• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A tractor with musical talent

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hey RonG, I checked out that website you linked to, that's impressive. As I was going through it, I had forgot that Chet did an album with Tommy Emmanuel, "The Day Finger Pickers Took Over The World". Did you get that Hendrik...Chet did some pickin' with an incredible Aussie! :D

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Lol!
Well...I'm a Willis and my fathers family came to America from Erin in the late 1700's. Is that close enough? :D Used to have Irish red hair...until the grandkids came along. ;)

The Appalachian region was largely settled in the 1700s by the Scotch-Irish.Well the old diaspora raises it head and delightedly so ,that period of time in europe was full of upheavals from causes the would require me to break the rules if I was to mention them here and g*d forbid we should do that.
The Irish are a very musical race of people and because so many traveled and settled in the USA and OZ the music was mixed and diluted and evolved into the cocktail,but not following any one system, but selecting and using what are considered the best elements of all systems.As most emigrants were musically illiterate every thing was played by ear which allowed for subtle changes even within a local county area ,one must also bear in mind that the majority people only traveled in an 7 to 10 mile radius of home in this era.
Through out history some exceptionally talented musicians have given us hours of unadulterated pleasure ,musicians who transcend all types,genres and styles ,people who have a unrivaled natural ability and talent ,their love of their craft is total ,unabridged ,they love sharing it with the us mere mortals who use their abilities and skill as the grease of life to help smooth the passing of our toil filled days ,the angelic tones from the bits of timber and steel ,released with the talent of these Maestro's helps raise the endorphins ,at times carrying us away to our own paradisic world all be momentarily in time .
Chet Atkins does it for me as do some others and not wanting to be judgmental on other tastes I will leave it at that ,suffice to say that time eventually tells us what who is the greater of these musicians ,Don Maclean wrote and recorded a song "the day the music died " about another group of talented people that died tragically but I will say with hand on heart I never really understood that song until I heard of Chets passing that was my day the music died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHvDTUSd1Ws

Enjoy

Stock

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Don Maclean wrote and recorded a song "the day the music died " about another group of talented people that died tragically but I will say with hand on heart I never really understood that song until I heard of Chets passing that was my day the music died.

I'll raise a mug with you at that stock! :drinkup
You're an immaculate wordsmith. :notworthy

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
That was a good read Stock.There is no doubt that Chet Atkins had more influence on me in my lifetime than any other single person.Humility and technique were high on my list of personal attributes that Chet had in abundance,it goes without saying that I didn't get enough of either one.Ron G

stock

Occupation
It would appear to me that we have found a little niche that we could call a "chet" appreciation society but our illustrious moderators would hardly allow us our own little pickers society , it would look sweet in the brown banner .The hours of debate we could have as to who or what style is the better ,one must always remember the future holds many mysteries and with the millions born daily there will be someone who natural ability will surpass all who have gone before ,but as denial is as natural as red hair on an Irishman I will steadfastly hold onto my belief that Chet was unbeatable ,and to that end I will use every excuse ,claw tooth and nail to that belief .

Since my last post I have squeezed the cranium ,caused myself to smoke from both ears but these endeavors have proved fruitless and I can come up with any ,there are some good pickers there are some better pickers but at the moment Mr Atkins is the ruler of the roost .

Mark knoffler is a guitarist of great skill proven by the longevity of Dire Straits and the excellent tunes they produced , When the two teamed up on "NECK AND NECK" I was elevated to new depths of depression at my inability to make the amalgam of timber glue and steel even sound remotely like this duo .
With in the first six months I had two tapes worn out ,but what joy it is to listen to these two interact with verbal banter ,and the genuine friendship and rapport between them ,the combined musical tones and notes emitted and recorded for prosperity the legacy Chet has left us will go with me to my grave and the debt I will owe them I gladly will repay,but for now I will immerse my self in this debt .
Below is a link to these two virtuosos,playing and I have it running on the booter as I type this ,the toes are tappin and the keys are in unison.

It would be opportunistic for some other members to contribute to this thread even to try and refute my claims here,tell us if you like love or hate this music .RonG and ATCOEQUIP are kindred spirits on this so I don't feel alone on this request,come one ,You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. Come back when you're worthy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIKt_WQHia8

Stock

Last edited:

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I was listening to Mark and Chet @ secret policeman earlier and this link you sent was my next cut but I got distracted,thanks:))
I don't usually talk much about my picking,the blabbing I did a while ago was uncharacteristic of me.I don't consider myself as much of a guitarist because 90% of what I play is just an attempt at copying somebody else,there is very little original in my repertoire but most of my picking usually involves other musicians,swapping licks etc.
I need to get back to it............life is passing me by but there is so much to do,so little time......LOL.I enjoy the chat but we are a minority,it is just a matter of time and they will lock us out.Ron G

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I enjoy the chat but we are a minority,it is just a matter of time and they will lock us out.Ron G

In that case...I reckon I'll go down with yuns and keep postin'! :D
Now Ron, there ain't nothin' wrong with copying other pickers. I have been pickin' the 6 string since I was 14, and I'm much like you, learn the licks of others. Remember the famous Charles Colton quote "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". Yes, there are those that have the natural creative mind and physical ablity to "blaze new trails" of musical style and performance, with those like Chet, but most of us enjoy the simple pleasure of simply pickin one of their licks. It's not all that different than operating equipment. When we all started operating most any machine, you learn doing it the way someone else does it, whether they're teaching you or by you just watching them. In time one may develope their own little "tricks" to operating a machine...for others to imitate. Heck, when you get down to it; operating a machine and playing an instrument ain't that far different. They both require skilled use of the hands, mental focus, and memory of what works when and where. Some make music on a Martin flat top 6 string...others make music on a D8-K. I love listening to and admiring both. ;)
Additionally, I would like to personally thank Hendrik for starting this thread. I have aquired a couple of more good friends along the way. :notworthy

Last edited:

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
That's it!! Brilliant!!!!Bring the D-8 in here so that we stay on topic!!LOL
Now,I can make music with a D-8.I agree as well,it is an art perfected over years of running a dozer to know what to do and when,to make the right moves and to know when to quit for the sake of the machine and progress.:D
I thoroughly enjoy watching another good operator and it is a thrill to me to be able to work on the same jobsite and interact with a professional.You know what the other guy is thinking from his work and likewise he will change his routine to conform to your moves.
Unfortunately,in my experience anyway,most other operators consider it a challange and ruin the whole experience.
ATCOEQUIP,I spoke with a gentleman from TN on CQPhone a year or two ago who was a cousin of Chets,went to school with him and we had a fun chat.Small world.Ron G

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That's it!! Brilliant!!!!Bring the D-8 in here so that we stay on topic!!LOL
Now,I can make music with a D-8.I agree as well,it is an art perfected over years of running a dozer to know what to do and when,to make the right moves and to know when to quit for the sake of the machine and progress.:D
I thoroughly enjoy watching another good operator and it is a thrill to me to be able to work on the same jobsite and interact with a professional.You know what the other guy is thinking from his work and likewise he will change his routine to conform to your moves.
Unfortunately,in my experience anyway,most other operators consider it a challange and ruin the whole experience.
ATCOEQUIP,I spoke with a gentleman from TN on CQPhone a year or two ago who was a cousin of Chets,went to school with him and we had a fun chat.Small world.Ron G

Small world it is Ron. ;) Another aspect of a truely great operator or musician would be they are more than happy to mentor someone who is learning. I have sat in with a number of muscians who are more accomplised than me, and they loved it as much as I. I have also played alongside a few good muscians that hated to play alongside a very less talented individual than we were. I'd tell them "I'll pick with anyone and try my best to make them sound good." Now there may be those with an ego that are an exception, but I think in general, the great ones understand respect is gained in the eyes of your peers if your not trying to be above them. I've read threads here where some operators don't like to train or help others, which is ridiculous to me. I think if I treat others with respect, I will recieve the same in return. I take the time whenever an occasion arises to teach someone something I know that will help them out. Also, I told my mother about this little dialong we've had here lately and she told me of one other time she met up with Chet. Once in the late 70's, she was called by a friend who played the Hammond B-3 organ at a local high end golf country club. He asked her if she could "sit in" for him one Sunday night, she agreed. When she came in the club door on Sunday night, an old friend of hers met her at the door and said "your not providing the music tonight, there are others." He took her inside where they sat down to eat. There was a celebrity golf event there that day. She ate at a table with Waylon Jennings and Boots Randolph, and sat inbetween Perry Como and Chet. And yes, after dinner they all provided the music for the evening and she provided the tones from the Hammond B-3. I would have liked to have seen that group together. :)

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
That was indeed a privilege to be in the same company with such distinguished people.
I have one of Chets golf balls with his name on it.
I spoke to Chet only once,after seeing him perform in Hartford in the Bushnell theater back in the '60s.
It was just before I bought my Gretsch and silly me asked him about a new model that they were coming out with,the "Viking",and he very graciously replied that he had never played one.Of course,his signature guitars were the tennessean,the nashville and the country gentleman.The Viking was not among the guitars that he was promoting so,in retrospect of course he is not going to give me a straight answer.LOL.
I bought the country gentleman soon after anyway,it was my first love for many years:))
I have quite a few musician friends,many who play professionally and every single one in memory has been for our love of Chet and the only thing I had to offer was what I had learned the hard way and was willing to share with others as they came along.
It is a bond that will last forever.Ron G

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
the only thing I had to offer was what I had learned the hard way and was willing to share with others as they came along.
It is a bond that will last forever.Ron G

And thereby created your legacy. Very good! ;)

stock

Occupation
Hmmm, pickin ,music and plant. What more does one want?I wholeheartidly agree with mentoring and the couple of minutes given to mentoring a willing receptacle always pays dividends,I would be a person who does what I can to pass on the knowledge gleaned from the years of time spent at the University of life .
We are all here for a finite time and the skills, knowledge , experience which we acquire as we transit through this Vale of tears is only ours to pass it on and I consider it only a loan .If the vessel is receptive well and good but if the advice is rebuked then they have wasted a great opportunity.
As you know Eire is a long way from the place where the blue grass flourishes and as a result picker mentors are a little on the ground maybe some in more urban areas .Well that for me is too late now as too many years in too noisy equipment has taken it toll on the ole ear drums ,and now the majority of time its just a hissss.There is no better sound than Chet picken a steel string unless one was to consider the orchestral sound of diesel's humming ,transmissions whirring to the beat of the breakers with interdispurced crescendo of the rock body.Each sound provided by the skill of the operator about his daily toil ,to those who know the music of the plant orchestra and the skill of its conductors the passion of the operators who move and manipulate the scared earth ,leaving for ever their indelible mark for the betterment of others .
As great maestros leave their mark with the angelic tones that change over time with each new conductors interpetation of the sheet music ,so too is the work we do but the work maybe altered but can never be erased .
So lets all go and make some sweet sweet music .

Stock

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hmmm, pickin ,music and plant. What more does one want?I wholeheartidly agree with mentoring and the couple of minutes given to mentoring a willing receptacle always pays dividends,I would be a person who does what I can to pass on the knowledge gleaned from the years of time spent at the University of life .
We are all here for a finite time and the skills, knowledge , experience which we acquire as we transit through this Vale of tears is only ours to pass it on and I consider it only a loan .If the vessel is receptive well and good but if the advice is rebuked then they have wasted a great opportunity.
As you know Eire is a long way from the place where the blue grass flourishes and as a result picker mentors are a little on the ground maybe some in more urban areas .Well that for me is too late now as too many years in too noisy equipment has taken it toll on the ole ear drums ,and now the majority of time its just a hissss.There is no better sound than Chet picken a steel string unless one was to consider the orchestral sound of diesel's humming ,transmissions whirring to the beat of the breakers with interdispurced crescendo of the rock body.Each sound provided by the skill of the operator about his daily toil ,to those who know the music of the plant orchestra and the skill of its conductors the passion of the operators who move and manipulate the scared earth ,leaving for ever their indelible mark for the betterment of others .
As great maestros leave their mark with the angelic tones that change over time with each new conductors interpetation of the sheet music ,so too is the work we do but the work maybe altered but can never be erased .
So lets all go and make some sweet sweet music .

Stock

Well written, Stock, and well said. :notworthy

stock

Occupation
Folks I think we did this gentleman a disservice when I listened to Mr Hemmingsson on the track below the man has quite a skill it such a pity that the quality is so poor on the clips in general as I have found him playing with the trio and I must admit that the toes were tapping .Have a listen ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lddGdSFOFgA

Stock

p s Happy Bloomsday

Last edited:

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Sure hope I can play that good when I get to be his age!!!!LOLOLOL.Ron G
Great stuff!!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Folks I think we did this gentleman a disservice when I listened to Mr Hemmingsson on the track below the man has quite a skill it such a pity that the quality is so poor on the clips in general as I have found him playing with the trio and I must admit that the toes were tapping .Have a listen ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lddGdSFOFgA

Stock

p s Happy Bloomsday

Nice find stock. Hey, I said early on it was some pretty decent pickin' :D And Hendrik had it right, that tractor has musical talent! :cool2

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Great stuff Stock.That song was written by Jerry..."My baby's coming home" and is a great example of the style we love.It is rare to see Chet playing a Fender but no matter what he plays it will sound good.Ron G

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Man that was good stuff Stock, enjoyed the heck out of it. :)

Hey RonG, he may have rarely played a Fender, but I believe Chet could have thumped on a warsh tub and make it sound good. :D

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
That youtube is a treasure isn't it?I hear things that I would never have heard if not for the kind folks sharing for the world to see.I spend time there every day after my work is done.There are a lot of good pickers out there,they sure put me to shame.How about that Fretklr guy whoever he is?They never show his face but I bet we would know him if they did.Of course he sings but he is worth a listen.Ron G