• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I'd love to have that L9000 bed on mine, I have the slanted gate and it is less handy to dig out of.
One time I dug for the plumbers on a Cat shop, and had to tape over the John Deere on the boom and back of the excavator LOL!

I don't know the brand as the ID plate has long been gone. We refab'd the top ears on the tailgate hinge but other than that it's just been used. The floor has a layer welded over the original layer but it works.

skyking1

I've done that, plated the bottom of a truck bed. Ours is getting hammered bad, I may do that or some little scab patches and blacksmithing. The straight gate problem I could address with a plug on each side and extend the bed hinge plates back. That would solve the "too short " problem somewhat, as I get sand/gravel on the gate every time from the larger loaders.

hosspuller

I'd love to have that L9000 bed on mine, I have the slanted gate and it is less handy to dig out of.
One time I dug for the plumbers on a Cat shop, and had to tape over the John Deere on the boom and back of the excavator LOL!
CAT built an axle plant in the area. Dirt Contractor had to use CAT equipment. No other brand allowed on site if CAT had a similar unit.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I like to purposely bring other brands to dealers/proving grounds/whatever for my own enjoyment.

Want the logo taped over? Better supply the tape and tape application minion cause that's an extra service not on the invoice lol.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've worked for five different dealers over my career and never heard or saw anything about the type of equipment a contractor used on a build project. The jobs were bid. Low bidder won despite the make of equipment they used. Money talks!

skyking1

It was the new (2008?) Cat shop up in Monroe and my boss said do it.
That was also the nastiest clay I've been on in a long time. The building is on grade beams that I tunneled under, and used 2x6s to keep from getting hung up in the top bar sticking out of the grade beams.
We spent half a day cleaning up the excavator to haul it away.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I was working for them in that time frame. I have a feeling that some snoot probably stuck their nose in maybe. In that time frame we had plenty of contractors working in Tukwila on the yards in the back that used all manner of iron to get the job done. I'm pretty sure the corporate people wouldn't have cared unless some mucky muck from Caterpillar came around. All the corporate people cared about is money and who gets credit for something for the owner to hear about.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Back at the arena upgrading the existing 4" domestic water service to a 6" from the meter to 5' outside the building where the plumbing contractor will take it into the building and tie into the new distribution system.

18" header curb we had to go under. I see no reason here in the south to spec a curb that is that deep. 6" CL350 pipe, the vault on the left is for the sprinkler system.

IMG_1891 (2).jpeg

This line ended 5' outside the building so we had to pour a dead man to rod the test cap. SS all thread bents to anchor back to the cap. Used the same on-site concrete company we used last year to pour the connection on the box culvert at this same arena. Used the same design mix.

IMG_1899.jpeg

Deadman poured, pipe bedded with stone and detector tape installed. I have no explanation why they constructed a 6" wide and 2.5' deep header curb at the edge of the sidewalk - 70's engineering..

IMG_1902 (1).jpeg

100 PSI street pressure overnight without a drop.

IMG_1917 (1).jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
New project at a local private school.

2- 5" primary power conduits from a riser pole to a new transclosure for the electricians on the job. Pretty simple and decent money when you have a good crew.

IMG_1918.jpeg

Conduits installed, inspected by APCO and being backfilled.

First time using recycled concrete for backfill material. This RC came from a local quarry we use regularly. This material was $13.50 a ton delivered compared to $18.00 a ton for 825B or dense grade base.

IMG_1922.jpeg

This RC had to be plant washout as it had no wire or other debris in it. Perfect gradation for trench backfill.

IMG_1927.jpeg

305 has been earning its keep. When we wrap the first phase of this project up it will go back to the Cat House to get a manual QC and hydraulic thumb fitted. Also getting an 18" bucket for smaller trenches.

IMG_1924.jpeg

Aarons81

Jealous of that 35 right now, been trying to buy one for a month and cant find the right deal. Got quoted 53k for a 2k hr tak with a thumb.....☹. Good looking workmanship as always!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Jealous of that 35 right now, been trying to buy one for a month and cant find the right deal. Got quoted 53k for a 2k hr tak with a thumb.....☹. Good looking workmanship as always!

Thanks A81!

1100 hrs on the clock when we bought it, out the door price of $53K with a new manual QC, new hydro thumb, used 24" bucket and new 18" bucket with new bushings in the stick. Not a great deal but a good one. We have to use it for 1 week a month to pay for it in 4 years comparing it to rental rates. So far we've used it 3 weeks since we bought it on paying jobs with 2 weeks to go on the current job so it can sit at the yard for a month or two or three.

I got tired of renting.;)

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Me too, I'm looking for a mini too right now even though dirt isn't my main thing we do enough with our pipe work it's not uncommon to rent a month or two at a time sometimes more and it's gotten annoying. Of course the market sucks right now and I'm also picky about used stuff since I'm ultimately the one the has to get elbow deep in it when it fucks up.

oarwhat

It is the machine us northern idiots use to test the strength of our curbs. The windshield in a 544j can tell you that the curbs are pretty strong.

Did it in an old 966A with a slanted back windshield. Leaned forward to see If I cleared the curb hit the throttle and WHAM. Saw stars for a couple minutes.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Did it in an old 966A with a slanted back windshield. Leaned forward to see If I cleared the curb hit the throttle and WHAM. Saw stars for a couple minutes.

I did similar with an 853 Bobcat with a smooth bucket cleaning up a residential street. Just the binder was down on the road so the 1.5" wear course had not been laid yet. I found that manhole cover sticking up wide open with that smooth bucket. Saw stars just like Wiley Coyote did in the cartoons.:D

Don.S

I broke the steering column in a deere tractor when i caught a blower on a sewer that heaved up. Chest was sore fir a long time. My friend smashed the windshield out with his face on the 544. Have broken cutting edges on heaved up sewers. Its when it heats up then re freezes thats its really bad. Things you have gone over all winter are now sticking out of the ground a bit and covered in a layer of snow so you cant see them. My body hurts thinking about it.