• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another old TLB year built question.

gasifier

I'd be curious as to which local in PA?? most of the "boys" round these parts 'use' their machines the hard way! ;) the one you found would be quite the exception...
No idea, and it doesn’t really matter to me now. Engine oil looks good. All filters look new. Fairly fresh grease at zerks and coming out around pins/joints. I’m going to check hydraulic oil level and put it to work when I get time.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
No idea, and it doesn’t really matter to me now. Engine oil looks good. All filters look new. Fairly fresh grease at zerks and coming out around pins/joints. I’m going to check hydraulic oil level and put it to work when I get time.
My 410 too was too nice. No welds, no damage, all the glass in it, original tires were old. It did have a worn out bucket bottom, I concluded it mostly loaded sand trucks for winter maintenance. Under 3000 hours on a 29 year old tractor.

I hadn't owned it long when I learned it was a dud. I believe it'd been useless new & it took all those years for somebody to figure out why.

Mine had bad sections in the backhoe valve. Plenty of digging power first hour, then weak as a newborn baby. A new backhoe valve cured it.

gasifier

Here is a picture of the valve that I was asking about. The higher up valve with the spin out and in single bar. Do you think it is open when all the in?B7C12589-E95E-444B-B575-202BDEAC7D80.jpeg
Lower than that one and to the right a little is another spin out and in right on the block. I’m guessing that is to drain coolant out of block?

And here is a picture of the heater switch that has a bulb inside it. (Heater not working.)0626E57E-AA5B-48D1-8A80-7AAADA485CB7.jpeg It feels like the switch has three positions when you turn it, but when you pull the round cover off and see the bulb I don’t even see how it turn’s anything to open and close a connection. Wondering if these switches were trouble prone? Fuses seem to be okay. Windshield wiper works and I have swapped the fuses to see that they make the wiper and the over the cab beacon light work.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I think the valve spins counter clockwise to open. The switch I'll guess is operating a door or fan.

gasifier

I think the valve spins counter clockwise to open. The switch I'll guess is operating a door or fan.
I think the switch operates fan on heater. But nothing happens. Will be looking into further today or tomorrow. Will see if any heat moves through hoses today with valve in all the way. And if not will move it out and check that.

gasifier

Okay. Got a little time to put it to work this morning. 5467A19A-2CAF-4F86-92C4-EE021F268979.jpeg
Just pulling a few tree tops out of some brush and other trees.27B0D316-5A80-4DF3-9713-2A0B5AF0EC74.jpeg
These are White Ash I took down and am using to start my BTU supply for next season. I processed the larger parts of them already. Just now getting back to finish up the job.
93956F9F-6A08-493A-82FD-6D45CDA6C3FC.jpeg
The 401C ran nicely. There was no heat getting through the lines going to heater cab with that valve spun all the way in. So I spun it all the way out, and sure enough the heat started flowing. I now have heat radiating from the cab heater. :) Just no fan to blow it out and about. So I will work on that problem when I get time.

Unfortunately there is no room for chains on the rear tires.

Delmer

Yes, that looks like a fan switch, and yes they are somewhat troublesome. use a short piece of wire to connect those two wires, bypassing the switch to see if the fan moves, better yet, check the voltage on both wires with a multimeter to see if it stops on one side or if both sides have some voltage. Then move to the voltage supply if there's no voltage at either, or the fan if there is voltage at both.

That switch is probably a resistor to have two speeds, that's why they tend to fail. High speed is connecting the wires directly, low speed is a resistor between the in and out.

gasifier

Yes, that looks like a fan switch, and yes they are somewhat troublesome. use a short piece of wire to connect those two wires, bypassing the switch to see if the fan moves, better yet, check the voltage on both wires with a multimeter to see if it stops on one side or if both sides have some voltage. Then move to the voltage supply if there's no voltage at either, or the fan if there is voltage at both.

That switch is probably a resistor to have two speeds, that's why they tend to fail. High speed is connecting the wires directly, low speed is a resistor between the in and out.
Thanks. I may have a toggle switch somewhere. After I determine that it is the switch, the way you said, I’ll get something better for it. Hopefully that is all it is.

Last edited:

gasifier

Nice. I see now why you want that heater working!

I usually dress pretty warm, and if I keep moving I’m plenty warm. But it’s always nice to have a heated cab where you can sit and relax a little bit. I’m hoping to get out tomorrow for a good part of the day. I only had a couple hours today. :(

showrguy

Thanks. I may have a toggle switch somewhere. After I determine that it is the switch, the way you said, I’ll get something better for it. Hopefully that is all it is.
The heater/switch/blower motor took a crap on my 410 a few years ago, I put a cheap self contained fan in front of it… Works great…. I can get a picture if you like ??

gasifier

The heater/switch/blower motor took a crap on my 410 a few years ago, I put a cheap self contained fan in front of it… Works great…. I can get a picture if you like ??
Okay. Thanks.

Come to think of it. They’re a separate fan in the cab that works already. It’s up on the right near windshield. I guess I just figured they used that for cooling in the summer. I suppose it would help move the heat around. But I don’t think there will be enough heat in this “breezy” cab! Some seals missing.

showrguy

Here’s my cheap fix, primitive, but works great..
Deere wanted $175.00 10 years ago for the switch on top, can’t imagine what the fan motor woulda cost ??

Attachments

• 61D42EEE-BAFE-4911-A8F3-0C248820B107.jpeg
    61D42EEE-BAFE-4911-A8F3-0C248820B107.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • F0C27532-39BF-40BB-AE12-BD2C0F2BCB44.jpeg
    F0C27532-39BF-40BB-AE12-BD2C0F2BCB44.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 1FBCDA1F-86EE-4D7A-A523-F412E1E8842D.jpeg
    1FBCDA1F-86EE-4D7A-A523-F412E1E8842D.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10

Delmer

Maybe a chain on fork? the chain goes under the bucket and a binder onto the top lip of the bucket. Or just a place to hook a chain inside the bucket? usually a hook on top of the bucket, or three across, one in the center and one at each end, is handy.

The fan by the windshield is for defrost, or operator comfort with no AC. If you want multi speed on the heater fan, and your old switch is the problem, nearly any fan switch will do the same thing. Some have a separate resistor so they'd be more hassle to wire up, but most have the resistors on the switch.