• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Alliss Chalmers TS 562 Twin engine Scraperr

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
Can any one enlighten me about these scrapers. WE had TS 360 and were told that we should get twin powered Ts562 We didnt But have allways wondered how they went, The Ts 360 was a good reliable machine was about 1959 t wasn't the quickest machine but every day you new you would get a full days work out of it,We allso had a few cat asrapers and if you got a days work out of them withourt someting going wrong you thought it had been a good day, They newer DW21s and newer than the Allis chalmers

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
Allis Chalmers did make a big twin was roughly in the same class as the 657 TS32, was called a TS 562 I do remember having some sales brochures on it some where but from memory it was around 870hp all up and about 40cu yds capacity. They also made twin engine pusher which was basicaly a 562 with the bowl removed the two tractor units hooked together back to back with a pusher pad on the front it was called 555. Cheers RDG.

Last edited:

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
I am interested in finding out about the ts 562 as one of local shire engineers was in the states on a scholarship and he was on a projecct where there were about ten of them working {so he said} and he reckoned he had never set eyes on a machine that could dig dirt likethem , they had a slight shovel nose cutting edge so they could really dig he was all for us buying them, he reckon they were 50yarders heaped so i,ll remain curious Thankyou RDG

953 428 12

Western Contracting had two new AC 562s on a job at Questa, NM. in '65. They were fast and hauled alot of dirt. No push-pull.

Gord229

Occupation
Operator
I am interested in finding out about the ts 562 as one of local shire engineers was in the states on a scholarship and he was on a projecct where there were about ten of them working {so he said} and he reckoned he had never set eyes on a machine that could dig dirt likethem , they had a slight shovel nose cutting edge so they could really dig he was all for us buying them, he reckon they were 50yarders heaped so i,ll remain curious Thankyou RDG
Hi lpnt65
Don't know whether this may help but found this photo of the AC 562.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/allis-chalmers-562-motor-scraper-brochure#
Cheers
Gordon

RDG

Occupation
Found a bit more info on the 562, first produced in 1962 and ending in 1966 with about 130 produced, the 562 C was the last and was rated @ 44yds heaped. The book mentions one California contractor who had 24 562s of which 7 were tandem bowl units. There was also a prototype single engine version called the 560 but it is not known if any were produced. The 555 double ended tractor was beset by brake and final drive problems and only 4 or 5 were ever built. There is a couple of books on Allis Chalmers one which I have called Allis Chalmers Construction machinery & Industrial equipment by Norm Swinford has a lot of pics and info on all their machines. Cheers RDG.

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
Before their time and didn't have Cat or Euclid on them all of the ts 360 /ts260 and 469 were good reliable machines A company in New Zealand used earlier models ts300 aqs rear dumps in a coal mine also had fleet of Ts 360scrapers

RDG

Occupation
That would probably be Downer Construction, they were part of the C P D group, Cable Price Downer, Cable Price were the Allis Chalmers agents in NZ back then and Downer used to run lots of Allis gear, big fans of HD 21s & Cat scoops and AC scrapers. Cheers RDG.

gerald

Occupation
Owner and CEO of Gerald Chambers & Sons Inc.
the contractor that built the earth fill for Barkley Dam here in west kentucky bought 5 new 562s, I ran one of them on the nite shift.
They were very fast and had plenty of power, and moved a lot of dirt. They would run 35 to 40 miles per hr loaded. I often wandered what would happen if you blew a front tire. I found out one nite running full speed on a one mile haulroad. It sounded like a bomb had gone off, the right side droped down like the wheel had fallen off but the tractor went straight ahead, I carried my pan low when traveling on the haulroad, when it went down the pan hit the ground and stopped me, I didn't even hit the brakes. What suprised me most was the control I had of the machine under those conditions.

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
I believe Altfillish Const in L.A. California had a large fleet of these machines. Bill Signs (of Signs & Pinnick ) told me he worked on a freeway job job in San Diego Ca about 1965 building I-5 from Genesse ave to Sorrento Valley. They were great dirt movers, easy to load, but thier biggest downfall was the engines were turned up so much to make extra horsepower, he reported to me that sometimes they would only get about 500 hours out of a engine. They also had a 555 pusher, but it was a mechanics dream.

Last edited:

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
Unusual for TS360 to have engine problems.Some of the 360s that i know of had 99.8% availability over 4years. no other problems in other areas either,
On the TS 562 Scrapers i've found an older type Allis Chalmers product book with all info on their line up of machines in cluding Ts562 scraper. thankyou to everyone who has responded to my request

Last edited:

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
HI i know that this is getting a bit long in tooth bUt in regard to the Allis engines giving problems, were they like the Fiat allis loaders, built at that time , Some motors were unserviceable at 400 hours it was traced back to company that made engines for allis I understand that the metals used in Cylinder liners and the piston rings were incompatable , on the loaders Fiat came to party and replac ed all engines on pro rata basis So i wonder did the same Harvey manufacturing make the Ts 562 engine parts that would settle the question of short life of engine

X Quad Operator

I worked around the Allis-Chalmers 562's a lot back in 1963, Burt Altfillish/Fulton had a big spread of Allis-Challmers 562 and I think two 555 pushers, and J A Thompson had a big spread of 562,s I worked for Sully-Miller in Mission Viejo California back in 1963 and they rented from Thompson there Allis-Chalmers 562's with the twin can and they moved a lot of dirt on our Sully-Miller projects. I was also lucky enough to run a Allis-Chalmers 555 back in 1963 0n another project, and it took quit a long time to get used to backing up, you had to turn the sterring wheel to the left to make the 555 turn turn right, it was hard to get your brain to work in the wrong direction for the reverse turning, thank god I never ran into a coming scraper coming in next to you. The 555 had the power and the wait, with all the led in the tires it was a good pusher. I have a photo of the Altfillisch spread pushing one of the first Cat 657 scrapers with a D9G and a Allis-Chalmers 555 pushing together and the photo was taken by Shephard tractor and all you see is the 555 dozer and the front radiator pushing on the rear of the D9G.

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
lpnt65

Had acouple of guys in Iowa that had 260's and 360's. Alot of engine problems.

i was involved wiith Both model scrapers on a 4year project the availabilty was 98% nothing else came close to these machin nes none of them were new at start of project. A few later model TS 360 that came in had few problems with the
Con Torque but other than that they also had no engine problems One of them was absolutely abused by the Steerer ( thats All you could call him)he wasnt an operator should have been fired but it never had engine problem:)

X Quad Operator

Good Morrning lpnt65 yes I worked around the Allis-Chalmers 562's a lot back in the 1960's. Your local shire engineer worked with one of two Contractors J.A.Thompson or Burt Altfillish Construction, Burt had thirty? Allia-Chalmers 562's and two Allis-Chalmers 555's. J.A.Thompson had a lot of Allis-Chalmers 562's and quite a few twin scraper 562's. The Allis-Chalmers 562's and Euclid TS32's would run 40 mph loaded on flat ground where Cat's 657 would only run 32 mph, The 562's would literally run circles around the cat 657's. And yes the 562's and the TS32's were faster loaders, faster than the 657's. the cuttings edges were drop center bits, and every contractor then and today that is all they use on the big scrapers, very expensive$. I think the Allis-Chalmers 562's heaped from the factorf were 54 yds. The reason I think that Allis-Chalmers quit making equiptment is Caterpillar came out with 600 series scrapers shortly after the 562's came out and Caterpillar actually ran Euclid and Allis-Chalmers out of business. I know I hardly ever seen any green or Allis-Chalmers equiptment after Cat cane out with all there new equiptment after 1962. I hope this answers some of your questions Mike Nebergall.