• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Allmand 425 Backhoe motor pulling down

Vetech63

When I turn steering right and left you can hear noise like power steer i low on my truck. If i run it with the forward pedal mashed all the way it will pull engine down.
Does the engine pull down with any other hydraulic functions? Try bottoming out the bucket and boom. If it does, then it may be a fueling problem.

Powder222

Does the engine pull down with any other hydraulic functions? Try bottoming out the bucket and boom. If it does, then it may be a fueling problem.
I have extended the bucket and boom and didn't notice any pull down . I didn't try any digging as its sitting on concrete. The engine seems to run good. Starts easy,, Ill try and put some preasure on the bucket and boom,,, Thanks for your response

Delmer

Do you still have the old hydraulic filter to cut open and examine? that would be a gold mine of information.

How many tanks of fuel does this go through in a year? and how often do you buy fuel for it? I'm still betting on fuel even though a lot points elsewhere.

Powder222

Do you still have the old hydraulic filter to cut open and examine? that would be a gold mine of information.

How many tanks of fuel does this go through in a year? and how often do you buy fuel for it? I'm still betting on fuel even though a lot points elsewhere.
Yes, I still have the filters,, . As for fuel ,it get filled up regularly as I use it for a lot of different things here on 5 acres. it get used at least once a week and I start it every couple of days if Im not useing it. It doesn't have a big tank and 5 gallons will fill it most times

Powder222

That bit of smoke argues against it being a fuel supply issue, but that's still where I'd start. Basically you have two options, either it's the engine losing power (most likely fuel supply), or it's something in the hydraulic pumps, which is more complicated and more potentially expensive.

That's a simple inline injection pump that's been used for decades, and as reliable an engine you'll find in that size, but any engine can have fuel issues, especially if the fuel sits, like it uses only a few tanks a year or the fuel gets old. You could remove the fuel line to that transfer pump and blow back to the tank, see if fuel flows freely out of the hose if the tank is higher, and stick that hose in a bottle of fuel to see if it still stalls.

Otherwise, to look into the transmission hydraulics, I'd start at the filter or drain plug, but that's probably a mess. If you could find a manual, then pressure testing might be next, but that's not cheap or easy.
Good Day,,, I had someone else get on it and come up a hill and when it pulled down it put out more smoke than i had thought it was. I drained the fuel tank and the fuel was very clean. Guess it time to dig into the hydraulics'.

Powder222

I'm very impressed. A 70 year old female running and maintaining a backhoe who is more articulate in explaining a problem than half the people on the forum. There should be an award for her. Bravo!
Well I got my backhoe fixed today. turned out an O ring on a relief valve on the gear pump behind the Hydrostat had broke. It is a hard O ring. Replaced it and everything is working once again. Just amazing what a mess an O ring can cause.

Powder222

TLB-425TLB-425SPECIFICATIONS
Engine Diesel: Kubota D1105, 25 hp, liquid-cooled
Transmission Eaton HD servo-controlled hydrostatic
(65 hp rated)
Drive Motor Ross ME series
Power Steering Load-sensing hydraulic steering with
balanced steering cylinder
Differential Limited slip
Speed Range 0 to 5.0 mph (0 to 8.0 km/h)
Front Drive Gilchrist hydraulic assist (optional)
Aux. Hyd. Output 8 gpm @ 2,400 psi

A little copy and paste if anybody else hasn't heard of allmand, but knows what the components are.

The steering doesn't sound good, but that's not what's causing it to stall is it?

Does the engine ever smoke enough to see besides when it first starts up cold? does it blow any smoke when it pulls down?
I got my backhoe fixed. It was a broken O ring on a relief valve on the gear pump which is on the back of the hydrostat. Replaced the Oring and everything works good again. Amazing what a broke O ring can cause.