• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone know how to change throw out bearing??

Johndeere120

Normally changing/installing a new damper will cut the gear growl/noise by 60 to 70%. Then you raise the idle about 20 to 30 rpm to remove the rest of the noise. Idle speed is 580 to 680.
Used the truck for about 10 hours today didnt do it much at all now but I'm still going to change it. However I did notice this morning when greasing the truck, the yoke on the trans output shaft moves up and down a little bit. The actual trans shaft doesnt move at all just the yoke I heard just drop the driveshaft and run a 3/4 impact down on that nut because sometimes they back off?

Truck Shop

Now to compliment what I said about dealers not changing vibration dampers.

It's been 7 years ago that a customer we did work for and a cheap skate had a 6TS 3406 1997 Cat in a T800 inframed by a Cat dealer and surprisingly he bought a OPT warranty.
It run roughly 150,000 more miles and broke the crank, Cat warrantied the original crank under the OPT. When it came back to our shop a few months later for electrical work
I noticed it still had the original viscous damper that was on it when it broke the crank, Cat reused it, at that point it had around 850,000 miles on it.

Truck Shop

No, the rear output bearings are machined and matched to the races and there is a spacer between the bearing cones so when the output shaft nut is tightened it will only load the bearing to the
pre-determined preload/ shaft end play.

Reactions: DB2

Johndeere120

Now to compliment what I said about dealers not changing vibration dampers.

It's been 7 years ago that a customer we did work for and a cheap skate had a 6TS 3406 1997 Cat in a T800 inframed by a Cat dealer and surprisingly he bought a OPT warranty.
It run roughly 150,000 more miles and broke the crank, Cat warrantied the original crank under the OPT. When it came back to our shop a few months later for electrical work
I noticed it still had the original viscous damper that was on it when it broke the crank, Cat reused it, at that point it had around 850,000 miles on it.
That's crazy. I never knew how important that piece is never once did I hear of anyone changing it. Now I know! Call vibratech today couldnt cross any numbers over, however he have me a spec sheet for 211915 so I'll measure bolt pattern tomorrow hopefully it fits. If not, I'm stuck on where to get one