• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Allmand 425 Backhoe motor pulling down

Powder222

I have a Allmand 425 backhoe with a Kubota diesel engine. I was moving some dirt and all of sudden the engine started pulling down and died. I looked over everything and didn't see anything. I started it back up and it runs fine as long as its sitting still. When I turn steering right and left you can hear noise like power steer i low on my truck. If i run it with the forward pedal mashed all the way it will pull engine down. If I let up on the pedal a little it will go on. Any idea what might be going on? It has all new filters for fuel and Hydraulic.

Delmer

TLB-425TLB-425SPECIFICATIONS
Engine Diesel: Kubota D1105, 25 hp, liquid-cooled
Transmission Eaton HD servo-controlled hydrostatic
(65 hp rated)
Drive Motor Ross ME series
Power Steering Load-sensing hydraulic steering with
balanced steering cylinder
Differential Limited slip
Speed Range 0 to 5.0 mph (0 to 8.0 km/h)
Front Drive Gilchrist hydraulic assist (optional)
Aux. Hyd. Output 8 gpm @ 2,400 psi

A little copy and paste if anybody else hasn't heard of allmand, but knows what the components are.

The steering doesn't sound good, but that's not what's causing it to stall is it?

Does the engine ever smoke enough to see besides when it first starts up cold? does it blow any smoke when it pulls down?

Powder222

Thanks for your response. No the engine doesn't smoke and it doesn't stall with the steering. The engine pulls down if I have the forward pedal mash wide open and will stall the engine. I can back off the pedal a little and it will pick back up. This started when I was working on a drive way, bringing dirt from a pile to fix a washout. It was not low on fuel, engine temp was about 175, I had been working about 2 hrs with a couple stops for a few min when I needed to go in the house. All filters are new. Im lost,,Gonna check air filter today,,just reaching now

Delmer

In my thinking a 25HP Kubota is about as simple as it gets. If the air filter were causing it to bog down, then it would be blowing black smoke. If the hydraulic pump/hydrostat were causing it to bog down, then it would be blowing visible smoke at least. Is this a inline injection pump that bolts into the engine block? or a rotary injection pump? or something else? I'm assuming it's old enough and small enough there's no electronics on the injection system besides one, two or three wires for a stop solenoid.

The fuel supply is the first suspect, you could try blowing back into the tank for a quick test to see if it changes temporarily. Look into the tank, if there's a drain petcock on the tank, drain some fuel into a jar to see if it's clean. If that doesn't help, I'd take apart the fittings on the fuel supply, starting with the one from the tank into the transfer pump, and then into the injection pump, looking for trash or debris that shouldn't be there.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Sounds like it’s either low on hydraulic fluid or a valve is sticking.
Is the PTO shut off?

Powder222

Sounds like it’s either low on hydraulic fluid or a valve is sticking.
Is the PTO shut off?
Its full of Hydraulic fluid,, there is no pto shut off as it is a full time backhoe. im new to all this as ive never had any problems with it in the 5 years Ive had it

Last edited:

Powder222

In my thinking a 25HP Kubota is about as simple as it gets. If the air filter were causing it to bog down, then it would be blowing black smoke. If the hydraulic pump/hydrostat were causing it to bog down, then it would be blowing visible smoke at least. Is this a inline injection pump that bolts into the engine block? or a rotary injection pump? or something else? I'm assuming it's old enough and small enough there's no electronics on the injection system besides one, two or three wires for a stop solenoid.

The fuel supply is the first suspect, you could try blowing back into the tank for a quick test to see if it changes temporarily. Look into the tank, if there's a drain petcock on the tank, drain some fuel into a jar to see if it's clean. If that doesn't help, I'd take apart the fittings on the fuel supply, starting with the one from the tank into the transfer pump, and then into the injection pump, looking for trash or debris that shouldn't be there.
Its an 2005 year model. The engine runs good . Ill have to look and see where the pump hooks up. All I ever done to engine was change glow plugs and a new water pump. beside oil changes,, . Im a 70 year old female and Im kinda lost with this. Thanks for your responce

Powder222

Here are some pictures of what Im working on.

Attachments

• IMG_0017 - Copy (3).JPG
    IMG_0017 - Copy (3).JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0018 - Copy (3).JPG
    IMG_0018 - Copy (3).JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0019 - Copy (3).JPG
    IMG_0019 - Copy (3).JPG
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0020 - Copy (3).JPG
    IMG_0020 - Copy (3).JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 6

Powder222

Its an 2005 year model. The engine runs good . Ill have to look and see where the pump hooks up. All I ever done to engine was change glow plugs and a new water pump. beside oil changes,, . Im a 70 year old female and Im kinda lost with this. Thanks for your responce
Ok,,, I went out and took some pictures,,, It does puff a small amount of smoke when it pulls down just before it would stall the motor if I kept mashing the forward pedal

Powder222

The fuel supply is the first suspect, you could try blowing back into the tank for a quick test to see if it changes temporarily. Look into the tank, if there's a drain petcock on the tank, drain some fuel into a jar to see if it's clean. If that doesn't help, I'd take apart the fittings on the fuel supply, starting with the one from the tank into the transfer pump, and then into the injection pump, looking for trash or debris that shouldn't be thi p

Delmer

Ok,,, I went out and took some pictures,,, It does puff a small amount of smoke when it pulls down just before it would stall the motor if I kept mashing the forward pedal
That bit of smoke argues against it being a fuel supply issue, but that's still where I'd start. Basically you have two options, either it's the engine losing power (most likely fuel supply), or it's something in the hydraulic pumps, which is more complicated and more potentially expensive.

That's a simple inline injection pump that's been used for decades, and as reliable an engine you'll find in that size, but any engine can have fuel issues, especially if the fuel sits, like it uses only a few tanks a year or the fuel gets old. You could remove the fuel line to that transfer pump and blow back to the tank, see if fuel flows freely out of the hose if the tank is higher, and stick that hose in a bottle of fuel to see if it still stalls.

Otherwise, to look into the transmission hydraulics, I'd start at the filter or drain plug, but that's probably a mess. If you could find a manual, then pressure testing might be next, but that's not cheap or easy.

Powder222

That bit of smoke argues against it being a fuel supply issue, but that's still where I'd start. Basically you have two options, either it's the engine losing power (most likely fuel supply), or it's something in the hydraulic pumps, which is more complicated and more potentially expensive.

That's a simple inline injection pump that's been used for decades, and as reliable an engine you'll find in that size, but any engine can have fuel issues, especially if the fuel sits, like it uses only a few tanks a year or the fuel gets old. You could remove the fuel line to that transfer pump and blow back to the tank, see if fuel flows freely out of the hose if the tank is higher, and stick that hose in a bottle of fuel to see if it still stalls.

Otherwise, to look into the transmission hydraulics, I'd start at the filter or drain plug, but that's probably a mess. If you could find a manual, then pressure testing might be next, but that's not cheap or easy.
Thank you for your ideas,,, Ill check it out

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Sounds like your hydraulic pump is straining.
If fluid is fine, when was filter changed last?

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Usually, with the hydrostatic drives, if fluid is low or blocked in any way, as soon as you use the drive pedal or use any of the hydraulics it’s really strains the engine.
It very well could be your pump.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
From a dead stop if you mash the pedal you can expect it to stall. I am not saying you do not have a problem if it stalls with the hydraulic or steering but with a hydro you control speed and motion with a pedal and only use as much pedal movement as the speed you want to go and you use the pedal to gradually work up to speed if you want to go fast. If steering and hydraulics both cause a bo it would seem the engine power is down but now days systems are so intertwined it's hard to tell.

Powder222

From a dead stop if you mash the pedal you can expect it to stall. I am not saying you do not have a problem if it stalls with the hydraulic or steering but with a hydro you control speed and motion with a pedal and only use as much pedal movement as the speed you want to go and you use the pedal to gradually work up to speed if you want to go fast. If steering and hydraulics both cause a bo it would seem the engine power is down but now days systems are so intertwined it's hard to tell.
I was moving some dirt ,working on a washout, I noticed the steering made a little noise and got hard a couple times and then as I was bringing the last bucket of dirt the engine started pulling down as i turned into my driveway . I shut it off and checked everything. Then started it back up and it ran fine as long as I didn't mash forward pedal all the way. I had it for 5 or 6 years ,,first time Ive ever had any problems like his

Welder Dave

I'm very impressed. A 70 year old female running and maintaining a backhoe who is more articulate in explaining a problem than half the people on the forum. There should be an award for her. Bravo!

Powder222

I'm very impressed. A 70 year old female running and maintaining a backhoe who is more articulate in explaining a problem than half the people on the forum. There should be an award for her. Bravo!
Thank you,,, I guess ya do what ya gotta do. Looks like my next step is try to hook up a gauge somewhere to see how much pressure my pump is pumping. Also find out what it should be be. Im learning.