• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anybody ever see a 10 on ice?

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
It's fun to watch, but newer funny when u have your but in the seat.:rolleyes:

It's happening in a split second, and u are not in controll.:mad:
Gravity sends u down the hill, and u bether hope u don't have to much speed when reaching solid ground.

Some guy's have turned their machines on the side this way.:eek:

When u have problems with ice on the roads, u unload your exc and track it up the hill.;)
Can be funny, trick is to have your bucket in the ditch holding back/pulling up on the steepest spots.
Did that one winter with a 330 and a hammer on, not so funny when u start sliding and dont get the hammer rammed into the ground....:cool2

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
I was 13 or 14 when I slid just a couple of feet sideways on a case 450. It wasn't much and I stopped when I hit the driveway I was uphill of but it was some scary(of course that might have had to do with my uncles truck that was parked in the driveway beside where the dozer came to rest). I thought my dad was gonna fall over he was laughing at me so hard because of the way my eyes got:eek:.

Deas Plant

Abusive???? Careless???? Just Plain Stoopid?????

Hi, Biggixxerjim.
Yes, I could agree with you there without a lot of stress. Even way down here in sunny Queensland, DownUnder, I've heard of ice caulks on track grousers. King of Obsolete calls 'em 'high heels' for crawlers. LOL.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I was digging out a pile for the bridge demo I did. I had myself benched down 8' or so and then had dig down 25' more around the pile. I was well below sea level 10' from the bay and the hole the caving in at a good rate. The boss wanted me to track out until the crane was ready to come over and hook onto the pile to pull it out. I was consurned about having to track back down there since it was steep since we where every limited on room. I had to track over my spoils to get out. When it was time to go back I slid off the spoil pile and all the way down in the wet clay. Stopped broad side to the 25' drop with 2' to go until that 50 ton hoe and I would of been a sishcabob.

I watched a truck driver slide a newer 320 off a ice covered trailer beck and roll it into a ditch.

d6peg

Occupation
owner, operator
I agree Biggixxerjim, Looks like an expensive toy.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
it's all fun and games till someone gets runned over by a 10.lol.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Should be some loggers that pipe up on this one... ;)

Might even here something about... go-en' for a ride... :eek:... :laugh

In this area... every body usually called them " ice grips... or ice cleats "...
and most used piece's of flat iron, round rod, or even re-bar... welded to the
top of the grouser.

I think you can see them on the King's cats, on some of his pictures he posted... might even be able to see what's left of them on some of the pics.
I posted in the wildland fire fighter dozer thread.

OCR

Deas Plant

Ice cleats

Hi, OCR.
Yep, even a dumb nobody from DownUnder like me who has never EVER had to take a tracked machine out on ice can figure the value of having the weight of the machine concentrated on a MUCH smaller area in those sorts of situations. If memory serves me right, KoO's recipe is: 1 ice caulk in the middle of 1 grouser, 2 towards the ends of the next grouser, alternating all the way around the track chain, so that the caulks/cleats are in a staggered pattern.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Wow...
I bet his boss is proud of him.
There's a reason that he has his ripper up and his dozer tube locked.
He's posing :eek:
Lay one over and you'll change the way you dance.
Way to go Hollywood.
:cool:

surfer-joe

I've used various methods to weld stuff on grousers to help prevent sliding on ice or frozen earth, none ever last long because of the nature of the beast you know. Bolts, nuts, rebar, pieces of old cutting edge or some 1" blocks of steel. They all get torn off or worn off pretty quick. Cats will slide easy on mud, permafrost, ice, slick or wet clay, and rock. It's really not a fun feeling when you are in the seat. Visions of a track catching an edge and tipping over come to mind.

The dumber people in this video were in the car at the bottom taking the pictures. That Cat would have made mincemeat out of the car had it slid into it. I watched a old D9H slide into our company Suburban in Colorado one winter. Our clerk was getting some clutch time when he skated off a 25 or 30 foot incline right into the left side of the Surburban. It dented everything on that side and broke out all the windows. Neither door would open, and we had to drive that thing back to town that night in temperatures around 10 degrees above zero F. You know, duct tape doesn't stick worth a damn in cold weather like that, and the plastic sheeting we tried using to cover the holes wouldn't stay in place without the tape. It was a long, slow, and very cold ride home.

I watched a new D9L slide down hill about a mile on that same job. The operator figured he could keep one track in the snow bank and make her down to his work area. Well, he couldn't. He was lucky that he didn't fall off the side of the road he was on. That would have been about a 2500 foot tumble nearly straight down. The other lucky thing was that he was going down "dozer" first. When he figured out that putting the blade down only increased his speed, he thought to stick his ripper down. That slowed him down some, but more importantly, it kept him from spinning like the Cat in this video and he was able to stay on the road, even though the ripper tip didn't get much penetration. We stayed up there on that job then for 24 hours welding everything we could get our hands on to the grousers of all the dozers on the project, about 25 or 30 of them. That became a daily job for some of us for nearly a month.

We also put tire chains on all the Cat 777B haul trucks there for the same reason. These chains were custom built and cost about 1500 bucks each. The early ones weren't very sturdy and quickly busted. They were lying all about the place. The newer ones were much better, and very, very heavy. It took a tire truck to lift them in place and one set covered both rear duals on one side. (Had to take the rock-knockers off you see) We kept the chains on for about three months and even the newer ones kept a couple of guys busy all day long making repairs and putting busted ones back on. Not to mention repairing all the damage the chains did to the brake, transmission, and hydraulic lines in that area. It was tough to kep them tight.

We had some big Cat excavators on the job and welded crap on their track shoes too. They didn't move about as much as the dozers and the stuff we welded on lasted longer. It was still rough for them to go up or down hill, particularly on the roads as the frost was deep in the roadways and very slick. Quite often we hooked a big tow cable from an excavator to a Cat and pulled or towed them like that. Sometimes the two machines still tangled up.

I don't care if I ever have to experience a winter again!

trainwreck

when i was working on a mud slide over the winter i got put on the road crew for a few weeks and our job was to keep 20 miles of icey hell roads open we did this with 3 jd 850 dozers and 3 graders a brand new 872 d jd and 2 140 cat graders. there was e few spots on the road that were 22% grade. i was taking the last clean up pass on the steep corner and the second the right corner of the blade hit the ground i was going for a loop right there on a 25ft wide road, luckly the corner of the blade held good and i spun around and pilled into the snow bank on the high side of the road. that is where i sat for about 5 or 10 min trying to quit shaking enough to finish the road.

not a right i want to do again EVER

trainwreck

here is a pic sorry for the small pic but that is looking out the right side of the jd 850

Attachments

• 200801_feilds 111.jpg
    200801_feilds 111.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 689

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Ice grips or Ice cleats:

Another Willie Fire picture: ice grips... if you look hard, you can see the one's I welded on. I used 3/4 inch cold roll... about 2 and 3/4 inches long...
2 per pad...right in line with the bolt holes. These had been on over a year,
and the rocks on this fire more or less finished them... although I do credit them with reducing some shock loading to the undercarriage.

The staggered pattern that KoO uses is more typical and uses less material
and less welding time, and I usually used it... of course, there are various
theory's for materal, size, type, and pattern... as always... ;)... :)

OCR

P1010031-3.jpg

Last edited:

jimmyjack

the first i could understand,even the second one, but the third its time to call it a day or geta different piece of equipment