• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another Perkins Pukes

steve wherley

just rebuilt replacement 3054e . here is what I do not like about 3054e NO lock taps on rod bearings ! rods get out of round with heat and hours and in Minnesota below zero start ups and if it's got !5/40 is real bad . Original engine junk rod bearing out and then broke crank and locked up .it was December and being used a below zero. customer said was using 10/30.Just my thoughts. rebuilt 3056 last year and 10,000 hours and crank polished and cylinders hone at machine shop to std. dry liners. Had rod bearing locks

WHAT!!?? NOT a fan of the CAV pump?? are you some kinda Commie?? Lol
Those pumps are the simplest, sophisticated inj. pumps ever made.. & will run, + or - a bucket of dirt..
Now the plumbing was a weak spot. but the inj. pump itself was & still is, a masterpiece of simplicity.. IMO

as to the other posts about mergers, Cat & Perkins STILL have their battles.. weather you call them>
Perkapillars or Cat-a-Perks.. when it comes down to diagnostic computer work, the systems STILL wont talk to each other.. & neither will the guy on the phone, when you call their hot-line about tech. questions.. lol
All you get is> that's a stupid Perkins problem, WE don't support THAT.. So you call Perkins & get the SAME THING, just turned around.. its a nitemare from a mechanics stand point... when all YOU WANT to do is HELP a customer & keep "their" product on the market.. running preferably..
BTW> that last sentence goes A LONG WAY when talking to a technical hot-line..
"hey buddy, you might have told that to the last 49 people you talked to but>> ALL I WANT to do is.. bla bla bla... & KEEP YOUR PRODUCT on the market".. & "maybe" we can ALL have a job..
I’ve read a number of your posts and appreciate your wit and humor lol!

thepumpguysc

Lol.. THAT was before I became old and jaded..
my wife bought me a t shirt that says, “I used to be a people person, BUT people ruined it”..,
Lol

Bajanguy1

Well, the new motor is in. It was a bit of work to get everything to fit, and the radiator door does not go down to its original position due to taller motor, so I welded on a new latch and put in a higher stop.

There was not an upgraded flex plate for my model (226) but the old one is fine.

Machine runs & works great, has a little more power too, and a motor with a proven good track record.

First picture is Cat 226 with new Mitsubishi S4S motor.

Second picture is cracked oil pump on original Cat/Perkins motor, next to motor's id tag. My Cat dealer had very little in the way of comment when I told them of this. I did not ask for anything from them, but wondered why owners of this equipment were not notified of known defective part, so it could be replaced before engine was destroyed.

I have lost a lot of faith in Caterpillar Equipment and their dealer Southworth Milton. I was considering getting a new or used track loader form them, but their salesman did not follow though even though the office knew I was in the market. So I now have a repaired 226 and a new Ditch Witch mini trac, probably better off.

All the years of paying 30%+ premium for yellow Cat branded filters and fluids did not help me out with the defective engine. Pretty sure Wix filters and Rotilla will do just as well, especially at the intervals I change them. No more brand loyalty for this chump!
Just came across this thread. I'm literally thinking of doing the exact opposite swap. My 3044 (246B)is worn and i was given a perkins 3054 , and I'm glad to hear the engine mounts lined back up , I hope the pump does too. I'd really like an original 3044 block to be honest but in Barbados they're almost impossible to get .if you know of anyone will to donate plzz share at davidxc44@gmail.com

U8u812

The bell housing bolted right up. I had to fabricate the front motor mount. Maybe your machine is differnent though since it is a different original motor. Good luck. My machine is still running strong.

One other bit of advice; put locktight on bell housing bolts. Mine worked loose during first year and shattered the flex plate, so I had to take out motor again. Put it back the second time w locktight and torqued it down as much as I could given the awkward position of some of the bolts, has been OK since.