1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

After work, hobbies & life after the logs are loaded!

Discussion in 'Forestry Operations' started by Hallback, Jan 30, 2018.

1. wornout wrench

wornout wrench Senior Member

Heavy Duty Mechanic
    Campbell River, BC, The Left Coast of Canada
    Murk100 likes this.
  2. Graham1

Graham1 Well-Known Member

The safety boots make all the difference. At work I’m very safety conscious. My father lost a foot at work, but at home Crocs rule.
    Graham

Murk100 likes this.
  3. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    A lot of the year seems to be 6 day working week, and if not careful part of the 7th day gets roped in getting ready for Monday. So I really value my Sunday "day off", and on Sundays my hobby is to eat. And chase the kids around laughing. Most Sundays we're lucky in that super mum/wife cooks us fresh pancakes for breakfast. It's a good start to a day of snacks and hopefully roast dinner. WP_20180325_09_58_59_Pro.jpg

skadill likes this.
  4. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    Last Sunday I was sent on a mission, and as a bonus I found a great cafe along the way. Very peaceful, very rarely sit quietly in a restaurant on my own, but it was breakfast from heaven. WP_20180318_12_58_47_Pro.jpg

skadill likes this.
  5. Graham1

Graham1 Well-Known Member

What more could you want, a full English, cooked by someone else, piece and quiet and a book?
    Don’t let the missus see your post or no more trips out on your own.
    Graham

6. Hank R

Hank R Senior Member

Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
    John I see you read the same Earthmovers maginze I get to read over here.

7. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Contract logger and cutter
    Those plates look very good!

8. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    It's a good hobby.

In the warmer months we cook outside over fire embers when we can, burger night or sometimes steak night. Then to break it up a bit, we try and do something more fancy. WP_20160916_20_26_51_Pro.jpg
    Here is venison sausages, salmon, and little rack of lamb.

old-iron-habit likes this.
  9. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    Your wood cooking is mouth watering. We also outdoor cook over a wood fire burned down to coals. Waiting for the snow to melt so we can use our new fire ring for the first time. It is made out of 12 Cat 30 track pads butt welded to each other. We use a piece of Stainless Steel open decking to carry the food. I'll post a picture when it melts out of the snow bank.

John Shipp likes this.
  10. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    OIH, your use of track plates is interesting, will they take the heat well without distorting? We've been using washing machine drums with the pulley turned round on the back, they stand like a wine glass. Being stainless steel they last a long time. We have several on the go if cooking for a mob, and alternate the grills around as they burn down, it can be a juggle though.

I'd like to make up a grill a bit like a pinball machine with a firebox at the back, where a constant fire can roar away and embers can be raked out from under it and dragged beneath the grill to wherever needed. One day maybe!

old-iron-habit likes this.
  11. Jumbo

Jumbo Senior Member

retired
    Oh my, we have made a minor transition from iron to food. My favorite hobby.... I just cannot indulge it as much as I used to.