• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any of you got experience with real big buckets on EC700C?

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
We got a project over here where we are mowing a BIG amount of sand/stone/gravel with 385/365/988 and 775/771/A40's.
Daily production is realy huge.:rolleyes:

So, we got rock buckets for our EC700's, but no gravel/sand bucket for them.:confused:

After some planning and construction we are now building our own bucket.
None of the producers over here had any experience with something like this. They make rock buckets all over...

Our homemade one is apr 7,5 feet wide and apr 6 feet tall at the opening.
Length is apr 8 feet.
Volume is 5,1m3 struck, and apr 6m3 with a top.(ISO)
HB450 all over...
Try rolling that 20mm bottom plate...:cool2

Any of you guys got any experience with something this big on a EC700C?

We got the long boom and a 3,55 stick on the machines...

Attachments

• brakett lite b.jpg
    brakett lite b.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,702
  • skuff lite b.jpg
    skuff lite b.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,806

Errol

That fab work is excellent. Do you have any more photos... like cutting, and expecially the bending?

hvy 1ton

Seems a little big. That is almost 8 yd3 heaped. If what you're digging is 3300lbs/yd3 (bank gravel) that would be almost 26,000lbs plus the weight of the bucket. That seem like an awful lot to hang off the end of a 70 ton hoe. I could be way off somewhere, so let me know if i am.

CBS

Occupation
management
nice work the bucket looks awesome, however the guy in that video is a pretty green operator lol maybe why its not loading the truck so good with that volvo lol

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Errol: the cutting is done in our computer cutting table. Rolling was a bit difficult. We tried a local workshop with a 3000t roller, but it had a to big upper roll. The plate is feathering so much, it wasn't possible to get it right. The roll was small enough in teory..We then had to try a couple other places before we succeded. Sorry no pics of that.:( They talked about minimum 950t of rolling pressure for that plate.

Regarding size, our hoes got Verachtert(Cat) CW70 couplers and a 4m3 rockbucket. Coupler and bucket is 6400 kg. 4m3 with rock is apr 7600 thats 14000kg(apr 28'Lbs)
This bucket is 4200kg, plus 6m3 sand/gravel that is 4200+10800. 15000kg(30'Lbs)
In theory we are 2000Lbs extra compared to the rock bucket with coupler.
We got no problem handling the rockbucket filled.
Of course all this depends on the material weight, but still we got rid of 2200 kg by taking of the coupler and making the bucket lighter.

My calculation converter says 1m is 0,9144yd means 6m3 is apr 5,5 yd3.
Is that correct??

grunk36

Occupation
trainer/technical support with TRIMBLE/SITECH denm
Errol: the cutting is done in our computer cutting table. Rolling was a bit difficult. We tried a local workshop with a 3000t roller, but it had a to big upper roll. The plate is feathering so much, it wasn't possible to get it right. The roll was small enough in teory..We then had to try a couple other places before we succeded. Sorry no pics of that.:( They talked about minimum 950t of rolling pressure for that plate.

Regarding size, our hoes got Verachtert(Cat) CW70 couplers and a 4m3 rockbucket. Coupler and bucket is 6400 kg. 4m3 with rock is apr 7600 thats 14000kg(apr 28'Lbs)
This bucket is 4200kg, plus 6m3 sand/gravel that is 4200+10800. 15000kg(30'Lbs)
In theory we are 2000Lbs extra compared to the rock bucket with coupler.
We got no problem handling the rockbucket filled.
Of course all this depends on the material weight, but still we got rid of 2200 kg by taking of the coupler and making the bucket lighter.

My calculation converter says 1m is 0,9144yd means 6m3 is apr 5,5 yd3.
Is that correct??
i think you will be just fine it will handle that weight easy
i had an liebherr 954 with mass excavating boom and stick and equipped with a 5 cubicmeters sand bucket and used it for everything from sand to heavy clay we weighed a full bucket in medium clayfilled dirt and the content of the bucket was 15000 kg and it handled it fine

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Per, i don't think it will be any problem at all.:D
I'm just searching for experience from our US users. They have buckets like this one all over.

Our goal is to load our A40's with 4 passes.;)

Next project i'm working on is a rock bucket.
Lighter, smaler teeth/front and bigger volume.

Added some pics:
1- from the cutting of the thick sideplate.
2- from the welding of the sides to the bottom.
3- the last bracket and the bolts and reinforcements in the background.

Design of the bottom and side is choosen to get the weld protected behind the "banana". Our welder tacket u shaped iron to the side, and used wedges to get the bottom right against the sideplates. A big sledgehammer and wedges gives alot of force.(Pic 2)
The inside reinforcements is also aligned with the outside brackets.
Pics is from our new welding area, all is not in place yet.:cool:

Attachments

• skjaering.jpg
    skjaering.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,525
  • brakett o bolter.jpg
    brakett o bolter.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,520
  • sveising.jpg
    sveising.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,520

JDOFMEMI

Looks good.

I havent had any time on a EC700C, but did have the second one on the West coast for the first 1,000 hrs of its life. Had a smaller bucket than that, but not by much. I think it was 4.5M3, and it loaded A-35's in 3 passes. The machine handled it fine, and would have handled more. Just dont count on taking a full bucket to max reach over the side. You don't load trucks that way anyhow, so it is no problem.

On another note, I swing a 9CY with my 375 Cat, and it is a good 3 pass load on A-40's.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Nice job there MKTEF , did we leave the army????

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Stock: Yes, i applied for a job as a production manager on a highway project. The offer was so good i couldn't turn it down...Is now on the machinery departement who "owns" the equipment and rents it out to our projects. AF got apr 2200 employees and is the 3. biggest construction firm in Norway. We are nr 2 in heavy equipment. A realy serious and good firm.:)

Regarding profile, we wanted the forces in the machine, so the tipradius is as recomended by Volvo. We also didn't want to go so far over the recomended width, so then it had to be long in the bottom.
We could have redused the bottom and increased the radius, but it didn't give us enough volume.
And its not longer in the back than the tipp radius.(we don't scratch the back when courling it in.)
We also needed a supporting profile at the top, as you see.
Thats the reason for our choice of profile.
And thanks for your input..:)

JDOFMEMI:
Thats nice to hear, we are a bit curious on how it will go.:rolleyes:
I'll post pics when we mount it...

Attachments

• skuff700.JPG
    skuff700.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 989

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Progress:
Our welder has done the reinforcements on top.:)
Its been going slow, thin welding thread... many passes..
We had som problem getting hand of the thickest welding thread.
Waited the whole week for it.:mad:

Its a rather big weld up top under that hammer...
And u got to be very carefully, so the brackets dont bend when welding.

We'll see on monday how it goes, mounting later next week.
She needs som paint too..:)

I mentioned "homemade"...
Our repair shop is very far away from home made. They are rather pro....
All types of craftsmen who can make anything from rockbolting riggs to trailers.
We produse stuff from constructing it, to manufacture and documentation.
Plus of course the normal repair of anything from trucks to 4 boom drillig riggs.

Attachments

• skuff33.jpg
    skuff33.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 916
  • skuff35.jpg
    skuff35.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 907
  • skuff34.jpg
    skuff34.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 887
Last edited:

Colorado Digger

i know i am off topic, but when you have time please post a few pics of the rock buckets you guys run on the excavators

this sand bucket you can have built in the garage is amazing!!

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Put the biggest bucket on that thing you can. If you can't fill it up all the time, then just put as much in as it will handle.

Nice fab work also.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Stock: Yes, i applied for a job as a production manager on a highway project. The offer was so good i couldn't turn it down...Is now on the machinery departement who "owns" the equipment and rents it out to our projects. AF got apr 2200 employees and is the 3. biggest construction firm in Norway. We are nr 2 in heavy equipment. A realy serious and good firm.:)

Congratulations on the move and let me wish you the very best with your new career, but with that quality of work you do well in civvy street (civilian)