• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

AM General 6x6 M35a2

Timark80

Need an opinion on a possible buy...
It's a 1971 with a 1991 Hercules multifuel,model LDT 465, 5 speed.
Owner says its has been completely gone through with new(fluids) everything.
It appears to be in excellent shape.
Anyone own or have much exp. with these military vehicles?

Thanks

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Depending on your plans for use, you may want to check with your DOT and find out if it will be able to be used on the road. Many military vehicles don't meet DOT specs and can only be used off road, a lot of people find that out after they've purchased.

IH270A

Also a lot of military vehicles were sold without titles , only purchase slips , I had a jeep
like that once ... never did get it road legal .. finally sold it to a ranch for hunting

Timark80

It has a tag and a clear MI title.
I'm planning on pulling a trailer with my landclearing business.
Today I'll call DMV to clarify everything.:usa

OneWelder

I was getting out of service at that time period, This is 2 1/2 ton trk cargo. Which in general were under powered with not enough gears and yes you can shift transfer case but army did not like that as it eventually broke it. I doubt they would pass anybody's smog test.
Good thing about them is they were suppose to be able to carry 2 1/2 tons threw 2 feet of mud !
so off roading would be fine - highway not so good

texascadillac42

How much weight are you talking about towing, and how far are you wanting to take the truck? They are not fast, and as it was said, rather under powered, but they will get the job done.

Timark80

OK here's the deal.
Fl tag+title,dmv said... as long as I have a vehicle title from any state in the US,proof of insurance(AAA will cover),weight of truck at a local scale, they will transfer all paperwork to FL,it's all legal to drive anywhere.
Fl does not require a smog test..."Yet",knock on wood.
I do have a class "A"cdl also.
Be pulling 20k fairly regularly,maybe 100 miles per week total.I can handle the slow acceleration,I'll be on rural roads mostly.
Although, some military surplus vehicles are very diffucult to get titled.

My only concern is, can it handle the 930 mile journey home!!?
It could turn into an adventure:eek::cool:

IH270A

thats a pretty long trip ... better bring plenty of snacks .. one thing about it if it does make it that far , you will know its in pretty good shape

OneWelder

OK here's the deal.
Fl tag+title,dmv said... as long as I have a vehicle title from any state in the US,proof of insurance(AAA will cover),weight of truck at a local scale, they will transfer all paperwork to FL,it's all legal to drive anywhere.
Fl does not require a smog test..."Yet",knock on wood.
I do have a class "A"cdl also.
Be pulling 20k fairly regularly,maybe 100 miles per week total.I can handle the slow acceleration,I'll be on rural roads mostly.
Although, some military surplus vehicles are very diffucult to get titled.

My only concern is, can it handle the 930 mile journey home!!?
It could turn into an adventure:eek::cool:

I think disaster would be a better word !
None of us have seen this thing - it would be hard to say how far it would go. Does it still have the old military tires ? If so they are way to old to be going on the highway, for even a short distance.A blow out on frt. with out power steering is very bad.
Windshield wipers were not very good - defrosters were an extra. You gotta get to the south before you do not need them.
Might be a lot easier and cheaper to have it shipped. Breaking down on the highway is never easy or cheap.
you would not need to get fuel & reg. permits, or buy fuel, not to mention meals , motels ,etc.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
A question for Timark80--have you seen anyone else in your area using one in a similar application? If not, you have to ask yourself why...

telescooper

I had a M109 shop van, same truck as the 2an1/2 ton. I never broke down in 4 years. We just got flat tires. Some of the other trucks weren't so lucky they were broke down alot. I wouldn't drive one 900+ miles no way. I didn't see anybody mention how loud they were. One plus is the front windows lift up, so you got good cab ventilation. If you do road it, goodluck may the Lord be with you.:usa
Telescooper

Timark80

Wish me luck!

I'm flying to MI Tue.
Talked extensively to the owner,he says it would make it,no problem.

IH270A-Got the snacks and earplugs/ipod.

95zIV-I hope my back can handle it.The new Michelins on it should help some.

OneWelder-The old military tires are history,it now has new Michelin G-20 Pilote XL Radials on all rims,including a spare,the dual tandems were removed.

digger242j-In my area there is a mobile home mover and a wrecker using the same type truck.

telescooper-The new Michelins should holdup,if not, thats what AAA is for.
They only charge 250 a year to cover.
The radial tires are supposed to ride Alot better too.
The Lord will be with me.Amen.

Timark80

If y'all don't hear from me by next weekend,send out a APB.:D

Thanks for the input,these trucks are not made for creature comfort.

hvy 1ton

The guys over at steelsoldiers are your new best friends. They are always happy to help out new owners.

OneWelder

Check U-joints & drive shaft bolts - not uncommon for them to loosen up and break
check the brake fluid ! that should be air over hyd. and I do not think it has dual brake sys.- lose a wheel cyl , line, etc. = no brakes

OneWelder

Just had another thought - When you use reverse it automatically engages the all wheel drive, you are suppose to use 1st gear to start out after using reverse. Failure to do so can result in the sprague(maybe?) spring winding up. The result is difficult steering, ft. end shake. - cure jack up ft. wheel and let it unwind, that is if it did not break it or ft. axle
A lot of accidents were blamed on this.

Timark80

Screeeeeching halt,Whoa!

Fuel Permits? What fuel permits?
Fed.DOT says:When driving a truck weighing over 10k with more than 2 axles ya gotta pay about $100 per state,and stop at all weigh stations.
I always heard you had to be over 26,001 lbs. before.
6x6 truck weighs 13,050 lbs.
Am I correct on this? I've heard yes and no.
Dangit man.

Last edited:

special tool

Fuel Permits? What fuel permits?
Fed.DOT says:When driving a truck weighing over 10k with more than 2 axles ya gotta pay about $100 per state,and stop at all weigh stations.
I always heard you had to be over 26,001 lbs. before.
6x6 truck weighs 13,050 lbs.
Am I correct on this? I've heard yes and no.
Dangit man.

This is the reason I do concrete instead of trucking.
You have to be a friggin yoeman to keep track of all these new regs!!:Banghead