• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone see this yet? Deere 1050K

Randy88

Cat came out with high drives in the 80's, none of the major players worldwide ever took the idea and used it in production, as to why, what I've been told is over the long run, in many applications industry wide, it never was a major benefit compared to low track drive or what's been around since the start of tracked machines, now everyone has their opinions on this with likes and dislikes but as of now, if you want high drive go buy a few models of cat, which also still offer low track drive machines as well. As has been stated by their competition, if they're so great, why does cat even offer any low track drive machines anymore???

As for any size of fully hydrostatic machine being too large, until someone builds and tests it over time, or has decades of time to study it, who's to say when something is too large for a certain technology, the same thing was discussed with smaller dozers when the hydrostatic drives came out and now most everything in smaller new dozers are hydrostatic drive in every brand of dozer, but it took time to work out the bugs, as they say, everything takes time and people have to test it to find out if they like it or will continue to keep buying that size and kind of technology.

Deere machines are very popular in my area, been around them, ran a few, and for the most part, they are well liked from what I've been told, time will tell if this size and technology of dozer will stand the test of time, but glad deere is doing it, someone needs to push the boundaries to see if there's a need or want, that and I'd love to sit in and run one of this size to see for myself what its like. The one's I've run so far have been a nice machine, well balanced, well built and are nice to operate and be around in general.

To help answer your question 450smrider, if for no other reason, you have choices as to what type of dozer and drivetrain you can buy, cat offers high drives, the rest low drives, some machines offer hydrostatic drives, others the old tried and tested transmissions and torque converter drives and hopefully in the future, whatever else someone can dream up, and oh yea, cat even offers an electric drive unless they quit making that dozer, which if I recall wasn't a high drive but rather a low track drive.

MJHeavy

Banned
Occupation
Technican
Its good to see CAT get a little competition in this size tractor. But I think they will have a hard time moving many of these.
The Komatsu 155 doesn't sell as well as the D8.It seems that Deere and Komatsu are fairly competitive in the D6 size and down. Then Komatsu makes the larger 275 and up these seem to move. I don't think I would be afraid of the hydrostat , but it would weigh on cost to rebuild vs cost of a trans in a D8. It does seem these hydrostats are getting easy to diagnose due to onboard computers. I think the Komatsu and Deere have self diagnostic where as CAT you have to have the software. I have read where the Liebher version was kind of a lemon. This could get interesting .

CAT equipment such as a D8T has onboard diagnostics. You can also do calibrations through the main display.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Originally Posted by 90plow
why does cat use the high drive? What is the advantage?

It was originally thought that by moving the sprocket up out of the dirt it would reduce sprocket and track wear. It didn't really improve track life but it did make service and repair of the transmission easier.

Last edited:

mestizo

I've heard you can get the transmission out of a D8 pretty easily for service - anyone know if that's the case?

The hydrostatic and electric CAT dozers are all oval drive. Are they sticking with the high drive just because it's a proven design and easier to service?

Shimmy1

Let's hope this thread doesn't turn into a high track/oval track all out war zone that has happened on here before. I am completely convinced that NOBODY needs that trainwreck going on. Hopefully we can focus more so on the torque converter/powershift vs. hydrostatic discussion.

Shimmy1

Maybe CM, digger, or Willie could link a locked thread or two for the new guys to see what happens if this debate were to heat up. I don't want one, just thinking if the new guys could see what happens, maybe things can be kept on track.

Randy88

Mestizo, any photo's from the operators standpoint or view, from within the cab?

Shimmy1 your right, hostility isn't needed at all, its just discussion, as for being off topic, one topic leads to another, its all about dozers and drive systems, we might also discuss hydrostatic drives on other machines as well, say for example tile plows, which are in that 400 plus hp now, and they only use hydraulic motors to drive the tracks, same as excavators, both which utilize a planetary setup, anyone want to compare those to the new dozer setups, or explain what's different between those drive setups?

Shimmy1

Guys around here are running 600 hp Bron plows. They have at least a 36" dia. sprocket. With a outboard planetary that looks like it belongs on a D9. I would guess that they should be reliable enough for the fact that you're not cycling back and forth, forward/reverse all day long. That and you only ever move under load around 1-2 mph. Also factor in it's not beating across rocks, ridges, edge of cuts, whatever. All factors for the life of a final.

Cam85

U won't beat a Cat, Cat have alwase ruled the roost with dozers and is not likely to change any time soon.

Last edited:

Shimmy1

Well, that's your opinion, not everyone's. I have ran a D8R AND a 1050J. I felt the 1050 "J" didn't have quite as much grunt as the 8. BUT, the 1050 "K" has another almost 10 ton of weight and 20+ more horsepower. Maybe we should wait and see what some guys have to say that have ran both.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
It all depends on how bad JD wants that market. I used to think highly of them they stepped up to the plate on the older C series dozers when they wasn't holding up as long as they wanted and rebuilt a bunch of the hydrostatic systems for pennies on the dollar($1.00 per machine hr)and give you series II controls and dash. but lately they have done a complete 180 on their loaders and will not stand behind obvious manufacturing defects just look at the large JD wheel loaders when they get some hr's on them you can't give them away.

tctractors

In the U.K. we sadly dont have any representation for J Deere construction equipment but we do have something that looks around the same lump a 764 Liebherr, this tractor is a complex chunk of bits riding on bogey bottom rollers with the power to stuff CAT 631's, it can easily make a Komatsu 155 look a Sickly Child at this type of task.

tctractors

Randy88

Shimmy1, you must not be in rock country out there, with granite, limestone and shale for the plow guys to bang around in then, that and toss a few cowboys into the seat and kick that ground speed up a bit to say 7 mph and then stop it dead hitting large rocks. As for size of planetary drives, with enough hours and testing I'd think any company could and eventually will increase dozer size utilizing hydrostatic drives, by increasing planetary size and design on any machine, no matter the use. Just pointing out the plow industry has been using higher hp than any dozer for years with this concept, and every year increases both planetary size, machine size and hp due to ever increasing need for speed and efficiency installing tile.

Mestizo, thanks for the added photo's.

Shimmy1

Shimmy1, you must not be in rock country out there, with granite, limestone and shale for the plow guys to bang around in then, that and toss a few cowboys into the seat and kick that ground speed up a bit to say 7 mph and then stop it dead hitting large rocks. As for size of planetary drives, with enough hours and testing I'd think any company could and eventually will increase dozer size utilizing hydrostatic drives, by increasing planetary size and design on any machine, no matter the use. Just pointing out the plow industry has been using higher hp than any dozer for years with this concept, and every year increases both planetary size, machine size and hp due to ever increasing need for speed and efficiency installing tile.

Mestizo, thanks for the added photo's.

Yeah, right on. It's all good farmland around here and even better farther east in the Valley.

ippielb

I'd love to try one of these dozers out, they look very nice. I am running a brand new CAT D8T at work right now and it would be nice to be able to compare the two brand new machines. The hydrostatic interests me having power to both sides when turning would be a huge plus. That and having some corks welded to the grousers would do a world of help.