• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Alliss Chalmers TS 562 Twin engine Scraperr

fiatallisguy

hi there guys
I aquired a 562c a couple of years ago, I haven't got to run it much because we need to re do some of the air hoses and hyd. hoses, it purrs around the yard and the air over electric over hydrulic controls are years ahead of their time. this machine is one of the last made and we don't know of many more around anymore. I can post some pics in the next couple of weeks if anyone would like.

fiatallisguy

hi there guys
I aquired a 562c a couple of years ago, I haven't got to run it much because we need to re do some of the air hoses and hyd. hoses, it purrs around the yard and the air over electric over hydrulic controls are years ahead of their time. this machine is one of the last made and we don't know of many more around anymore. I can post some pics in the next couple of weeks if anyone would like.

sorry I mean electric over air, not air over electric, thought I better correct myself

Gord229

Occupation
Operator
G'day fiatallisguy
Would love to see pics when you get around to it. These machines are so rare it is good know at least one is being preserved.
Best of luck
Cheers
Gordon

X Quad Operator

Good morning fiatallisguy, I had the pleasure of working around the 562's and the twin scraper 562's a lot back back in the early 1960's. My thoughts were the 562 loaded faster than the original 1962 model 657 and they sure would run faster the 657 it would run 32 mph where the 562 ran about 45 mph. Do you still work your 562? are you a greading contractor and yes by all means post us some photos please. Mike Nebergall

fiatallisguy

Good morning fiatallisguy, I had the pleasure of working around the 562's and the twin scraper 562's a lot back back in the early 1960's. My thoughts were the 562 loaded faster than the original 1962 model 657 and they sure would run faster the 657 it would run 32 mph where the 562 ran about 45 mph. Do you still work your 562? are you a greading contractor and yes by all means post us some photos please. Mike Nebergall

hi there
We are a grading contractor. We do dubdivison work for the city here and also oil well lease building and roads. We don't run the 562, we haven't got to load it with dirt since we got it do to an air pressure problem that we haven't had time to fix yet. we have run it around our yard just to see how it works, ect. We have had a few people contact us, worried we would part it out or scrap it, no need to worry about that as long as I am around. We are hoping this winter we will get time to fix it and maybe play with it on the weekends, but I don't think we'll ever put it into full production mode again. We currently run Fiat allis 262-b's. We also have a couple smaller allis scrapers we hope to get a chance to play with. we have a ts 160 and a 360. the 160 has a stuck engine but we have another one ready to drop in. it is in pretty nice original shape. the 360 came to us quite beat up so I don't know when we will get to fixing it. we also have a HD 21 that we like to play with as well. It runs really nice but need undercarrige. we had the 562 parked beside the 160 and I thinks the 160 would almost fit in the bucket. I wish I would have got a picture, one day they will be side by side again and I snap one. we also have an old ts 200 but it is apart on the hill. My grandfather bought it back when they were still making them for parts for another one they had. We have enough pieces that we could make a go of it but I think we'll do the other one first. the grill and hood are still there so thats the most important as far as I am concered.

johnhenryrolf

Occupation
equipment operator (Coffey County, KS)
Hi fiatallisguy, I am wondering if the fiat-allis machines are fairly popular in Canada, because here in po-dunk Kansas, I would say that I've only seen a few at best! My experience is mainly on CAT, so I'm just wondering how "bullet-proof" these things really are.

johnhenryrolf

Occupation
equipment operator (Coffey County, KS)
Nice machine...what is the tire size on that beast? How many yds heaped? Look's like a runner!

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
In looking though the various threads here devoted to the 562, it looks like the early ones had cable lift aprons and your (FA Guy) is all hydraulic... it that right? Just curious... I hope you don't think we're gonna let you off the hook with just one pic, do ya? LOL!

Alan

fiatallisguy

yes this one is all hydrulic, I am not sure on when they made the switch. I will try to get some more pictures in the spring, right now it is sitting in a snow bank. hopefully we will get to use it sometime this year and I can post a picture or maybe a video if I get the chance.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Snow... that's the white stuff, right? We don't have any here... and I'm not missing it. Please don't send any soon!
Take care and stay warm!
Alan

fiatallisguy

I want to run it probably more than you want to see pictures of it. However it hasn't hauled a load of dirt since it came to us. we have to fix an air valve and we haven't put the rear driveshaft in yet. (they roaded it to us with no brakes or rear engine, it is a 2 hour drive in a car @ 60 miles an hour). anyway the pic I posted is the only one I have right now, but believe me, if it so much as moves I will be snapping pics and posting them. we want to play with it, but we are so busy right now, we don't have the time to fix it ( dosent help it is out in the snow and isn't at our shop). I will get some more up someday, hopefully sooner than later.

817schou

Occupation
Retired
I was enjoying my spare time this evening and the photo of your 562C really made my day. It made it so worth-while to get a successful search. I thought they had all but vanished. Probably the most well styled beautiful big scraper ever made. I travelled to California about 2005 to search for one and I did, with the help of a small contractor in Sacramento, locate a 562C converted to a water tanker . This machine was scrapped but the AC 25000 was sold to a machine enthusiast. Altfillisch Fulton used them at Wind Gap in the mid sixties I think, where a pumping station was built to pump water from Northern California, along the California Aqueduct, then over the Tehachapi Mountains to Los Angeles. The amazing thing was that after 40 years after that job finished I was able to take photos showing the same mountains as in an article about the Altfillisch 562's in an Allis Chalmers Reporter magazine featuring that job. That was a great day but it was very quiet without the scrapers! I love that 562 of yours and I hope to hear back from you. Good Luck Brian

X Quad Operator

Neat brousher Alan. It's a shame Allas-Chalmers, and Euclid arn't still in the scraper business, giving Caterpillar fits, can you e-mail those serial numbers on the DW20 with the front end lifts, I screwed up and deleated them. Did you get the pictures I sent you. Oah, Good-morning. Mike Nebergall

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
windows-service-pak-3_phils-phun-090818.jpg
Mike, will do. Trying to scan these and some other pictures and still learning how to do it. darn computer seems like it won't recognize something it has stored on itself.. figure that one out! Damn things...
Alan

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
It does seem kind of odd that all the great names of the past have dwindled down to one big scraper manufacturer, and a few that make small ones..when you consider how many makes of off road articulated trucks there are now. Don't get me started on rubber tired tractor pulled scrapers.. whole different ball game.

I'm betting Cat makes sure that it's best improvements patents stay up to date. And if you don't have a cushion ride of some sort, you ain't never gonna keep up with Big Yellow these days. Terex still has (?) the TS14.. but I think they sell about 2 a year. None around here, that's for sure. IH/Komatsu both tried, Komatsu gave up, and IH quit putting R&D into theirs.. those 430 series my former employers had didn't last long. The late 70's Fiat-Allis scrapers looked a lot more modern than their Cat counterparts, but I never actually saw any of them and I don't know how well they held up. Seem like all the rest still in business are satisfied with 12-15 yard paddlewheel types.

Hoes and trucks may have taken a bite out of the scraper market, but it still seems wierd that there is only one large scraper maker now.
I used to pour over old Engineering and Mining Journals at our local library, dated from the 50's to the 70's... things sure were more interesting when the field was more even!

Alan

Last edited: