• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any Cat 277 guru's? Quit running

Occupation
Driver
While using the machine Sunday moving snow, it quit running. When I go to start it, it'll run for like 1/2 a second then die. Every time that is what it does.
It has fuel and I changed both fuel filters after it died. I do not have any manuals, so I checked every fuse and they are all good.

I took the fuel solenoid off and tested it,,,,, it is fine.

Is this a gravity fed fuel system? Is there anything inside the fuel tank,,,,, like a pick up tube???

I took the fuel line coming from the tank to the first filter and held it down expecting fuel to come pouring out,,,,, and nothing. I then put my lips on the tube and blew into it . I could hear bubbles. I then held hose down and fuel starting pouring out, but by the time I got it reconnected to filter, it was just a trickle.

Would I be hurting anything by shooting air up the the hose from a compressor for 1/2 second?

I guess I should be glad it happened at my house instead of elsewhere.....

Thanks for any help,,,,,

Occupation
Driver
Machine is a 2001 Cat 277.

Is there a sending unit, or anything of that sort in the fuel tank?

I'm about ready to crack the fuel lines at pump and crank over engine to see if any fuel comes out.

stovein

It sounds like the fuel tank cap vent is iced up or stuck, when you blew back into it you created air pressure in the tank for a bit. Take the cap off and see if the flow increases.

Occupation
Driver
After I blew into it and hooked everything back up, I took the cap off and heard a vacuum sound.
I tried starting it with fuel cap off, and still same results.

Thanks for the info.

Per Eriksson

Tank is lower than the filters, that's why you don't get any flow by just holding the line.
On the side of the engine you have a priming pump, that might have reached the end of it's life.

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
Does it have a three wire fuel stop solenoid, and does it always run for a second or until you let off the key?

Occupation
Driver
Tank is lower than the filters, that's why you don't get any flow by just holding the line.
On the side of the engine you have a priming pump, that might have reached the end of it's life.

After changing the filters, I did prime it for about 30 seconds.

Thanks,

Occupation
Driver

Occupation
Driver
I just realized that I have not checked the voltage going to the fuel stop solenoid. Maybe I'm not getting 12 volt to the solenoid causing it not to work.

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
The reason I ask is one wire is energized when in crank position to pull in and one wire is energized in the on position to hold in and one is a ground. I have had 3 of this style fuel stop do the same thing, it runs only in the crank position as soon as you let off the key to run it dies. It was an open in the hold side all 3 times.
Good luck.

Occupation
Driver
The reason I ask is one wire is energized when in crank position to pull in and one wire is energized in the on position to hold in and one is a ground. I have had 3 of this style fuel stop do the same thing, it runs only in the crank position as soon as you let off the key to run it dies. It was an open in the hold side all 3 times.
Good luck.

Tom,
The way you explain it makes perfect sense.

I may take solenoid back out tomorrow, but leave wires hooked up and have my buddy try to start it so I can watch the plunger on the solenoid.

Occupation
Driver
I took fuel stop solenoid out today, but left it connected. I had my boy turn the ignition switch to on while I watched the plunger. Plunger didn't move. I told him to go ahead and try to start it,,,,, it fired right up!!!!

I'm now trying to figure out why when I tested solenoid on my workbench with a battery pack, it checked out fine.

I put my volt meter up to the wire harness going to the fuel stop solenoid and have proper voltage,,,,, so I'm buying a new fuel stop solenoid tomorrow.

I glad to have it back in my shop instead of outside!!!

Thanks for all the replies!!

The plunger didnt move because the solenoid gets its ground through being bolted to the engine. If you ground the housing the plunger should move. If the shutoff didnt fix the issue check your wiring harness where it runs above the bellhousing and also the 12 pin connector at the right side bottom of the bellhousing

Good Luck

Occupation
Driver
The plunger didnt move because the solenoid gets its ground through being bolted to the engine. If you ground the housing the plunger should move. If the shutoff didnt fix the issue check your wiring harness where it runs above the bellhousing and also the 12 pin connector at the right side bottom of the bellhousing

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply.

I bought a new fuel stop solenoid and it started right away! Running great!