• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another old TLB year built question.

boone

Very nice looking machine! That beacon light is the bomb. Does it still work?

Looks like you have an 18" bucket and a 30"? Those are nice sizes.

gasifier

@boone
I haven’t even checked the beacon light yet. LOL

I think an 18” is on it and maybe a 24” or 28”, but I haven’t measured them yet. LOL

I did install a lower radiator hose heater today amongst other things I had going on. That’s always interesting starting and stopping and starting and stopping on a job. But I got it done and it works. I don’t like how it is kinking the hose though. Tight squeeze because of fan being so close. So had to use a little longer piece of hose and that is making the kink. I believe fluid is getting by okay but not at the right level. I ran it for about 45 minutes and temperature stayed good. I’m going to try to fit a curved pipe in there eventually to keep full flow open.

Welder Dave

Never looked that close before but it's weird the door handles are so high. I have a Sims cab off an industrial tractor on my AG tractor. Sims made cabs for a lot of the common brands of industrial tractors and backhoes. I'm not sure if the JD410 cabs were made by Sims though.

gasifier

Never looked that close before but it's weird the door handles are so high. I have a Sims cab off an industrial tractor on my AG tractor. Sims made cabs for a lot of the common brands of industrial tractors and backhoes. I'm not sure if the JD410 cabs were made by Sims though.
Did you notice it was a two piece door? Once you open the “high” handle, you have to reach over the top of the bottom half of the door and squeeze in the lower inside handle to open the lower half door. That one kind of drops or falls off to the side. First time I‘ve had the two piece doors. I’ve got to get that cab heater working!

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Yes, most Sims cabs had double doors. Kind of a pain sometimes and very easy to break the glass or bend the lower door if you leave it open for that quick job.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
The bucket linkage is interesting!

I had a 1981 410 that looked considerably different both with the cab and engine cover so I'm going to guess this is prior to that. The engine cover on yours resembles the ones on the ag tractors, by my vintage the commercial line had its own engine covers.
I had 1974 410, very different tractor. I've never heard of a 401.
Yours weighs about half what a 410 weighs. I'd have said it was built on an industrial chassis. A local farmer had a small tractor I feel is the same. His had a loader & was a very convenient machine for hundreds of jobs around the farm.
The bucket linkage is interesting!

I had a 1981 410 that looked considerably different both with the cab and engine cover so I'm going to guess this is prior to that. The engine cover on yours resembles the ones on the ag tractors, by my vintage the commercial line had its own engine covers.
JD did that so bucket remained level as you raised it.

gasifier

I had 1974 410, very different tractor. I've never heard of a 401.
Yours weighs about half what a 410 weighs. I'd have said it was built on an industrial chassis. A local farmer had a small tractor I feel is the same. His had a loader & was a very convenient machine for hundreds of jobs around the farm.

JD did that so bucket remained level as you raised it.

I think this 401C is heavier than you are thinking. I see the 410 weighs around 14,200 lbs depending on several things. Might be closer to 15-16K with cab, counter weights, loaded tires, etc.

But when you look up the 401c it just says 6807 lbs. there is no way this weights 6807 lbs. That must be just the tractor weight. I think once you add in the cab, loader, and backhoe, this thing must weigh 10-12,000 lbs.

The 410 is definitely a bigger, backhoe loader built machine.

I will drive mine down the road one day, maybe Friday or Saturday, and have them weigh me on the scales at the transfer station. Had them do that for me with a John Deere 210C I had once. I was shocked to find out how much it weighed. Had cab with heat and the tires were loaded.

Last edited:

gasifier

Another question for you guys. I have two fluid lines that come from engine to go under tractor and back up into cab for the heater. One of these lines has a type of valve that opens and closes. I thought they use to be called something else, it spins open and closed. Anyway. Does anyone know if that is closed when it’s all the way out? Or closed when it’s all the way in? I’m inclined to think it’s closed when it’s all the way out. Like on the bottom of the radiator?

gasifier

If it's the kind of valve I think it is, it's closed when all the way in.
I’ll post a picture tonight. I’m trying to get this cab heater working. So I need to be sure I have the coolant fluid moving. There is a round switch for it that actually has a bulb in it. I have checked to see that the fuse is working by switching it over to the windshield wiper that is working. So I know the fuse is good. I’ll post up a picture of that as well. I get no sound out of fan with switch in any position. This fixing will be done on a very part time basis, unfortunately. They still want me to come in to work to get paid :rolleyes:

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Easy way to tell, are the hoses hot?
Heater cores tend to get plugged if anti freeze isn't changed often enough. I've had to take them along with the radiator to a shop boils them out with acid.

boone

That beacon light works! LOL I still forgot to measure the buckets.:rolleyes:

I'd be using that thing all the time. LOL Someone really took care of that machine it appears. Hoping you get a ton of work out of it!

gasifier

I'd be using that thing all the time. LOL Someone really took care of that machine it appears. Hoping you get a ton of work out of it!

The gentleman I bought it from says it spent its life owned by a Township in Northeast PA. Used for a Cemetery. That’s the information he was given. It looks to me like it was kept inside. Or at least under a roof. The pins and bushings seem to be in good shape. Haven’t used it enough to check all hydraulic cylinders. From site they appear to be in good shape as well.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
owned by a Township in Northeast PA

I'd be curious as to which local in PA?? most of the "boys" round these parts 'use' their machines the hard way! ;) the one you found would be quite the exception...