• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any brand log trucks

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
This "Jewel" had the emblems of Autocar , GMC , Volvo and White on it . They took the worst components of 4 makes and put them in one truck . The only good thing about it was the 3406 Cat and the 18 seed trans . It would have made a great Furniture Van , it had a wide cab for a driver and two swamper's . It rode on gravel roads like a buckin bronco . You didn't wear a seat belt for safety , you wore it to stay in the drivers seat . Scan541.jpg

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
This "Jewel" had the emblems of Autocar , GMC , Volvo and White on it . They took the worst components of 4 makes and put them in one truck . The only good thing about it was the 3406 Cat and the 18 seed trans . It would have made a great Furniture Van , it had a wide cab for a driver and two swamper's . It rode on gravel roads like a buckin bronco . You didn't wear a seat belt for safety , you wore it to stay in the drivers seat .

I like the subconscious typo; 18 seed trans. It would appear that 18 seeds would match the rest of the truck from the description.

camptramp

Occupation
A spelling error LOL . It had some kind of a torsion bar under the back of the cab and it rode terrible . The truck was leased to Timberwest , I made my trips with it , I did okay with it for hours , so the owner did okay too . Eventually he replaced it with a new Mack . During the 1990's we were usually on Off Highway Log Trucks hauling into Honeymoon Bay DLS , but there were some area's that were being logged and the timber was being hauled on the highway to the Shoal I. DLS with "lease-a-wrecks" eventually everything was hauled on Highway Trucks to Shoal I. and we ended up on new Western Stars .

Old Doug

The Volvo/White/GMC combination produced some of the poorest designs ever. And tough to get
parts for later.
A place i worked at had one that had been a glider. It was put together out of well used parts. The axles were worn bad were the bearings rode will had a lathe that could handle them so we welded them up and turned them down. I think it had 3.40 gears with a 13 speed we run it in direct most of the time i put a few pistons and sleeves in it from guys lugging it in OD before we went to 4.11. I never liked the cab but we took care of it keeping up on repairs and it ran alot of trouble free miles.

camptramp

Occupation
A place i worked at had one that had been a glider. It was put together out of well used parts. The axles were worn bad were the bearings rode will had a lathe that could handle them so we welded them up and turned them down. I think it had 3.40 gears with a 13 speed we run it in direct most of the time i put a few pistons and sleeves in it from guys lugging it in OD before we went to 4.11. I never liked the cab but we took care of it keeping up on repairs and it ran alot of trouble free miles.
I made my trips and I never had any trouble with it . But I won't even get in the cab of another one .