• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice on Cylinder Seal Kit

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
So as some of you know I recently purchased a New Holland 675E. I purchased it knowing that at least one cylinder would need to be repacked ASAP. I am in the process of gathering up the stuff I will need to do the job. So, I went to messicks and they have the kit in stock (stabilizer cyl.) for $145 plus $11 for shipping shipping, and of course, plus tax. This puts me around $165. Complete tractor (see link below) has an aftermarket kit for $43 including tax and free shipping. Additionally, ebay has a kit for like $40 shipped. This is a big difference! My question is: Are these aftermarket kits 1. complete, 2. any good, 3. overall worthwhile. Or, should I go the extra $100 for OEM. I am looking for those that have used the aftermarket kits like I mentioned and how they worked out.

TIA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/85802571-S...r:sc:USPSPriorityFlatRateEnvelope!08820!US!-1

https://www.completetractor.com/new...t-for-ford-new-holland-tractor-555e-85802571/

DirtyHoe

You get what you pay for on seals. I bought some cheap seals and it was a waste of my money, not to mention my time. After rebuilding the cylinder it leaked instantly. I figured I cut the seal. After inspection, the seal was about .01" larger on the ID than the original. I like Hercules and Bulldog brand. You don't need to pay top dollar for OEM.

Steve

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Dirty-Hoe, I looked on the buldog site and couldnt find the kit I need. Hercules has it for $55 delivered. If they are known good. I may just pull the trigger on that one. Sure beats $165.

Thanks!

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I rebuilt one stabilizer with a factory kit and one with an eBay kit. I couldn't tell the difference.

That said I hope you don't run into the troubles I had with mine. I haven't looked so maybe your 2000 lists a different number than my 99 or maybe it has the right gland nut for the 858802571 kit.

If yours looks like a virgin it is probably safe to order the 85802571 kit. Otherwise you may want to at least order the superseded gland nut and kit. My piston seal was the same that was in the 85802571 kit I bought so it was either original or the superseded piston uses the same seal. The wear ring in the 85802571 kit was wider than the one in my gland nut and the outer seal from that kit was .050” larger OD. I ended up reusing the wear ring that was in my gland and turning the outer seal bore out in a lathe to use the new outer seal.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
NH575E, 85802571 is the kit that New Holland specifies for my machine. They do not specify a serial number change...I have my fingers crossed that the kit is correct. I do not have access to a lathe, so that would be an extra expense, if needed. Again, fingers crossed that I do not. I am not sure what you meant by virgin...I uploaded 2 pics if this helps Identify.
Unless someone comes along and says the Hercules really suck, I think I will go the extra couple bucks (like $10) for the Hercules, since they were recommended. Then again, I could save a couple of bucks for a six pack if I go with the ebay kit :)the kit that you had no issues with. I am glad I got good feedback regarding aftermarket kits as I can save over $100 there.

As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience!20200402_164320.jpg 20200402_164336.jpg

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
That gland doesn't look like it's ever been taken out.

I would measure the outer seal best I could with calipers and try to measure the one in the kit.

I will try to look at all the numbers I came across for possible changes. When you look the part up online and mouse over the part number I think it brings up the superseded numbers.

You may not know till you have it apart.

Order one of those 3/4 drive peg wrenches.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
All the number changes I had are no longer even listed. The parts page that lists the 85802571 kit shows a gland nut part number of E7NN177AB which comes up as no longer made by CNH. When you mouse over the exclamation point beside the gland nut number it says it was superseded by 82862729 and that number isn't found when you search for it.

https://partstore.agriculture.newho...entInc/parts-search.html#epc::mr65699ar593616

Messick's brings up the gland number but toggles back and forth on the other options I found that are also no longer avaiable. https://www.messicks.com/part/e7nn177ab/plate-base

Maybe you will have the gland that the kit fits but both of mine had to be modified to install the outer seal. Fortunately I was working in a machine shop at the time and had access to a large lathe.

If the outer seal looks different on yours see if a supplier can get you some measurements and photo of the contents of a 84209920 kit to see if it will work.

I can give you some tips on the rebuild. You will need the peg wrench Tinkerer linked to and a 3/4 pull handle and probably a pipe to put on the pull handle to get the gland nut loose.

The yellow seal on the piston is very stiff. Soak the new one in hot water to get it on then compress it with a large hose clamp while it cools.

The groove in the clear buffer seal faces inwards.

Gland.jpg

Last edited:

Tinkerer

The best money you will ever spend for tools if you are going to do your own cylinders. A lot of vendors on eBay sell them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3Pcs-HYDRA...829355?hash=item521af8c56b:g:ul4AAOSwndBcrvOM

s-l1600.jpg

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Ok, so a lot of looking and buying going on here. Dirty-Hoe said that Hercules are good, so I was about to pull the trigger on them @ $10 more than the ebay parts. Then Tinkerer stopped by and said the ones on ebay are Hercules. I did some looking, and found that some are, and some are not stated as Hercules. I purchased the Hercules on ebay. Thanks Tinkerer...now I can have the Hercules, and the six pack of beer with the $10 savings :). I was able to almost purchase the 3/4" breaker bar with the savings over New Holland parts. I also purchased the adjustable gland nut wrench. I spent the extra money to purchase the OTC brand. I did this because I used to use this tool all the time so I felt comfortable with this brand, and it is USA made. When I thought I was going to purchase the B95 that I mentioned in previous posts I found a youtuber that had a B95 and did his own repairs. His channel is Digginok. He has done a couple of videos of cylinder rebuilds. This is where I was first introduced to the cylinder seal tools that Tinkerer recommended. In the video, he said that these were the best hydraulic tool he has ever purchased. So, after tinkerer recommended them, I followed the link provided. As NH575E pointed out these were in china. I then searched for a vendor that had USA supply as I didn't want to wait the additional month to month and a half. Long story short, they are on the way. Back when I was building cylinders, we didn't have them, we just used a pick set to get the seals in and out.
NH575E, thanks for taking the time to research the the possible seal problems. I would say with much certanty that the cylinder has never been apart with only ~720 hours on it. The previous owner did tell me that he only had one cylinder rebuilt. Also, thanks for the pointers on the actual rebuild.

I still have one question: Does anyone know what size socket is required to remove the bolt that holds the piston head in place? Being at my place in PA, I do not have access to my tools that are in NJ, so I probably do not have the correct socket here. I would love to order it prior to taking the cylinder apart. (I am riding out the corona virus in the woods in PA)

So, thanks a million for the info and guidance!!

https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/3-4-drive-flex-36-long-xxl-sk-breaker-bar.html

https://www.cpooutlets.com/otc-tools-and-equipment-1266-adjustable-gland-nut-wrench/otcn1266.html

Tinkerer

Whenever I post a link to anything, it is a suggestion only. Hopefully the user of that link does their own research and verify my info is correct. On ebay you must read the vendors description carefully and research their information.
That set of tools you bought is an example. The vendor, Shenkenuo lead me to this information about them--->
Shenkenuo is trusted by more than two thousand eBay shoppers who have rated the seller at a 97.9% positive overall score. Shenkenuo is based in China and have been selling on eBay since 2016. :(

They are most likely warehousing their products in the US for quicker delivery, but are sourcing it from China.
That is how they get by with a somewhat misleading eBay description.

Last edited:

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Sorry I don't recall the socket size for the piston bolt.

Here is a photo I took of the parts and the kit contents.
kit-comparo.jpg

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Tinkerer, Trust me, I am grateful for your feedback! No doubt, they are importing them! I figure it is the exact same tool. I just wanted it faster.

NH575E, Thanks once again! My fingers are crossed that all the parts match up. Most importantly the outer seal! I honestly dont think the wear ring is that worn in ~720 hours. The darn thing is just leaking externally.

If anyone else knows what size socket the bolt takes, please chime in. It would be greatly appreciated!

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I've got my fingers crossed that your gland is compatible with the 85802571 kit.

I went out and tried to get a good approximate measurement of the outside diameter on the seal that came in the 85802571 kit.
Mine measures about 2.825" meaning it must have been about 2.775" before I modified it. 2.775" would hit near the center of one side if the other side was lined up with the edge so it's a big enough difference you should be able to see with a caliper. If the seal in your gland measures near the 2.825" you should be golden.
seal-od.jpg

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I just remembered I had to go buy a socket for something I was doing. I can't remember if it was to remove the piston bolt on this backhoe stabilizer or to get a steering rack apart for my SIL. At any rate I bought a 1-5/8" 3/4" drive socket from O' Reilly Auto Parts. Check to see if you local auto parts store has stock on 3/4" drive sockets and you may be able to get what you need there when you get it apart.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Thanks a million NH575E!

I went online, and found the 1 5/8" socket at a advance auto parts store. As far as the seal goes, I only have one of those crappy vernier calipers here (a good dial caliper at my NJ house). Using the tool I have, it is the 2.775 size. I am not going to get crazy yet. I will see what is in the kit I get. Meanwhile, I will also look for a local machine shop. The gland nut tool already came today. The pin seems a little small. Was your tool loose in the pin holes? I looked for larger pins to replace the stock pins, but dont see any.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
The caliper I used is a $15 thing from Harbor Freight.

I haven't used my store bought tool yet. I made the pin wrench I used when I rebuilt mine. My holes were egged a little and even though I made pins that were an exact fit it would try to slip out. Make sure and tape some cardboard around the shaft to protect it.

If I were you I would call a supplier to see if you can get some measurements and photo of the contents of a 84209920 kit to see if it will work. I wouldn't modify my gland if I could find a proper kit. I wish I were better at navigating the parts manual. I bet the dealer has notes in their system that define things better than the online version does.

Welder Dave

How much would it cost to just have a shop put your new seals in if you took the cylinder to them? Unless you're doing a bunch of cylinders, which I think is unlikely for awhile, you're spending more money on tools than it would cost to just have it done by a shop. A stabilizer cylinder is the easiest to remove.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Welder Dave, I dont have a problem buying the tools. I currently have 3 tractors with hydraulic cylinders on them. Also, I do not know of reputable places near the tractor. I do not live there usually...I am just now because of the Corona virus.
Thanks for the reply.