• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone have a wrist?

DirtMan

Banned
Occupation
Sales Manager
Forget the rest.... Rototilt is the best!

Hey Guys, Just noticed your Rototilt comments, and couldn't resist to chime in. The Rototilt is by far the most powerful and enduring option on your list. I've successfully sold the Rototilt in applications that any of those competitors would shutter to think of like piledriving, mining, rock drilling, with attachments like 5000# rammer hammers, ape robovibs, & tramac tunnelling heads. Average Rototilt capacity is 3 times that of the excavator, and you could literally hang the excavator from the Rototilt and not rip it apart!

Rototilt works off any hammer plumbing, no need for expensive bi-directional circuitry, and has 6 times the holding/tilting torque of a powertilt.

All the others on the list are cheap imitations fabricated in weld shops and filled with regular gear grease. The most notorious is engcon, who's founder, Stif Engstrom originally worked for Rototilt, then branched off with his own clone.

The original Rototilt is manufactured by Indexator of a highly engineered worm gear in a casted housing filled with a liquid synthetic gear lube, having better longetivity, and loading characteristics, mostly due to less friction.

If you compare wrists to cars.... Rototilt would be the Rolls Royce,
engcon would be the hyundai,
and helac is the geo.

TheDigger

Let's stick to the facts pls...

Apparently DirtMan is trying to broadcast a message coming from Indexator, the Swedish manufacturer of Rototilt, about it's products beeing superior. Instead, let's look at some facts about the rototilt/tiltrotators on the market. Rototilt is a registered trademark of Indexator, this is why everybody else on Klutz list has to use another name: Tiltrotator or Steelwrist. The product however does the same job, endless rotation of the bucket and tilts 40 degrees (except Steelwrist 45 degrees). Many manufacturers have used oil for lubrication historically but has changed to grease. Why? when the oil has leaked out of the gearbox you have no lubriction at all. Even Indexator recommends re-filling the gearbox with grease once the oil is history. Practice always beats theory.
Engcon has a welded gear housing with lower quality but casted gear housings are also used by others (Steelwrist even use casted steel).
Indexator uses single acting tilt cylinders which are shorter but less stable and cannot withstand loads to the extent that the dual acting cylinders can (used by all others on the list).

Indexator is just one option on this market, Engcon makes twice as many (approx 4000 in 2006) with a weaker product, Steelwrist is smaller but growing fast. In Scandinavia today almost all excavators between 3 and 30 tons are equipped with a tiltrotator/rototilt/steelwrist and more markets are moving in the same direction. When will it take-off in North America? It's a killer attachment for any machine, reducing cost and time, adding enormous flexibility but demanding more skilled operators. Conclusion: learn how to use it and start making money in no-time. Conclusion 2: Compare Indexator, Engcon and Steelwrist before buying one.

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
The Roto-tilts are the best out there, I've seen them in action while leveleing back fill material along walls, you can put the excavator anywhere and rotate the bucket so the back end doesn't hit the wall as you pull material away from it.

glenhd

I got the helac on my Case cx50 and i love it.Has not broke yet and it's been on their more than 2 years.I work it pretty hard tilt it to the side and only use one tooth to pry out stumps, hot top and what ever else i have to do..

glen

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums TheDigger! :drinkup

Countryboy

Occupation
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums glenhd! :drinkup

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
We have a JRB coupler with a tilt grading bucket on our 120 Deere. We bought it with about a 1000 hours and the machine should have never left the factory the way it is. With the long stick and coupler, the bucket can touch the cab. The weight has also taken a toll on the machine. Its a nice setup and worth having despite the weight.

We dont use the grading bucket on the 120 much any more but we use the one on our Kubota KX121-3 constantly. Its worth every penny and does more work than the digging bucket.

DirtMan

Banned
Occupation
Sales Manager
Best of the Best

Don't be confused by the clone makers, Digger is obviously working for Steelwrist, who sells what? 12...
Indexator does not recommend filling with grease, until the Rototilt is very old, and grease is obviously not superior to oil. The truth behind the oil/grease debate is that the reason the clones use grease is because of inferior seals, sealing surfaces, and manufacturing practices, thus......resulting in less capacity, and shorter life.
To say that any other tiltrotator is "Equal" or the same as the Rototilt, is just ignorant, and would only originate from a lessor competitor.
As for the tilting, Indexator's primary cylinders are double-acting, and the highest quality in the industry...AND for those applications where it's important to have a compact envelope, Indexator also offers telescoping cylingers, which considerably shortens the overall package length.
45 vs 40? All I can say is, "why sacrifice capacity for 5 degrees"?
Three words that all the clones should learn...Finite Element Analysis.

Countryboy

Occupation
Digger is obviously working for Steelwrist.

And judging by your post, I would bet that you are affiliated with Indexator. Would I be correct in that assumption? :cool2

Raildudes dad

I work for our local county highway authority. I bought our first Helac wrist back in the early 90's for the 1st hydraulic excavator we leased. The guys liked the hydraulic excavator and really liked the wrist. Makes ditching and finishing real easy and quick. In fact, a couple our operators can finish a lawn area without any handwork:). Today we have a medium size CAT, a smaller Cat Excavator and a mini all with Helac wrists. (I can't remember the models now that I'm back in the Engineering Division :rolleyes:, I'll have to check on Monday)

Our "machine" before the 1st Cat was a 15 ton Linkbelt cable crane with bolted boom. Talk about bringing the boys out of the dark ages:D

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
We will keep our Weldco-Beales wrists, don't see these other brands standing up to the abuse they need to take. They look like anything over a 15 ton machine will rip them apart.:bash

DirtMan

Banned
Occupation
Sales Manager
Light Duty? NO WAY!

The Rototilt is actually rated for about 3 times what the excavator can dish out. You could literally hang the excavator from the Rototilt without tearing it apart, for example, an RT60B model Rototilt is rated at 60 TONS static load, or 20 TONS dynamic load. There's not many other attachments with this capacity, including those that are just cut and weld fabrications.

Go in the field and compare for yourself. In Sweden, you will find some working Rototilts that are nearly 20 years old! You WILL NOT find a Helac, WainRoy, etc., that's even close to that age.

I have Rototilts working on mining heads, pile drivers, rock drills, and 5000 lb Rammer hammers, all which have been out working for years without failure. Can any of those other options make that claim?

Bottom line, you don't have to "baby" your Rototilt. It's not just for light duty applications. It can take whatever the excavator can dish out.

Per Eriksson

Lots of salestalk here.....

I work for an CATdealer in Sweden and judging by what we have to repair and fix when it comes to indexator and engcon it's in reality no difference, Steelwrist are just coming out on the market so I can't tell about them yet.

if you ever get the opportunity to test a machine with a rototilt, tiltrotator or whatever it's called do it, it's not a waste of time.

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
Well the biggest Roto-tilt is only rated for a 24 tonne machine and has to many extra parts to damage, just like Allu buckets which in theory are a great invention, but are self destructing and require constant rebuilding. In our field of environmental cleanup and demolition the attachments are used to there extreme and most do not stand up, contrary to what sales and manufacturer reps say. So your bucket may be your pride and joy, but in the real world, to many features can be detrimental to durability. Even if they rate the attachment for three times the machine weight, our 45 tonners will keep the wrist buckets that they have. :bash

Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Sorry guys, I missed what was going on in this thread.

To those involved in the sales of wrists, at this site we allow dealers/manufacturers one post to explain who they are and their product. After that, you may answer questions raised by members. We DO NOT allow the arguing I'm seeing go on in this thread.

If you are interested in promoting your product after your initial post, you must contact me about advertising here at HEF. I do not want our members to be subject to the bickering witnessed here.

DirtMan

Banned
Occupation
Sales Manager
Did the research

Lots of salestalk here.....

I work for an CATdealer in Sweden and judging by what we have to repair and fix when it comes to indexator and engcon it's in reality no difference, Steelwrist are just coming out on the market so I can't tell about them yet.

if you ever get the opportunity to test a machine with a rototilt, tiltrotator or whatever it's called do it, it's not a waste of time.

Hej Per,
When I was doing my research on this concept, I stopped in at PON. Is that where you work?
What I noticed at PON CAT, and from talking to the mechanics there, is that they used engcon mostly on smaller equipment as it costs less, but for larger machines up to 30 tons, they used Indexator even though it costs more, it was more durable. PON had about 6 from Indexator, and 3 from engcon in stock.

Not trying to make a sales pitch here boss.

Rockbreaker

Rototilt

Hey all.
Just want to comment on this tread beacuse i have run machines with rototilt
for almost ten years and its an amazing tool.
Doesnt matter what brand there is,but what you can do with it.
You can dig around anything(cabels,roots,pipes you name it) level any surface on no time and save a lot of time doing so.
If you get used to rototilts i dont think you will regret the investment.:cool2

DirtMan

Banned
Occupation
Sales Manager
Oslo obstacles

Hej Rockbreaker,
You are the expert on underground obstacles. During my research trips, I visited one jobsite in downtown Oslo, and there was pipes and cables running in every direction, at many different depths. I can't imagine even trying to tackle this job without a Rototilt.

Do you know my friend, Erling Ånesland? He is the importer there in Norway...www.rototilt.no.