• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A little rotor wear

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Doing some side work for another company. They drove their FL60 Freightliner to my shop and left it- saying they thought one of the calipers was leaking. The calipers/wheels were all bone dry until I filled the empty reservoir. Took the wheels off the leaky one and this is what I found:

Attachments

• Rotor2.jpg
    Rotor2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 624

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
LoL...I was doing annual DOT inspections on a fleet of Cable TV trucks once, ran across a chevy 3500 rear rotor that was just slightly worse, there was no disk face metal left at all on one side...only fins. :D

RobVG

Occupation
It's a first for me but I usually work on airbrakes. Thought you guys might like the pic.

ScottAR

Weird... I see one of those every couple of months... Cars and light trucks though...
We made a clock out of one... We tend to keep some of the better pieces of carnage.

Got a hole as well... Used to be a piece of Detroit 60 block. Now it's a hole. Got the wristpin that did it too... :yup

Knucklehead

I had one worse than that one time. Was working for a guy that had a used car lot. He bought one from a auction that had a blown head gasket. I fixed it , and he later sold it. It sold on Friday, was in the lot on Monday morning. They said it had very poor brakes. After I about ran through the back of the shop, I pulled the front wheels to find the hubs cut OFF the rotors on BOTH front wheels. I wish i would have kept them!!

RobVG

Occupation
If you look closely at the picture, the hub was cut completely from the disk- the caliper ate right through it.

I use to keep curious old parts for souvenirs to remind me of interesting or difficult jobs but they started to clutter the shop. I did make a toilet paper holder out of a chipped aux drive gear from a C-15 Cat.:)

ScottAR

I can't believe I forgot about the caliper piston! GMC G3500 motorhome. The brake hose
collapsed and they drove it in that way. The piston/brake pad got so hot they friction
welded to each other. The core caliper I sent back had the other brake pad welded to it.

I'm amazed the truck didn't burn up...

RobVG

Occupation
:beatsme" No it wasn't making any noise"

Just one last bit to add.

Got the new parts and matched them up to the old ones. The rotor that was destroyed had a hub with an O.D. 1/2" larger than it should have been. It had been replaced. It's likely this was the cause of the problem:rolleyes:. I don't know how they got the caliper on....

"Hey Earl! Grab the BIG hammer!..."

engineman56

Occupation
repair/maintenance/welder
Yes I've seen that on F-350's & C-30 Chevys. The drivers said the brakes need checked and I pulled the wheels and found that same thing. Driver said it never made a noise. I couldn't believe it. Kevin

JDOFMEMI

Of course it was not making any noise that they could hear over the racket of the stereo.

engineman56

Occupation
repair/maintenance/welder
JDOFMEMI, I think that you are 100 percent right. How could a person not know it? Kevin

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I don't know but I have seen the same thing too.....

thejdman04

Ive seen all too many like that, scary to think most of the trucks I have seen them on were driven in and had current safety stickers.