• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

a qball rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
i don't know what has me more wound up today,dumb truck drivers or landscapers. they have both been a p.i.t.a. since i got in the trades 16 years ago, but today they both conspired to drive me to insanity today.
drivers, dump where i say. simple. easy. not five feet up, not over. RIGHT WHERE I POINT AND RIGHT WHEN I BEEP.end of story!
and LANDSCAPERS!it is only dirt. relax! it will buff out.
every landscaper i have ever dealt with has been a frustrated operator wanna-be, just because all you can run is a bobcat and a skip, don't hate me for having big boy equipment.
end of rant.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Another species that will drive ya crazy...carpenters that have never worked around a crane! (not to be confused with those that have).

I pulled up on a site one day in a TMS100 Grove hydro crane to set trusses. The carpenter forman walked up to me and asked (with a serious look on his face) "Is that all the boom you have?"

I knew, right then, it was going to be one of those days. :Banghead

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
speechless.lol

wormkiller

Occupation
IUOE Local 150
Ha ha! At least yer not around houses or tryin to carry grade on contract time. I bet you got a 963 because you gotta pick up the piles that were dumped in the wrong place. It'll get worse before it gets better, trust me.
:drinkup

td25c

qball,I have found that a hand shovel and wheelbarrow are great stress relievers and depending on the location they may be cosidered big boy equipment.If you run them long enough ,you will forget about the landscapers and have piece once again.Hope this helps Q.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
Ha ha! At least yer not around houses or tryin to carry grade on contract time. I bet you got a 963 because you gotta pick up the piles that were dumped in the wrong place. It'll get worse before it gets better, trust me.
:drinkup

worm, when i worked for you, i never let the drivers get to me. even when they came after me with a hammer.
these guys that i work for now have the worst, i mean absolutely worst drivers i have ever dealt with. i am getting worked up just thinking about tomorrow.:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
When I start to get irritated with truck drivers I just sit back, relax, and remember that I am currently on a payroll. Try it, you'll like it! But I hear you, sometimes truck drivers really drive me up the wall. Gig I'm on now they're all pretty good as long as you brief them in the morning as they come through the first round.

D5G

ohh boy, sounds like q had a funnn day. I see you haved doned tomorrow 'open season'...good luck, I hear they run fast!

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
ohh boy, sounds like q had a funnn day. I see you haved doned tomorrow 'open season'...good luck, I hear they run fast!

Truck drivers run? Maybe their mouths, that's about it! Okay, I'll pipe down now. :drinkup

landrvrnut22

Occupation
Field Superintendent
Just pound a stake in the ground, wrap it with ribbon, where you want them to dump. It's gauranteed they will either run over it, or bury it dead center in the pile.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
If a truck driver doesn't do what i tell him, oh well he's not comming back to my yard. There's atleast 20 more drivers out there who will do what i want when i want!

DPete

Had 35 bellydumps loading off of 2 windrows I dozed up with 2 loaders one on each windrow. They would stack up behind one of the windrows waiting to load and the other loader would be sitting there waiting. I got off the dozer to have a spirited discussion with one of the drivers about the loader sitting there waiting for a truck and he was sitting there reading a book! I say " I think it would be a good idea if you head for that other loader" guy says " OK no problem":Banghead:Banghead Da blind leading the da blind

Last edited:

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
and the office called me and asked me to try and be nicer to the nitwits.
tomorrow, i am loading, not spreading:)
payback via skybomb!

D155

Occupation
Rental Agent
Truck drivers are a herd animal. If one does it, you can damn sure bet the next one will too.

Copenhagen

and the office called me and asked me to try and be nicer to the nitwits.
tomorrow, i am loading, not spreading:)
payback via skybomb!

Jeez thats horrible! Dirt never bothered me but I had one guy skybomb me with concrete. After a spirited discussion, he was very gentle when he loaded my truck.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
A forman on a local dirt job got a call about a dump truck up the road about a mile with a problem. He got in the pickup, drove up there and found the dumper on its side. After making sure the driver was OK they both went to call a wrecker to get it turned back on its feet.

When they got back to the truck they found 12 more loads of dirt dumped behind the truck.

Herd Animal :)

Finish Blademan

Occupation
Sitework superintendent for Wolff Construction. ww
Just pound a stake in the ground, wrap it with ribbon, where you want them to dump. It's gauranteed they will either run over it, or bury it dead center in the pile.
They`ll run it over.....:Banghead
I had my surveyor on a site today working.Before he even left,4 , 3 foot offset curbstakes had been plowed and one of the hubs for elevation he set was squished and messed up.
I pulled up on site and seen him coming full bore for my truck....
He is about 5 foot 2 and I call him "smurf" because of his size.
He was fuming po`d mad when I rolled the window down....
I made one phone call and said" 125 dollars an hour minimum,tell the next one that hits one,you, his boss will be paying the bill to reset em".;)
My oh my could I tell ya truck driver stories.......
and folks wonder why I want to go have a cold beer on Friday nights after a week of importing 10,000 plus tons onto my sites....:bash:Banghead:drinkup

Status
Not open for further replies.