• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The Perkins engine plant is near me, and a guy I know who does similar contracting to CM got on their list of preferred contractors. One condition was he had to use Cat equipment, and if Cat didn’t make it, it had to have a Perkins engine. Another outfit turned up with a Komatsu 210 with a tree shear, it got turned back at the gate. JCB have a similar policy. They had a fire at the Rochester factory and at the time the only demo shear in the UK high enough to do the job was mounted on a Cat high-reach. It was only allowed on site after every Cat logo was taped over, which only drew attention to the job.

I understand it - a brand is a brand and it's just business.

However when it comes to SEC rivalries I would never let even one University of Alabama sticker on ANY of our trucks, equipment, tools, coolers, etc, etc...:D

That'd be a fireable offense.:p

Last edited:

Landclearer

Looking forward to seeing the lift station and how you guys do it. We did one a few years ago but we didn’t have rock we had water and had to WellPoint it. We had to fill it with water then pour concrete around it to keep it from floating. It’s still there and working as it should.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
LC this one will not only be in solid rock but also a flood plain - best of both worlds... It requires a flood plain lid with raised vents and a concrete ant-float collar around the bottom.

All we will do is set the basin and plumb the outflow. The school is using their pump service company to move the existing pumps and controls over. I wanted nothing to do with moving used pumps and panels then be responsible for it all running.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
It's been a while since I've updated the the thread.

Travel plaza project we are doing the building and canopy drains on in addition to other misc items. Owner contracted site work directly.

Main trunk line on the diesel canopy. The big Cat's in the background are the owners site work contractors iron.

IMG_2156.jpeg

Owner supplied oil water separator we installed. Concrete sand backfill and cast on site dead men for hold downs.

IMG_1493.jpeg

Along the way we also won the state Cattlemen's Association ribeye steak sandwich competition. Next year we host the competition in our county. Looking forward to it.

IMG_0229.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The arena project we started back in March 2020 is wrapping up and it's quite impressive. Hard to believe we moved that much earth and demo'd that much concrete in this spot.

IMG_2220.jpeg

Back in April 2020

IMG_0555.jpeg

View of the new entrance.

IMG_2227.jpeg

Outside view of new entrance.

IMG_2223.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Started a demo project at a local private school. Demolishing the existing dining hall and building a new larger dining facility.

IMG_0071 (1).jpeg

A little stick time on our 321DL with over 7K hours still earning. I don't get to operate often so it was nice to tear some **** up.

IMG_2184.jpeg

321DL and 325FL parked up at the end of a dusty day.

IMG_6414 (1).jpeg

Fueling up at the end of a long day. Just thought this was a neat pic due to the perspective.

IMG_6421.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Can relate, was just driving the haul off truck for concrete and brick materials from the foundation of a structure north of Case MO, was one of Jimmie Hoffa's old playgrounds, he owned close to 500 acres along Hwy B between Pendleton and Case MO in Warren County, his Daughter and SIL the Crancer's owned it after the seven year death call of JH, where they kept it for some time until sold it off to seven investors, last one to buy the remaining investors out is the Owner of Lux Row Distilling of KY. He has bought up nearly all of the old JH Estate and some of the Southern Comfort owned property adjoining his. On a Plot Map showing ownership, several properties are noted as US GOV'T, the homes there used by FBI to watch the Hoffa and other Teamster Boss owned playground properties in the same area.

Metalman 55

As always........nice looking work there CM1995!

Is that a newish silver powerstoke I see in the background in a couple of pics? 250 or 350?

Separator tanks........are they steel?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Kinda of weird as to Hoffa's place, most of the structures were Modular(IE Double Wides) yet they put in foundation work as these photos to support them. The stairs are not footer wall construct but monolithic blocks of unreinforced concrete. And NO, there were no bones in them as the guy on the ex busted them into smaller chunks.. Last photo is the entry that was rebuilt to what it looked like years ago as had decayed intensely. Slabs were all 4-6" pours, no mesh, some rerod here and there, for some reason trenches ender the slabs were not soil refilled and compacted but flowed in with concrete to depths up to 2 feet.

IMG_9719.JPG IMG_9720.JPG IMG_9721.JPG

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
As always........nice looking work there CM1995!

Is that a newish silver powerstoke I see in the background in a couple of pics? 250 or 350?

Separator tanks........are they steel?

Thanks MT. That's my truck it's '18 F350 CC LWB 6.7 with around 65K on the clock. Have a 2022 F350 on order if it ever gets built. I can get almost what I paid for the '18 new so it makes sense to trade up.

The oil/water separator is metal with all sorts of internal baffles with a rattle can aluminized coating. Inlet and outlet is 4". All this tank is catching is the trench drain down stream of the diesel island. The trench drain will catch any spills or rain water wash across the fuel islands. The discharge goes into the detention pond and then leaves the site.

Never set one before but it's just construction and they had directions.:D

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Kinda of weird as to Hoffa's place, most of the structures were Modular(IE Double Wides) yet they put in foundation work as these photos to support them. The stairs are not footer wall construct but monolithic blocks of unreinforced concrete. And NO, there were no bones in them as the guy on the ex busted them into smaller chunks.. Last photo is the entry that was rebuilt to what it looked like years ago as had decayed intensely. Slabs were all 4-6" pours, no mesh, some rerod here and there, for some reason trenches ender the slabs were not soil refilled and compacted but flowed in with concrete to depths up to 2 feet.

View attachment 248267 View attachment 248268 View attachment 248269

DM did the double wides have a full basement? Looks like it in the first pic. You can tell when concrete was cheap while demo'ing a structure because they used a lot of it.

Though out the years of demo projects we've ran across all sorts of strange construction. There was a project up thread where demo'd a lawyers office that had several different floors - carpet on concrete, terrazzo under the concrete, red quarry tile under the terrazzo on concrete then dirt and finally asphalt.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Not full basement, full dimension footer then the sub structure wall for a garage and covered patio. In the 70's when he owned this concrete was less than $20/yard. for 6-7 sack mix. Structure had screw in Utility pole style anchors with 5/8" cable tied to them and to under frames, 3/8" link chains and turnbuckles for final attachments.

Caretaker of last 55 years stated all of the 'Cabins' were that way, and they had some Serious Parties out here, spent thousands just on booze delivered by trucks from Chicago. He started as a groundsman mowing and trimming trees at first moving up to full caretaker, was given a house to live in and had been paid better than anyone else in the county to just be there to watch the place.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
So we finally dipped our toe into the crushing world.

Rented a SMI Compact 50TJ from our Cat dealer.

65746962055__39B47551-04CE-48E1-8F16-DB0D340EEBE0 (1).jpeg

The 50TJ is small coming in around 26K lbs so it doesn't have a finger screen deck or fines conveyor. The solid deck does vibrate and is adjustable on how much it vibrates/feeds the jaw.

IMG_2207 (1).jpeg

The jaw can take 18x28 sized material per the brochure but we found 12x12 pieces worked better.

IMG_2204.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Video of the first round of crushing brick and concrete.

This video was taken 2 days later when we had enough concrete, block and brick to run the crusher for 6 hours.

We crushed around 250 tons judging the crush piles in 6 hours so not bad but not the 50 tons per hour SMI states but it was our first go around. So far the little machine works well for it's size.

The crushing layout. 325FL loading from a somewhat raised stance but needed to be higher to be able to see how the deck was feeding the jaw. We had a couple of clogs on top of the jaw from brick and concrete chunks going in just right to create a jam at the top which required manual extraction.

279D 02 moved the crushed material to a stockpile by the site fence and carried what metal the magnet threw out.

IMG_2243.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
What was the maximum size you were producing with that little rig? Looks like about a 3" down product?

MM the little jaw is set the lowest it'll go in the video and it makes a 3" minus with block, brick and concrete. The "brick" on the facade of the building was concrete brick so it crushed a little better than the clay brick. The clay brick created bigger pieces.

All in all it's not a bad mix for general backfill material.

The faculty at the school are very impressed we brought forth a recycling plan to re-use the material on site and cut down on truck traffic on campus. Win-Win.