive? What is the advantage?

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
As an operator and part time mechanic I have been impressed with just about everything that I have encountered that John Deere has designed and built.That is not to say everything with the John Deere badge is always desirable from an owners point of view but anything built in house has to be worth a second look.Cat builds great stuff but they have some anchors in their inventory too.If I had a choice in rubber tired backhoes I would take a John Deere every time hands down.Now a 580 Case is a nice nice machine,that is I mean that it is a very capable machine and once you get accustomed to the foot swing you may like it better than the two sticks that most everyone else uses but I just seems that JD listened to input from the customers to design and build what would be,as it turned out,the standard that everyone else has to to meet to be competitive.If you run any of the small dozers from JD (450,550,650) you have to consider them a hotrod,they do everything well,it is almost like the machine challenges the operator to ask of it something that it cannot do,like it is saying to you "show me what you got". If you come to a JD dozer for the first time after running the competition you have got to smile and I have done it many times over the years,you just cannot put those machines in a situation that it cannot handle,I never got in trouble on a JD that was not my own fault.Yeah,I like them.LOL
I happened to see the add on the JD website last night on my own before I read this post and laughed at the comment about sleeping dogs lying and the cat association that they made,there was no mistaking where that was headed.Ron G

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Any comment I make on this topic is pretty much meaningless . . . I have no knowledge of John Deere dozers or hydrostatic drive but damn, from an old oval track hand that machine looks well balanced and most impressive, it sure will be interesting to come back to this thread in a couple of years time and see how they have performed.

And by the way RonG all the best mate, I never realised you had such major issues, it's good to see you back.

Cheers.