• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Alright big equipment guys need your input!

Craftybigdog

Alright guys heres the deal. My best friend owns custom home building business. Well hes tired of paying to have his backhoe delivered to job sites. He wants to buy a trailer and use my F-450 to move it.

1. First ? how much does a John Deere 410 (extend a hoe) weigh?
2. Will my truck move it
3. What size trailer will he need?

Thanks alot.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
What year 410? My first thoughts would be that a bigger truck is probably necessary, but I could be wrong.

woberlin

Occupation
excavating contractor/bodyshop owner
Iwould think he'd need a 20,000gvw trailer, and a bigger truck than an f-450. Most backhoes around here are towed by full size single axle dumps, 26,000gvw and larger. The f-450 could probably do it, but I don't think it would be safe, or even legal.

triaxle

Occupation
CEO Mid-sized Grading Company
There are more concerns than weight

The vehicle in question [ a 450 with trailer & 410 E hoe ] will require a CDL/ hydraulic brake endorsement to drive. Fines for inappropriate drivers liscense $10,000. ( estimated F-450= 8000/ 410 e hoe=15000/ trailer= 7500)

To put this load on a pick-up and trailer is asking for trouble. The pick-up will wear faster and break sooner. Horsepower is a deceptive rating and a big diesel with a huge displacement will last longer and perform better.
Smaller trailers are weight rated differently than heavier trailers and come apart much easier. They have smaller axles of less width. Contact with a deer can end your business.

To pull your friends trailer, be aware that the power unit insures the trailer. If you pull his backhoe on his trailer, you become a "for hire" carrier. This requires driver files and drug screens on file and drug screens on any accident where over $4000 damage is done. ( this is an old law and may be more severe now.)
Usually a different insurance coverage is required for a "for hire" carrier and a different tag. If you pull the trailer and have an accident the insurance company will likely deny your claim if this issue has not been taken care of.

If you are certain that you wish to enter this transportation arena I would suggest you buy trailers with an eye to the future. Most grading companies are limited in their choice of grading machines by their previous choice of too small trailers. Many grading companies move all their machines except the big one because of this fact. Buy a trailer larger than you need, it will pull safer and be worth more when you're ready to move on. Buy a name brand trailer like Trail King, Fontaine, Cozad, Talbert, Eager Beaver, etc., some of the cheap ones are awful!!!!!

Grading contractors spend a significant amount of their time convincing customers to " do it the right way." I believe this is a situation where we should take our own advice. Get a competent, insured and liscensed person or company to move your equipment. The first time things go wrong, it can save your business and your life.

gordyo

Charter Member
Occupation
Fleet Manager
I lease a 410E from a local contractor for snow removal and the college owns a F450 which we park next to it. I would not even consider hauling that backhoe with a truck that small.

By the way that backhoe weights around 18,000 lbs

Last edited:

AFCS

in my area (site developement), we move our dozer, rubber tired hoe, and excavator with our dumptruck and a tilt bed trailer. this provides you with all the necessary tools to do the job.
truck gets equipment to job, hauls spoil out if necessary, then brings in material for drive way and septic systems. truck then is used to aid in clearing, hauling, and materials management when extreme cases come along. we generally are developing up to six sites at once, each taking 4 days total to complete. then truck moves equipment to next job site.
the reason we use the dump truck is that you will pay so much to own a lowboy and tractor, that you are far better off using your dump truck, saving on material hauling time (80 per hour) and still get your equipment moved and not pay 120 per hour for the lowboy.

richardcatdaddy

Occupation
heavy equipment hauler,local
subject

The hoe weighs between 16,000 and 18,000 pounds.Atandem axel dump with a tag along trailer will do the job nicely.About a 18 to 20 foot should do the job for you.As for using the f 450 no.DOT would rip you a new one for that little error in judgement.:Banghead

Mike J

So to all you guys who have backhoes, how far do you drive them to get to a job, and how is your area as far as traffic?

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Not to be a smart alec, but we drive our backhoe everywhere.

Just what I was gunna say. There's a thread hereabouts called roading a loader or something like that.

Old "Effie" the 938 gets roaded all over.....takes about 10 miles to get the flat spots outa those cross plies though:cool2

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I roaded a backhoe about 25 miles once, about 25 years ago. I'd usually not hesitate to road one anywhere within 10 miles, but that was then, and this is now. I worry a lot more about liability and the ambulance chasing lawyers these days, and I think the police are more likely to stop you as well.

All that is considering the fact that we're talking about a backhoe that doesn't have a license plate on it. I wouldn't worry so much if it had a plate, but if you put a plate on it, now you have to feed it on-road fuel all the time.

These days, I'll go a few blocks, but I don't enjoy it.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
All that is considering the fact that we're talking about a backhoe that doesn't have a license plate on it. I wouldn't worry so much if it had a plate, but if you put a plate on it, now you have to feed it on-road fuel all the time.

Well that system sucks with the fuel....we just put a special license on here and away we go. We have a PITA logbook to claim the diesel fuel rebate and the GVM on my truck aint high enough to qualify.

These days, I'll go a few blocks, but I don't enjoy it.

I drive the excvator down the road a few blocks:rolleyes:

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
less then 5 miles we will road, anymore and its on the trailer, the drivetrain is not meant for that, not too good for tire wear either

jazak

less then 5 miles we will road, anymore and its on the trailer, the drivetrain is not meant for that, not too good for tire wear either

That is very true, I rarely see guys roading their backhoes any more because of how much ectra wear & tear is put on them because of it.......

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver

I would say that machines which are now designed to do 30, 40 Mph and more in some cases are well and truly designed for roading more than 5 miles....Unless of course you need to do 32 Mph across the site??:confused:

JMHO

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I would say that machines which are now designed to do 30, 40 Mph and more in some cases are well and truly designed for roading more than 5 miles....Unless of course you need to do 32 Mph across the site??:confused:

JMHO

I have to agree. The 4th gear in most Cat hoes that I've run is a pretty tall gear that I haven't found much use for except traveling to other projects. Can't speak of other brands.

The manual in our 416 is gone. Does anybody know of any limitations on milage that are listed in the manual?

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
i was refering to sustained heat build up in the things like the diffs, it does take a lot of life out of the tires too, it can be done, but it is not good for it