• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice for my first big job

OldandWorn

Seems that every time I go to dig on the weekends it has either just rained or it is raining. With 1800' of trench to dig I wanted to try out a trencher, thinking it should speed up the process and save money on diesel fuel for the hoe. I wanted a large ride-on but none of the rental places had them. Just finding ANY trencher was difficult and that should have raised some red flags in regards to the effectiveness of a trencher in this area.

I found a 4wd articulating Ditch Witch (Zahn) with a carbide tipped rock blade and took a few days off with the intention of keeping it 4 days which should have taken care of my property and the steep hill leading down to my neighbors property. I also had to pay for delivery which is why I wanted to get as much done as possible and rent it again one more time for the neighbors property at a later date.

After a few minutes of operating I knew it wasn't up to the task because even the smaller rocks were giving it fits. I decided to have it picked up but I also had a few small shallow trenches I could use it for since it was already there. The entire machine is hydraulic and a hose that operates the chain motor blew before I had a chance to use it for the small trenches.

P6240004.jpg

P6240005.jpg

P6240013.jpg

P6240010.jpg

DGODGR

Originally Posted by DGODGR

Digging the "steeps" will be easier from the top down. You can use a pile of dirt (pushing it with the loader) to help control your decent. The machine will also stay put while digging (machine will have a tendancy to pull itself down the hill if you try to dig from the bottom up). The downside is that you will be pulling your backfill down the hill as you dig. Be cognisent of this and place your spoils as far up hill as possible.
That was my original plan, top to bottom with loader bucket pointing downhill. The dirt pile idea is sounding real good. I will try to keep the spoils high up.

I would not use the "whole hog" (also known as a power mole) if it is rocky.
There may not be any/many rocks in the bottom land where the creeks are. It could be an option. As soon as I start up the hill the difference is night and day as far as rocky terrain. It would be nice to get through my neighbors creeks without disturbing them.

If you do use one you will also have to use it to pull the pipe through the hole (you can't just push it through).
Pull the conduit through? Like hold the device in the air (with tension) and use it like a pneumatic slide hammer? How does one attatch it to the conduit?
If the ground is muddy the hole hog will lose efficiency due to the suction created by the moisture in the dirt. It will also have a tendancy to go deep if it even works at all. To attach the pipe to the hog you will need an additional tip that will be a loop. You will have to cut some triangles out of the end of the conduit so that you can tape the end to a point (duct tape works well). tie a rope to the loop (on the end of the hog) and then use several "half hitches" to secure the rope to the pipe. The tail end of the rope should be taped to the conduit to ensure that the pulling tension, on the rope, will squeeze the pipe through the half hitches. The hole hog will have reverse (you just twist the hose until it locks into reverse) and you will use it to pull the conduit through. Be sure to glue all the joints (that you are going to pull through) well in advance of the pull. This will give the glue time to fully set up so they, hopefully, won't pull apart during the pull.

I would also suggest "roping the pipe" instead of using the 22-1/4 degree bends. PVC will bend (3" easier than 4").
Do you suggest I go with 4". I can use either size.
There are pros and cons to both. Here's how I see them. The 4" pipe will be better for the guys who are pulling the wire. It will also cost more (noticeably), for the pipe and the additional glue, and be more difficult to install. If you are using the hole hog you will need a larger unit to make a larger hole. If you are trenching than you will need 6" wide trencher segments to fit the pipe in the trench. If you are not pulling the wire, I see no real advantage, to you, to use the 4" pipe.

If you have warm sunny days you can employ a "solar bender". Take a joint of pipe and place on end in an elevated position (lean it on a tree, on a fence, or a rock, truck...most anything will do) with the middle unsupported. As the direct sunlight warms the conduit it will begin to sag in the middle. This will shape your bend. Simply rotate the conduit so that the bend is in the same direction as the curve in your trench.
I like this idea! I have also heard of heated conduit benders. Maybe something else I could rent if needed?
You might be able to rent them but I have never used them directly. They will also have a learning curve (you can heat the pipe too much) and I think you already have enough on your plate.

Since you are going "across country" I would assume that you have plenty of room to make the gradual bends. Sharper turns equal more friction during the pull.
Well, yes and no. I need to follow a grass road as closely as possible. The 10' wide ROW runs along the side of this road. It's a real mess at the start of this run because I have the pole, a creek, and the need to get on the other side of the road as quickly as possible because of a buried barn that is not very deep in the ground. A solar bend or heater should do the trick though.

The 20' joints will bend MUCH easier than the 10 footers and the shorter joints probably won't have enough weight to "solar bend".
20' joints it is!

I would tend to agree with the opinion that the 800' pull is too long. That being said the designer is an engineer and they (power company) do this all the time. I would assume that they will employ the use of a power tugger and LOTS of lube. We also don't know the cable size but, again, the engineer should have all of this data taken into account. The only real variable is your trench quality.
She told me they have to keep the pulls under 1000'

I also recommend that you go deep early, at your creek crossings, and not use 22-1/4 bends.
Will do.

Damming of the creek will be the ticket but I would bet that you still will have subterranian water intrusion. I suggest that you have the pipe ready and glued together before you dig the crossing (however much pipe you need to get across the creek and back into dry ground).
One 20' section will easily span the creek depressions.
If you have water in the ditch, and it's deep enough, it will float the pipe. Be ready to have a helper weight the pipe until you can get some dirt on it.

IMO you should be able to keep the conduit dry if you use glue AND primer. The 20' joints are a must. Everything about this job will be twice as hard if you use 10' sticks. I also recommend a brush dobber instead of the crap foam ones that come in the can. They won't break off, like the foam ones, and they hold much more glue. They will apply the glue 3 to 4 times faster. More glue on the joint equals less effort to push it together. You can also save money by buying glue by the gallon instead of the quart. Be sure to hold pressure to the joint for few seconds after fitting it together.There will be hydraulic pressure in the joint (because there is glue between the two pieces of plastic) until it sets up enough to over come the force trying to push the joint apart.
Will do. I'm an anal retentive obsessive compulsive machinist mechanical electrical engineer. My joints will be right or I won't be able to sleep at night

Always install the pipe from the bottom up on slopes. Otherwise gravity can pull them apart and you may not notice it until you can't make the pull.
I'm backfilling as I go because this is a weekend project. I need to dig down the hill. Will the backfill take care of this problem?
It will probably work but I still don't see why you can't dig from the top down then lay the pipe and backfill from the bottom up. You are not going to be able to reach the whole 20' stick to backfill it anyway.
Thank you Thank you :notworthy
The 12" bucket is just about the worst for sticky mud. Try not to crowd the bucket too hard, into the dirt, or fill it too much when digging in mud or clay. You've heard the term" let the tool do the work..don't force it". This applies here too.
If you find a hill that is too steep for you to drive up, without popping the front end up, than you have (2) options. You can fill the loader with dirt (to weight the front end), or just back up the hill.
I noticed that your bucket pins are wider than your bucket. This will significantly slow down your digging when they start to rub through the trench sides.
As you found out on your own that little trencher just won't cut it. The chain is a standard dirt chain and won't make it through rock very well, if at all. The trencher is too small anyway. It will take a BIG trencher to get through rock and the trench may swell, or sag, shut behind you. Probably not all the way but maybe enough to make it tough to install the pipe.

OldandWorn

The 12" bucket is just about the worst for sticky mud. Try not to crowd the bucket too hard, into the dirt, or fill it too much when digging in mud or clay. You've heard the term" let the tool do the work..don't force it". This applies here too.
If you find a hill that is too steep for you to drive up, without popping the front end up, than you have (2) options. You can fill the loader with dirt (to weight the front end), or just back up the hill.
I noticed that your bucket pins are wider than your bucket. This will significantly slow down your digging when they start to rub through the trench sides.
As you found out on your own that little trencher just won't cut it. The chain is a standard dirt chain and won't make it through rock very well, if at all. The trencher is too small anyway. It will take a BIG trencher to get through rock and the trench may swell, or sag, shut behind you. Probably not all the way but maybe enough to make it tough to install the pipe.

I got on the hoe after the trencher was picked up and dug about 120' by the end of the day. I will update the thread with some pics soon. I had no sticking problems but I didn't quite get to the wet clay part.

I'm going to dig top to bottom with the hoe to the uphill so wheelies will not be an issue. This hill was the most important thing I wanted to get done with the trencher. I have a like new seat cover on the hoe and I didn't want to put any pucker marks in it :D.

I'm looking for some narrow pins but it's working ok for the moment. My bucket is 3' tall to the top of the side cutting edges so the pins are not getting into the trench. When I get to the creeks and have to go 6' deep on the banks then it will become an issue.

ijoker

Occupation
Electrician
I just bought my first ever backhoe, and have not been able to work with it yet, so i cannot be much help in the trenching department. Anyway, you are getting a lot of good advice in that area. There is an area that i am good in though, and that is laying conduit. I am an electrician by trade. I think it was maybe 3 years ago, i was working on a job running 1" conduit for light poles. I had ran out of glue and the backhoe operator handed me a can of REDHOT pvc glue. That was some good glue. Unlike the regular pvc glue, it welded that pipe together almost instantly. And where the pipe that was glued with the regular stuff, was coming apart after being in the standing water that was in the trenches, the REDHOT glue kept the pipe together. No primer necessary. I agree with what was said about using primer and glue. They work great together in wet trenches. The last thing you want is for that pipe to come apart, and not know about it til pulling time. And if you choose to do so, you can't go wrong. But if you want something just as good without having to handle 2 cans, the REDHOT glue is the way to go. You have quite a project on your hands. May the force be with you! lol, Joe

OldandWorn

After the Ditch Witch left I started digging with the hoe. At first I was only comfortable moving one thing at a time. Kinda felt like I could have made a great music video for Mr. Roboto or Devo. Where did I leave my flower pot hat? :cool2 The boom swing is a bit worn and I had a heck of a time getting the bucket lined up with the trench on the return. No matter how easy I bumped the lever the boom wanted to go too far left or right.

By the end of the day things got much smoother and I was moving 2 and sometimes 3 things at once. The bucket alignment over trench problem seemed to resolve itself but I didn't know why until oceanobob gave me a great after the fact tip about hydraulic priority. I was lowering the boom as I was swinging it and maybe something else at the same time which was slowing the swing down and making it much more accurate. I stopped at 120' as it was getting dark and would start laying some conduit the next morning.

P6250020.jpg

Lotsa roots
P6250022.jpg

P6260073.jpg

Mouse and snake hotel. Since I have been finding a number of rattlesnakes on my property I almost expect something to crawl out every time I walk by the conduit pile. Saturday evening before quiting I glued a piece of conduit to the first sweep and left it sitting on the ground. Sunday morning when I ran my pull wire through it a mouse came scampering out.
P6250030.jpg

OldandWorn

I just bought my first ever backhoe, and have not been able to work with it yet, so i cannot be much help in the trenching department. Anyway, you are getting a lot of good advice in that area. There is an area that i am good in though, and that is laying conduit. I am an electrician by trade. I think it was maybe 3 years ago, i was working on a job running 1" conduit for light poles. I had ran out of glue and the backhoe operator handed me a can of REDHOT pvc glue. That was some good glue. Unlike the regular pvc glue, it welded that pipe together almost instantly. And where the pipe that was glued with the regular stuff, was coming apart after being in the standing water that was in the trenches, the REDHOT glue kept the pipe together. No primer necessary. I agree with what was said about using primer and glue. They work great together in wet trenches. The last thing you want is for that pipe to come apart, and not know about it til pulling time. And if you choose to do so, you can't go wrong. But if you want something just as good without having to handle 2 cans, the REDHOT glue is the way to go. You have quite a project on your hands. May the force be with you! lol, Joe

Thanks for the glue tip Joe! Good luck with your new hoe :cool2.

Deon

Nice old 410. What year is it? It seems to have an extendahoe. I had a 1981 410 regular hoe for 7 years. I still miss it some times. I made a dump trailer that I toed behind it. I would load 4 yards of dirt in the trailer and 1.25 in the loader and take off down the road. I had great times with that old thing. I bought it for $11,000 and after 7 years I sold it for $9,500 and they kept calling for a month after. I could of got $12,000 for it.
I now have a 1992 JD 310D 4x4 extendahoe. It's an au-some machine, but no stronger than the old 410.
Have fun.;)

OldandWorn

Deon....I have never checked on the year. The seriel # is 410D 307220T and I found it on Craigslist in the Baltimore area. I'm going to guess it belonged to a utility company, possibly BG&E, because it seems to have been well maintained but most of the hoses look like they might pop at any time. Both of the hoe buckets 12 and 24" have "ECD" welded on them which I'm thinking is short for Engineering Construction Division or something close to that. 10-4 on the extendahoe or extendable dipper stick as Deere likes to call it.

OldandWorn

Since this is a weekend only project I had it burned into my mind that most of the trench should be backfilled by the end of the weekend because of rain. It would be nice to do so but the 12" wide trench has made that impractical. My plan was to glue the conduit together in the trench which would allow me to cover most of it. So I got into the trench at the end of my first conduit section and determined that I could do this even though it was a little tight. What dummy me failed to realize was that I would have the next section of conduit under my feet and there simply is not enough room for my feet AND the conduit...what was I thinking :confused:.

I had already backfilled the sweep and some of the first section and there was no way I was going to dig it back out. I looked around the barn and found some scrap pieces of 2x6 and a short 2x10. I used these 3 pieces of wood and made a small raised platform with the conduit running underneath. I glued 3 sections this way to get me out of a bind but it was time for plan B which is to glue on top of or beside the trench and leave much more of it uncovered at the end of the weekend. Another great tip from oceanobob.

The next issue with plan B was my spoil placement because I wasn't thinking ahead. I now want to use 2x4's layed across the trench for glueing but the spoil pile is right next to the trench. A minor mistake for now and I will have to deal with some spillage back into the trench. As you can see in the pic I moved the pile over a bit towards the end so I have a clean lip next to the trench. The pile on the left hand side just appeared there on its own, I guess from bucket spillage and so forth. When I continue I think I will keep that side clean also by dragging it back into the trench before I do the final cleanout swipe. As it is right now I have no access to the trench from the sides without pushing dirt back into the trench before I'm ready for it. Minor first time stuff, you can't beat a man at his trade.

P6250040.jpg

This stone dust is the hot nuts. It looks black cause it's wet but it turns light gray when dry. It's easy to shovel and it makes a nice level bed at the bottom of the trench. 6" on top of the conduit protects it from sharp rocks when they start settling down.

P6250035.jpg

P6260053.jpg

I took special care to tamp the stone dust and fill dirt around the sweep because it's going to be under a precast concrete pad that a transformer or junction box will sit on. Another sweep will be placed behind this one and continue off in the other direction.

P6260050.jpg

P6260070.jpg

Last edited:

OldandWorn

A quick and easy rope holder made out of some pallets I had laying around.

P6260066.jpg

Capped off both ends of the conduit when I was done to keep the critters and other junk out. You can't see it but I slit the orange cap with a hacksaw so I could get it over the rope without having it interfere with the pull. I will have 9 open sweeps when I'm done so I bought a bunch of these inexpensive orange press fit caps to keep it all covered until the electric company pulls the wire and installs the transformer and junction compartments. I'm still 1 foot down with the fill here because I have to run the plastic "buried line" caution tape and a phone wire.

P6260069.jpg

boone

Great projects and pictures! Sounds like your taking note of what works and what doesn't. I'm sure you'll be blazing along once you get your routine down. Thanks for sharing!

:popcorn

ijoker

Occupation
Electrician
Nice straight trenches there, oldandworn. You obviously take pride in your work. Where i live, its a rare thing. I cannot tell you how many times i have gone to jobs to lay conduit where the contractor informed us that the trenches were ready, and when i get there the trench is weavy, and makes such awkward turns that you would have to use manufactured bends to get around them. Which then puts you over the max number of bends your allowed by the power company. Then the backhoe operator gets bent when i tell him he needs to straighten the trenches and dig the corners out so i can get long sweeps in. Long story short, i am always quick to compliment when somebody, like you, takes the time to know what they are doing and does it right. It is always a pleasure working with people like you, and if you were not so far away i would ask you if you want some help.

OldandWorn

Great projects and pictures! Sounds like your taking note of what works and what doesn't. I'm sure you'll be blazing along once you get your routine down. Thanks for sharing!

:popcorn

It's amazing how many small details need to be sorted out when doing projects for the first time. If it was a short run some things wouldn't be such an issue but the bigger the job is the more items need to be fine tuned or you end up making a lot more work for yourself. I really had my heart set on glueing in the trench for a number of reasons plus I can backfill almost to the end of my work. I may experiment with widening the trench slightly at each joint and see how that works. I had to dig an enormous rock out that you can't see in the pics but the trench ended up being about 4' wide and it really didn't take that much time or effort.

OldandWorn

Nice straight trenches there, oldandworn. You obviously take pride in your work. Where i live, its a rare thing. I cannot tell you how many times i have gone to jobs to lay conduit where the contractor informed us that the trenches were ready, and when i get there the trench is weavy, and makes such awkward turns that you would have to use manufactured bends to get around them. Which then puts you over the max number of bends your allowed by the power company. Then the backhoe operator gets bent when i tell him he needs to straighten the trenches and dig the corners out so i can get long sweeps in. Long story short, i am always quick to compliment when somebody, like you, takes the time to know what they are doing and does it right. It is always a pleasure working with people like you, and if you were not so far away i would ask you if you want some help.

WOW! thank you for the very nice compliments.:) Being a machinist and engineering type I tend to over do things that don't need to be quite so perfect but it's always a good feeling in the end.

I picked this easy straight run of 375' first so I could hopefully get all of my experiments and mistakes out of the way. The 900' pull down the steep hill with creek crossing has me very concerned and I'm going to be a mess watching the guys pull the wire through just waiting for it to seize up before coming out the other end. I need to get this done with no manufactured joints.

Thanks for the help offer.:thumbsup Just between you and me I'm starting to think the movie Field of Dreams is a bunch of hogwash! I have dug it, but I have yet to see any helpers walking out of the woods with shovels in hand.:rolleyes:

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
The level of detail and the precision of execution lead me to confidently predict one of the smoothest wire pulls .....any updates worthy of mention?

OldandWorn

Thanks for the vote of confidence oceanobob! I haven't dug anymore trench since the last pics. My FEMA trailer that I stay in has developed a rather serious roof leak so I have been dealing with that. My tractor with a box blade which I want to use for the final leveling busted a special hydraulic hose so I'm taking time out to fix that also.

OldandWorn

Nothing exciting to report except the largest rock so far. It was dead center in the trench so I had to dig on both sides. Straight bladed screws and hoe type digging equipment without thumbs should be outlawed.

What were they thinking. :confused: Just try for a few moments not using the thumbs on your hands.

Lucklily I was able to balance the rock and swing it off to the side.

P7160001.jpg

P7160008.jpg

I have fine tuned my routine and things are speeding up immensely. My time on the hoe is now very short :( compaired to protecting the conduit from rocks and backfilling. Another problem I didn't think about is logistics. With only a couple hundred feet in the ground I seem to be spending a lot of time running back and forth. I need to come up with a better plan for that 1800' mark.

I'm very happy that I was able to glue the conduit in the trench like I planned. The bottom of the trench is pretty darn flat and the joints really slip together easily. At each joint I slightly **** the hoe, ummm, what's wrong with that word? OK tilted the hoe with the stabilizers and make the trench a little wider. Another quality tip from oceanobob. :cool2 It's amazing how just a few extra inches of room makes it so much easier.

P7160015.jpg

Notice how the trench walls have become very sharp. This is the section that I ramdomly picked before starting just to see what was under there. At the time every bucket full of dirt stuck in my bucket like glue and I found that other big rock a few inches below the surface and I was sweating bullets thinking the whole run would be like this. It must of dried up nicely because I didn't have anymore sticking problems here. Plus I was shaving the soil as others have suggested. I have run into quite a few different soil types. This one is a light tan clay (where the big rock was) and a few feet before this was a red clay with no rocks. I like the red clay the best so far.

P7160006.jpg

OldandWorn

In the background to the right of the hoe is my pole barn which was there when I bought the property. My house is a few years off in the future but the utility company let me run power to the barn. They normally want a well dug, septic permit, and the start of a house foundation before they will run power so I feel lucky. Since I had to obtain right-of-ways I thought it was best to get this part out of the way. I'm more excited about running an extension cord to my trailer than power to the barn.....generators suck!!!

P7160016.jpg

I'm leaving the trench open about a foot down for the caution tape and possible phone line. At first I thought phone service was a no go because the poles going over the RR tracks are very old and only high enough for power. The phone engineer is currently checking to see if they can get the poles replaced but she hasn't been able to give me an answer yet. I have fair cell coverage but land line phone will be my best option for internet with about 3MB DSL.

P7160017.jpg

OldandWorn

Because it has been so dry in my area I have decided to stop in the middle of the run on my property and trench in some of the normally wet areas on my neighbors land.

This pole is the start of the run and there are no buildings on the property other than a small shed. I'm very lucky that the power utility didn't remove the pole when the old house was razed years ago. I forgot to take before pics but the heavy dense vegetation came all the way over to the side of the road and I couldn't even see what the land looked like where I had to trench. Some work with a weed wacker, saw, and heavy shears cleaned the area out nicely. Lots of multiflora rose (heavy stickers) in there. I can fit the hoe in the culvert now and dig in a straight manner.

P8060008.jpg

P8060004.jpg

P8060003.jpg

Hard to tell in the pic but the bottom of the culvert is about 5' lower than the base of the pole. If I placed a standard 90 degree 36" radius sweep at the base of the pole it would come out the side of the hill and there isn't enough distance to flex the conduit down into the culvert. If I buried the sweep deeper it would be below the bottom of the pole in the ground, just too deep to be practical. I bought a 22 and 45 degree elbow and decided to make my own sweep. I'm not sure if elbow is the correct name but they are bent pieces of conduit, not the small cast joints. I got this idea after I left so I bought both angles not knowing which one will follow the terrain better.

P8060005.jpg

Last edited: