• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A Standard Service

Truck Shop

A list of the items we check every service on company tractors and trailers. Please list the items you do also.
I know this may be redundant but I want to check what everyone else does.

Check all tires with a gauge, any below 80 psi is considered a flat.
Remove rubber plug from air chambers and check for broken park brake springs.
Remove plugs from steer, tag and trailer hubs {if there is one} check level and do a finger check to bottom
of hub well to check for metal.
Check all wheel seals while checking brakes/hardwear plus suspension parts and pieces while greasing
Check clutch free-play if manual non hydraulic clutch.
Check trailer ABS light at rear of trailer for operation.
Look at color of fluid in drive train while checking level.
Clear plastic surge tank has no discoloration on inside
Engine exhaust leaks
Fluid color in steering reservoir
Check landing gear
Look for any brake hoses or coolant hoses rubbing while greasing
Check fuel screen on refer, plus belts and hoses {trailer and tractor}
Check engine fan operation with key and for air leak plus check hub for bearing play.
Before greasing u-joints check for play at joint and input and output shafts
Every 30 to 40K check kingpins.
Make sure power windows operate< and check all glass.
Check fifthwheel adjustment.
Check shocks for blown seals.
Check steering components and that if equipped with fabricated steer tag axles check for cracks.
Check CAC system boots and air charger.

Your additions to the list please.

Truck Shop

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
With a few of our trucks seeing sporadic use I always take a quick look at the batteries to see if we have leaks, funky stuff growing, swollen sides etc.

Beyond that it’s the usual stuff, lights, lugnuts, chain trays, tires, brake adjustment on the older stuff, hubs yada yada. My routine is similar to yours although I’ve never put it on paper.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Only thing I would add is checking king pins every service. You already jack the front to grease anyway, right? Steer axle shackle pins bushings etc. Make sure nobody's out of place, slapping etc.

Truck Shop

On the Hendrickson fabricated axles the manufacture wants them greased setting on the ground not jacked.

We try to keep it simple

KICK THE TIRES AND LIGHT THE FIRES!!!!!!

Now crane operator is that your service or your walk around inspection? lol

Truck Shop

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
You have a B-36 in that collection of yours?

I wondered who’d catch that....I wish lol. Dad and uncles were Air Force, gramps was Army Air Corp so I’ve been around that stuff in some form a long time. It was certainly an interesting concept!

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I wondered who’d catch that....I wish lol. Dad and uncles were Air Force, gramps was Army Air Corp so I’ve been around that stuff in some form a long time. It was certainly an interesting concept!
I don't recall the name of the movie, but there's a good one featuring B-36's with Jimmy Stewart as an aircraft commander. Which I guess he was as a reserve Air Force officer.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
As I recall that was General James Steward by the time he finished.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Strategic Air Command. Dad and his twin were part of SAC 65-69.
That was it. Our local airport was an SAC base in the 50's and early 60's, they had B-50's, B36's, and later B52's. The Christmas tree still exists where the ready bombers sat and waited for the call. 7 pads and a road to a well guarded building with a jeep trail and lights every 50 feet on the perimeter. Wonder what may have been in the building...

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
The stories he tells about them scrambling the 52’s. Massive bird, shook their beds around the barracks like one of those old hockey games where the players more or less rattled around. I wonder how many flight hours they had during the Cold War as we always had a bird or two in the air. Even better with over 50 years service I wonder what the total is for the 52.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
In '82 or '83 we hosted the B-52s from Fairchild AFB while the runways were being redone. They had one taking off every 20 minutes around the clock. Yep, they shook everything for miles around.

Wes J

That's a good list and reflects what I was taught.

A few I look for:

Trailer frame cracks, most commonly in front of the front axle. Spread axle trailers are the worst, especially aluminum.

Anything with Dayton wheels check for wobbles due to sloppy install. I don't know who puts the wheels on those container chassis I see on the road all the time, but they need to be fired.

Don't forget to check the windshield washer fluid, especially in winter months.

Don't forget to grease the 5th wheel plate.

Check coolant freeze point and nitrate levels and whatever interval your coolant supplier recommends.

When you service a trailer, pull the Johny bar and listen for leaks in the service brakes. Same for the tractor, but I would assume you would hear those...

Always open the trailer and look inside if possible (van or reefer). Check condition of the floor and for any light shining through the roof. Take a walk to the front, don't just look from the ground.

Don't forget to grease inside the cab. Many trucks have a grease point in the steering column under the dash. Some older trucks had grease points in the seats.

Don't bother checking if the AC works. If it's not working right, you'll be informed...

This is not a service item, but one of the toughest things for me to learn as a kid was not to get my greasy paw prints all over everything. Your average truck driver never looks at things that matter like tires or belts or those gauges and bright lights on the dash, but they can spot a finger print on their aluminum step from across the parking lot...