• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Really cool pictures CM! Is that your truck in the background of the first picture?

Thanks Sawdus22, yeah that's my 350 in the ditch picture. Also in the picture with the roll-back in the septic tank.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
A few pictures of the finished ditch.

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

Spec's called for covered the slope with #2 stone, 6" deep. It was a fairly steep slope.

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
This was some 18" RCP we laid on the project about a year ago. This is how I like to backfill deeper storm pipe. Lay your trench back wide enough as you go to get the roller in the ditch once you get above the pipe. This doubles as a safety factor for the pipe laying and allows for nice wide cohesive fill lifts above the pipe.

This is not a text book safety trench but it was safe. This ditch was all the 420 wanted to dig but it's what we had to do it with.

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

Once backfilling starts, I put the D5 or the 953 in the ditch to spread backfill material. We used the D5 as the 953 was at a pit.

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Ya right.... guys his age aren't computer wizards....

Ya' got me, that's my grandpa.:)

I learned a lot from that tough old goat, he's so ornery that in his last working days as a carpenter he framed a 4000 SF house by himself down at the beach because he couldn't keep or want any help. My cousin was the only one who worked on it. Love my Grandpa to death.

I have fond memories of working along side him, either in the shop fixing various things or burning stuff. Did I mention he was a fire bug and I learned everything I know about burning stuff from him.:D

I guess I was 10 years old or so and he had loggers come in and cut the pines on his acreage across the dirt road from his house, probably 40 acres or so. There was a big slash pile from where they skidded the trees to the landing area and topped them. The slash pile had been sitting for a few months to let it age, like wine a good burn pile needs to age a bit.;)

Obviously this pile needed to be disposed of and "we" had a plan. Looking back my Grandpa probably enjoyed the time we spent burning that pile more than I did, we spent an entire weekend from early Sat. morning until late Sun. night, burning that pile. He had a Ford 3000 tractor with a box blade that he would push the unburnt ends back to the center.

I went home both days smelling of wood smoke and covered with ashes. I wouldn't trade that for anything.;)

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
This was a nice little demo for an expansion at a quick oil change facility. The building was originally a self service car wash that they converted to a training office. The new expansion plans required this building to be removed so they could expand the 2 other existing buildings and have a drive-thru lane around the right side of the property.

Rented a 312 from the Rental Store, it was a tad small for this project but did the job. This was before I got the 321. Tackled it from the front, removing the wood trusses and keeping the debris within the CMU walls, as the facility was still operating. Once we cleaned up the wood, drywall and other debris, we collapsed the CMU walls and hauled the slab out. These were the only pictures I took unfortunately.

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

The metal pile can be seen in this picture. We got a full 30 yard can of metal off this one. I try to recycle as much as possible as it's extra money and one less can you have to pay for to go the landfill. The CMU and concrete was used as beneficial fill at a site my friend is filling.

IMG_1241.jpg

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The work we take on is varied, you have to be flexible in this economy and not say no just because you don't want to do it. This was one of those times. I didn't want to do the trench grate but I had to include it in my scope of work as part of the job.

The engineer spec'd a cast in place concrete trench with Neenah grates on top. This would have been a very labor intensive project the way it was designed. My pipe supplier suggested an alternate and we got it approved through the engineer of record.

It's a prefab'd trench grate where you dig your ditch, set the finish elevation and hang the prefab units from the form work. It went together pretty slick and I saved money on the labor end, not the material end but we were able to compete it quicker so it was a win.

The 2x4's that span the trench are bolted into the holes that hold the grates down. The grates are stacked not the pallet in the upper right hand of the pic.

IMG_1246.jpg

If I do this again, I'll forgo the plywood forms and make a "L" bracket out of 2x6's or 2x8's to hang the forms on and let the trench cast the sides.

IMG_1247.jpg

Poured out, I am not a concrete finisher.:cool: We wrapped the prefab units with plastic and painters tape to keep the concrete off the grate rails.

IMG_1253.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Always check your shop drawings.:cool2

This was a control structure and inlet combo. The above trench drain and a storm tech detention system dumped into this structure in addition to it being a curb inlet. This structure had to be specially pre-cast and I didn't pay close attention to the shop drawings. Once we had the structure set at the correct invert elevations, I realized the walls were not tall enough to accept the curb flow line. Luckily it was only 10" so we dowelled #4 rebar into the walls and poured the extension when we poured the trench drain.

IMG_1254.jpg

AlldayRJ

Nice job on the concrete, cant overbuild those things! Once the forms go wacky its too late since the trucks dumping and its there forever

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
A recent demo job we did. This was for a dollar store project where we demo'd 3 buildings totaling 27,000 SF over 2 acres.

The last end cap on the strip shopping center.

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

Peeling the aluminum roof off, destined for the scrap yard.:D

IMG_0107.jpg

Going for more metal, those old gas furnaces have some weight.;)

IMG_0109.jpg

GC was on a tight budget, had to keep the toilet in tact until the porto-let showed up.:tong

IMG_0110.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The final stages of cleanup on the strip shopping center. If it's a slab on grade I like to leave the slab intact until all the C&D is hauled out then demo the slab, stem walls and footings. The concrete and CMU debris goes to an inert fill site, which is much cheaper than a landfill.

IMG_0120.jpg

A shot of the equipment line up. Didn't use the D5 that much since it was a demo job, just mobilized it to the site for the dirt work portion. The 321 and T250 handled the majority of the demo.

IMG_0119.jpg

One 40 yard of C&D and a couple of loads of inert left to haul out.

IMG_0121.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Nice job!

Thanks ddigger!

I have some pics on my iPad from the other building that was on site, for some reason they haven't transferred to my mac through the cloud but others have.:confused:

Fastdirt

Nice demo job CM, looks like you are getting the frequent rains too. Are you going to get the grading too? I'm sure you had some scrappers lurking around as you were doing the demo.