• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

Fastdirt

Man, you guys are quite smart with those fabricated ditching buckets/blades. Seems like a great idea.

CM, you have a near perfect fleet you've listed. I see your wisdom has taught you to hire out the hauling. LOL.

JDOFMEMI

Man, you guys are quite smart with those fabricated ditching buckets/blades. Seems like a great idea.

CM, you have a near perfect fleet you've listed. I see your wisdom has taught you to hire out the hauling. LOL.

Thanks for the kind words.

I build a lot of custom items for jobs. Mine are not as shiny and clean as yours, but they get the job done. I have enough attachments for my skid to fill a trailer. High capacity buckets, V buckets, root grubber, demo grapple, brush grapple, forks, winch, land plane, auger, and a few more to come soon. The one you will likely never find me with is those phony dozer blades.

CM, you have an ideal small fleet. I hope 2014 treats you well.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

I had two dumps at one time and although they were handy, I was happy to sell them. Right now it just makes sense to pay only when you use them.

Did you sell off the roll off company? Great pics and story.

Yes sold that company to a regional waste hauler back in '11.

CM, you have an ideal small fleet. I hope 2014 treats you well.

Thanks Jerry, same to you.

I want to grow and add additional crews but the work load is just not there yet.

Fastdirt

The one you will likely never find me with is those phony dozer blades.

Oh no, I'm getting one. I just can't resist. I have definitely heard some negativity about a skid steer with a dozer blade. I've found an 8' grouser 1300 I'm interested in. I would love to do some fabricating on it. I have an idea for a multi shank ripper that folds down and then flips up as a guard. I'm sure it will work but it might be too expensive of a fabricating job to justify.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Fastdirt I would take Jerry's advice and not waste your money on a skid steer dozer blade. The only one I know of in my area has collected more rust than wear sitting in my buddies barn because it sucks, for lack of a better term.:cool2

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Oh no, I'm getting one. I just can't resist. I have definitely heard some negativity about a skid steer with a dozer blade. I've found an 8' grouser 1300 I'm interested in. I would love to do some fabricating on it. I have an idea for a multi shank ripper that folds down and then flips up as a guard. I'm sure it will work but it might be too expensive of a fabricating job to justify.

The Grouser 1300 is made out of cast iron,so fab anything too it will be a chore in it's self.I have one ,which for what i do is works good(backfill trenches and lots of it).The blade has skids that are adjustable,which helps.The cast blade doesn't scarer very good at all.The early Grouser blades were steel,which worked better when polished.

I also have a Cat blade that is all steel and works better as for actually dozing.

I also have a box blade that has the ripper teeth on it and was 3-point hitch that i had a skid loader plate made for the back of it and left the 3-point in front like it was so if i wanted to use it on a tractor i could,Made a laser plate pole on the 3-point hitch .Can remove it and the skidloader plate off the back.Bolted not welded.

Sorry no pictures camera went on the blink,neew to get new one,just haven't did it yet.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Pic of dozer blade

Most of my use is for backfulling behind my trencher.

Attachments

• Buckeye%207200%20038.jpg
    Buckeye%207200%20038.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,153
  • Tiling%20Job%20001.jpg
    Tiling%20Job%20001.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,196

390eric

Can I ask why the dozer blades suck on a ctl? Never ran one before. They look real handy for doing backfill work and small area clean up. I wouldnt expect them to be able to do a lot of cutting with them. Just look like the would be nice for final grading around a house and small clean up jobs.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
It's just my opinion but one can do pretty much everything that this dozer blade does with a normal tooth bucket. Of course there are situations where they work well like Constructo posted but for general excavation work a CTL normally does, a bucket will do the same and more plus no need in hauling around another attachment or the cost to purchase it.

The blades aren't built like a real 6 way dozer blade found on D3,4,5's and they can't be as the attachment point is limited to the quick tach. Specialized attachments are fine but the hassle of having another attachment to maintain for the limited benefit it gives you over a bucket is not worth it in my opinion.

390eric

I was thinking after my post that its probably no better than a bucket. I understand about the blade not being a true six way blade, makes sense.

I liked to try one of those planer attachments, have never seen one before. Just was reading about them in a magazine not too long ago.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Most of the asphalt co's in my area have a planer attachment in their fleet. From the little I have been around while they are working, they look to be very handy in tight spots around manholes and tying to existing paving in turn lanes and other smaller areas.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
This was a rather large (for me anyway) rip-rap ditch project. It was appox. 1500' long and took about 4,000 tons of rip-rap. I started the RPO on the 321 on this project. It turned out nice.

Prepping the first part of the ditch. The 321 was the perfect machine having to work next to the light poles. Also the ditch narrowed towards the end and the sides were much steeper.

IMG_1416.jpg

Dumping a load of rip-rap. The trailers averaged 30 tons each and we hauled 12 loads a day with 2 trucks.

IMG_1427.jpg

Did I mention I fought water the whole time.:rolleyes:

IMG_1435.jpg

The crappy part was dragging the fabric and placing it in the water/mud. I had plenty of time between loads to prep and fabric the next section of ditch. I did this job by myself as my other guy was bush hogging with the T250.

IMG_1446.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Here's a little demo job and clean-up. Nothing much on the demo, it was an old house that had basically fallen in. The real story is the two LTD's and the boat that were in the shed.:naughty

I have mentioned "cooter" before in another thread and I shall protect his real name to protect the "innocent".:cool:

Everyone needs to know one of these types as they can be of use in the right situation, like having to get rid of old/junk cars from a site and no way to get a title.:cool2

LTD #1

IMG_1318.jpg

LTD #2

IMG_1319.jpg

The boat.

IMG_1320.jpg

Hooking up LTD #1. I smashed it with the T250 and grapple, also had to rip the gas tank out.

IMG_1321.jpg

Stay to the right when you leave, there is an old septic tank to the left but there is plenty of room to go around it. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_1322.jpg
    IMG_1322.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,127

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well right there is one big advantage to living in the salt infested north. You could never find a car that old that was still in one piece! Just small lumps of rust with some odds and ends of cast iron.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Lets see the 250. That machines a beast! Did you lift the flatbed out?

I'll dig up some pics of the T250. Yeah it was a combined effort of the wheel lift on the roll back, throwing bricks and blocks into the old septic tank and the 250 to get him out, although I don't have any pictures of that operation as my "cooter" tolerance had been maxed out at that point.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Well right there is one big advantage to living in the salt infested north. You could never find a car that old that was still in one piece! Just small lumps of rust with some odds and ends of cast iron.

These two cars were under an old shed, pretty well preserved other than years of humidity and rats making it a condo. The boat faired well being fiberglass and out in the elements for Lord knows how long. I'll admit it was a shame to send them to be made into cast iron pipe but there was little value in them other than scrap.