• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

advice sought on case 590

fredb

Occupation
former operator
Could perhaps somebody give me advice on a case 590 SL 2 - drawbacks, advantages etc. I have the opportunity to buy one but don't know anything about case backhoes. I don't know the year, just the serial # and I wonder as to whether one could, according to the serial # tell, what make and size of engine the machine has. From what I could see, it has the old, classic Bosch type injection pump mounted on the left side of the engine. Don't know whether it has a Turbo or not....
Thanks

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
:my2c

I think that series was started maybe in 1998? Not sure.
Case makes good machines.
I also think all the 590series 2 did have the 4T-390 turbo engine.

If you can search for Case parts and get to some part diagrams it will help you determine what options the machine has.
The Case website has newer models shown with some specifications etc, but I do not know if this one is listed or not.

If you can post pictures, prices, etc there may be someone on here to offer advice better than me.
I don't know much about this model machine.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Bowen is right and its a Cummins. All 580SL and 590's have turbos. Series 2 L is a great machine. I still miss the L's and alot of guys I know would agree. I know of very few problems with them. Only common prob I know of is that the muffler mount bolts would snap and would rattle like crazy. Was talking to a guy who just traded his L in with 15,000hours and the machine was all original.

fredb

Occupation
former operator
Case 590 SL 2

:my2c

I think that series was started maybe in 1998? Not sure.
Case makes good machines.
I also think all the 590series 2 did have the 4T-390 turbo engine.

If you can search for Case parts and get to some part diagrams it will help you determine what options the machine has.
The Case website has newer models shown with some specifications etc, but I do not know if this one is listed or not.

If you can post pictures, prices, etc there may be someone on here to offer advice better than me.
I don't know much about this model machine.

Thank you bowen for your "2c"; unfortunately, I can't take pictures....

fredb

Occupation
former operator
Case 590 SL 2

Bowen is right and its a Cummins. All 580SL and 590's have turbos. Series 2 L is a great machine. I still miss the L's and alot of guys I know would agree. I know of very few problems with them. Only common prob I know of is that the muffler mount bolts would snap and would rattle like crazy. Was talking to a guy who just traded his L in with 15,000hours and the machine was all original.

Thank you for your input, JS580SL.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Is it powershift or shuttleshift?
Check front king pins for excessive movement, as well as rear hubs for that matter.
How many hours are supposed to be on it?
Have brakes been done yet?

fredb

Occupation
former operator
Case 590 SL 2

Check front king pins for excessive movement, as well as rear hubs for that matter.
How many hours are supposed to be on it?
Have brakes been done yet?

Thank you for your lines, airman. All I have about the machine is a picture, can't physically touch it. Don't know anything else about the transmission than 4 speed forward/ reverse.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Get ahold of Inland Kenworth in Langley ..... or where ever it's closest to you , with the serial number .... they can give you the build sheet if you need
I had an issue with a 2002 590 SM last year (belonged to a good buddy and the back-hoe control pattern had to be changed to what I ran),and those boys down there told me everything I needed to order parts

fredb

Occupation
former operator
Get ahold of Inland Kenworth in Langley ..... or where ever it's closest to you , with the serial number .... they can give you the build sheet if you need
I had an issue with a 2002 590 SM last year (belonged to a good buddy and the back-hoe control pattern had to be changed to what I ran),and those boys down there told me everything I needed to order parts

Thanks for your suggestion, CRAFT. I' ll see whether I can get a hold of somebody there....

cgraham1

What's the difference? Mine is 4 spd w/ a shuttle and I've had no problems. yet...

Was talking to a guy who just traded his L in with 15,000 hours and the machine was all original.
Mine is almost 10,000!:eek:
I may be a bit biased, but I'm very happy with my hoe...

As far as I can tell, it's basically the same as a 580, but with bigger/wider tires & wheels, longer outriggers, wider front bucket, and a little bit longer backhoe. I like the wider stance, it seems to be more stable to me. And every time I see a 580 I just can't help but think how wimpy they look with those little tires!:D

Attachments

• 0427111246a (640x544).jpg
    0427111246a (640x544).jpg
    288 KB · Views: 1,530
  • 0531001056a.jpg
    0531001056a.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 1,479

fredb

Occupation
former operator
What's the difference? Mine is 4 spd w/ a shuttle and I've had no problems. yet...

Mine is almost 10,000!:eek:
I may be a bit biased, but I'm very happy with my hoe...

As far as I can tell, it's basically the same as a 580, but with bigger/wider tires & wheels, longer outriggers, wider front bucket, and a little bit longer backhoe. I like the wider stance, it seems to be more stable to me. And every time I see a 580 I just can't help but think how wimpy they look with those little tires!:D

Thanks for your thoughts, cgraham1. I feel much the same way as you do when it comes to dimensions. You own an excellent looking machine, must take very well care of it! Incidentally, the price of the one I was after was to high for me, had to let it go... Also, I've never been a fan of Cummins; wonder what other engine options are available for the 590?

alrman

Occupation
The difference between a shuttle shift (what you have) & a powershift - shuttle is generally more reliable & will last longer + you have 4 sp reverse , powershift only has 2sp reverse.

590's also have different hydraulic pump & slightly higher pressures, plus a few more horsepower than a 580. - Give the front end loader a good days work & after 8-9 hrs & you will be looking for fuel bowser to get any more out of it for the day ......... been out to more than a few that thought they could get that last bit done & had run out of juice.

alrman

Occupation
Also, I've never been a fan of Cummins; wonder what other engine options are available for the 590?

Only Cummins is available up to the 590SM series 2 then they only run Iveco.

case 580sm

Occupation
full time backhoe operator
Case makes a good machine, the only backhoe I'd purchase. I'ver heard good things about the 590's, but, I'm happy with my 580 super m. The L's, however are a great machine.

Let us know about ur purchase,

case 580sm

fredb

Occupation
former operator
Case makes a good machine, the only backhoe I'd purchase. I'ver heard good things about the 590's, but, I'm happy with my 580 super m. The L's, however are a great machine.

Let us know about ur purchase,

case 580sm

OK, Case 580sm; I've always liked Case (to the dismay of my brother, who likes J D ) but, after all, I might go for a Cat, then...

cgraham1

I was checking out a Komatsu WB140 that's owned by a local contractor and I'm glad I bought a Case... it seemed like a cheap piece of crap to me. I like Case, but I think Cat and Deere are good machines, too.

I found this on another forum, thought it was an interesting analysis...

"I ran a Komatsu WB140 backhoe at the Case proving grounds in Arizona back in 2000 and I was not impressed with their product at all. I was working for a tractor dealer at the time and we had a product training session going on. Case brought in a John Deere 310SE, Cat 420D, Terex 760, Komatsu WB140, New Holland LB70 and a JCB 214 backhoe and we ran them against the Case 580 M and Super M backhoe (the newest model that they introduced at the time) and we each had to put them through an application. With the backhoe, we had to dig a trench, lift a precast concrete manhole section, load a truck (both with backhoe and front end loader), and run an obstacle course to test the ride control and other ride comfort features of machine. The Komatsu was probably the worst machine that I operated, very boxy, hard to feel controls, controls not as responsive, not a very powerful digging or lifting machine, poor road handling and plastic body parts, like the JCB's. I hate plastic body parts. They also went into the construction of the equipment, and how they built their respective products.

The New Holland, Terex, Komatsu and JCB machines, to me, were "throw away" machines. I thought the only ones that held a candle to Case were Deere and Cat.
"

:usa

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
I think Komatsu parts are really expensive and not so available at least in this area.
Cat owners might say "it's not worth a dime if it don't say CAT on the side."

Case seems way more pupular here in the HEF, and would be my pick.
I hope that's not just because they give more trouble..:naughty :D

Construction equipment operates in a harsh environment and anything can be broke.
Maintaining whatever you get is the key to minimizing downtime.

Last edited:

fredb

Occupation
former operator
Komatsu WB140 comparison

I was checking out a Komatsu WB140 that's owned by a local contractor and I'm glad I bought a Case... it seemed like a cheap piece of crap to me. I like Case, but I think Cat and Deere are good machines, too.

I found this on another forum, thought it was an interesting analysis...

"I ran a Komatsu WB140 backhoe at the Case proving grounds in Arizona back in 2000 and I was not impressed with their product at all. I was working for a tractor dealer at the time and we had a product training session going on. Case brought in a John Deere 310SE, Cat 420D, Terex 760, Komatsu WB140, New Holland LB70 and a JCB 214 backhoe and we ran them against the Case 580 M and Super M backhoe (the newest model that they introduced at the time) and we each had to put them through an application. With the backhoe, we had to dig a trench, lift a precast concrete manhole section, load a truck (both with backhoe and front end loader), and run an obstacle course to test the ride control and other ride comfort features of machine. The Komatsu was probably the worst machine that I operated, very boxy, hard to feel controls, controls not as responsive, not a very powerful digging or lifting machine, poor road handling and plastic body parts, like the JCB's. I hate plastic body parts. They also went into the construction of the equipment, and how they built their respective products.

The New Holland, Terex, Komatsu and JCB machines, to me, were "throw away" machines. I thought the only ones that held a candle to Case were Deere and Cat.
"

:usa

Interesting comparison, indeed, cgraham1.

case 580sm

Occupation
full time backhoe operator
Now you know why so many contractors are buying the case's, deere's, and the cat. Haven't heard too many good things about deere and cat though by lots of contractors I can't understand it - why would they buy them for, but I have yet to operate them, and test that theory. I've had 4 case backhoes in my family, and I can't stress this enough- case is the best, they are always there for parts, service, and the best deals around. There machines last the longest, and I will be always buying a backhoe from them.

case 580sm