• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any of you got experience with real big buckets on EC700C?

I AM IRONMAN

Occupation
Sales & Consultant Rep.
The Bucket looks real good! Any idea what the cost is going to be that you have in it?
It looks well engineered....did you have drawings or plans?

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Pics of rock bucket, her you go:
We managed to sell one coupler and a bucket to our demolition departement.:)
They need the bucket in between the other stuff, but mostly use other tools..:rolleyes:
As you can see, there was some measuring before construction..

I am ironman:
Budgetary cost is 33% lower than the cheapest offerred one. But this one is 100% Hb450, no producer will build it that way.
We got the stick dimentions book from Volvo. And offer drawings of rock buckets.
Our workshop foreman draw the whole bucket, after a discussion about the dimentions and quality.
And i've done som schetches in Autocad too.:D

Attachments

• 700 i lasting 3.jpg
    700 i lasting 3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 840
  • 700 i lasting 4.jpg
    700 i lasting 4.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 850
  • 700 i lasting 2.jpg
    700 i lasting 2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 860
  • 700 i lasting.jpg
    700 i lasting.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 858

Colorado Digger

thanks

i find the use if a quik coupler with a couple different buckets very interesting.
we use hydraulic thumbs, bit with those long lipped buckets i am sure moving rock is much easier than a conventional bucket.
the scale of your work is much larger than ours. the tandem dump trucks do not much like being loaded with shot rock, hard rock, granite or c and d unless you have a thumb to set them in the box.
i think you guys are a step ahead of us with the use of different types of work tools
thanks for sharing.
regards, cd

:usa:usa

dirty4fun

Great looking buckets, I really like the double row of teeth. Looks like it would help fill the bucket and cut the wear down on the lip to about nothing. Thanks for sharing, sure enjoy the pictures and details.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzYU77X3Ir0
Sorry about the recording speed, i've got to to many thumbs.;)

A little bit bether than the rock bucket.:D
5 buckets on the 775E, same as our 385C.
And 1:15 in loading time, 385C 1:25...:cool2
And thats on truck number 6 after mounting it!

Operator says 3 buckets on a A40.(Heaped buckets)

Was a bit surprised myself, more stable than i expected.:)
Handled it realy well. Not to big, but right for a job like this.
Even stronger on the curl, compared to the rock bucket.
This 700 will compete with our 385C.
I'll monitor the fuel consumption after a while too.

Attachments

• testing.jpg
    testing.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 715
  • utsikt 700.jpg
    utsikt 700.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 699
  • lasting 11.jpg
    lasting 11.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 700
  • utsikt 700 2.jpg
    utsikt 700 2.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 696

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Looks good Sir. I'm pretty sure I read it before, but I can't find it now. Is this EC700 in a quarry or on a jobsite?

hvy 1ton

The 700 handled the bucket really well. The fact that you're a bit surprised at how well it does makes me feel a little less silly. Is the squeaking from the bucket cylinder guard?

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Well, the bolt reinforcements on the main bucket bolt is a bit too tight.
There is som squik from it. And the grease haven't goten out there too. After a couple of rounds on the greasing system and some wear it will be fine.

This job is on a project where JR/AF prepares the ground for a logistics/warehouse building.

The antenna at the back of the cab shows it got GPS....It got one on the right side too, post #22.(its two different machines, but they are equall)

The last pic show the tipping point sideways. Our goal was 4 buckets on a A40, so we are bether out than planned.
5 on a 775 means we are in the 385 division..And that was not planned.
Still, our 385 uses 4 when his bucket is not so weared down, as it is right now...
We are streatching the 700, but a machine as big as this is for loading trucks.
Then u don't use it with a filled bucket fully streatched out.

joispoi

The finished product looks very good! It looks right at home on the 700. You said no producer would make an entire bucket out of hb 450. I´m 99% sure that VG (www.hardoxbuckets.com) will build you anything you ask for (although, from the looks of this thread, you don´t need anyone to build you anything). Their 5.5m3 bucket is listed in their 55-65 ton machine section. After that, their next size up is ''custom''.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Your are very close to the truth there Joispoi:D

I checked VG out, end price would be nearly twice the cost of ours.;)
Of course i didn't find them, when i did my research.:(
But i'll have to check out their side dump bucket.:)

Then this is a test bucket, we have to watch and see how it goes.
(some guys(boss?) was so excited he had problems working, when we where mounting it. He couldn't attend the fun...)
I already see that the brackets should have been extended more forward, from the edge. It cracks some rock between the stick and the top.:cool2

Our plan now is to use it on this project, and then demount it and take it back to our shop. Then check for wear and weld on the nessesary strips. And of course give it a blast and some AF paint.:cool:

Some more pics:
Cat385C JR in yellow jacket to the left in first pic.(Foreman now..)
The bolt of course turned when mounting, so the locking bolt didn't fit.:(
I realy like the logo plate:D But it needs some paint to show good.

Attachments

• skuff32.jpg
    skuff32.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 947
  • montering.jpg
    montering.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,629
  • nyskuffa.jpg
    nyskuffa.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,232
Last edited:

JDOFMEMI

MKTEF

That is a very nice arrangement. The 700 seems to handle it well. That bucket is similar in size to the one on my 375, but the 700 is a much faster machine. For 5 passes I am about 1:45, so not nearly as fast. We do 3 passes in a 40 tonner in about 1:10 or so with average digging, much like in your video.
The 700 really seems like a bigger machine, and very fast for the size. I like your arrangement of the standard boom with the short stick, but not the mass excavation one. Gives you enough reach to have some flexibility in spotting trucks while handeling the bucket as long as you remember not to try to stretch out with a full bucket. If the truck is too far away, you can put some in close, then fill the farther away part with the rest of it.

I had people tell me mine was too much bucket, and it would ruin the machine. I now have over 15,000 hrs on it, and about 75% of them with the large bucket, and no more trouble than usual for the hours.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Thank you Jerry!

I realy apreciate the feedback from you guy's in here. Over here many have the yellow fever, and imediately starts a argument about anything..

Regarding wear i don't think its any problem. You load the machine as much with a smaler bucket fully stretched, as with a big one close.
But i have to admit the bucket is bigger and the result bether than expected:)
We are in high power mode, and the load is so heavy it wount lift it when the stick is more than vertical.(apr)
But thats as expected when u push the limits.
Fuel consumption is the one to keep the eyes on now.
I think we can live with some seconds more pr truck, if we turn off the high power mode.
It handles the bucket with power off and one notch down on the gas...

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
You guys did a real professional job on that bucket, looks very nice.:)

How come the Volvo is working in the pics and the Cat is sitting?:D

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
I've inspected both Volvos and Cats in AF. We are both the biggest Volvo customer, and the biggest Cat customer in Norway.:)
There is no difference in the two, they are equaly good both.
The 385C sits because of broken exaustmanifold bolts, worn out bucket and a big service.;)

Its realy funny, we inspected two L350F and a 988H the same week, with nearly excact same hours on the meter.
They had the same problems all of them.:rolleyes:

That Volvo had a realy bad rockbucket, now it got a new big sand bucket.
Its there as a spare machine, for use when the others are down.
We'll see if the 365c will be spare now...:D

JDOFMEMI

MKTEF

Thanks for the kind words.

If you can, let us in on your fuel consumption numbers.
My 375 Cat runs about 16.5 to 17 gallons per hour.
When I had the rented EC700, it ran 12 to 13 gallons per hour.

4 to 5 gallons per hour savings add up in a hurry.

All the running was on high power setting, and the consumption numbers were while 100% truck loading application. I see no use in trying to ease up when doing production loading. I do like to run a lower setting for general utility work.

hammerman

Occupation
excavator operator
Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzYU77X3Ir0
Sorry about the recording speed, i've got to to many thumbs.;)

A little bit bether than the rock bucket.:D
5 buckets on the 775E, same as our 385C.
And 1:15 in loading time, 385C 1:25...:cool2
And thats on truck number 6 after mounting it!

Operator says 3 buckets on a A40.(Heaped buckets)

Was a bit surprised myself, more stable than i expected.:)
Handled it realy well. Not to big, but right for a job like this.
Even stronger on the curl, compared to the rock bucket.
This 700 will compete with our 385C.
I'll monitor the fuel consumption after a while too.

Nice pics and video,I like the bucket´s cylinder protection.

hlcrkfrm

Thats a nice job , how come you didn't put a bolt on cutting edge on it . What do you do when the edge wears down ?

rare ss

we used to run some modified 930E CAT loader buckets on our PC400-6's they moved some dirt with those and were pretty balanced
we had the same issue of tipping with our 365C when sideloading off a bench, we werent happy they supplied the machine as it was unstable so the CAT dealer ended up supplying wider grouzer pads and a shorter dipper to fix the issue :)
your bucket looks good but maybe you should sell some designs as the bucket that CAT supplied to us for the 365C the profile was pretty bad and strugged in hard ground
are you going to run a straight bolt on edge or fit some teeth when it goes back into the shop?