• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

980g service codes

precision dirt

Occupation
machinist, fabricator and owner of precision dirt
CAT 980G loader serial # 9CM00025 that is flashing a transmission light on dash and giving me service codes of

Machine fluids are full and operates and functions as it should I just have the transmission alarm. I changed and inspected transmission filter just to be safe but suspect I could have a bad sensor on filter housing or connection problem since alarm started after the machine had been parked for a rainy week.

Can anyone help with the codes just so I have another starting point.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Does the SERV CODE icon stay lit up after the panel has completed the self-test.? If yes then you need to find out which of that list of Codes is Active. If you don't have a Click Box use the work-around shown in Posts 50/51 on Page 3 of this thread to get the Monitor into Service Mode (Mode 3).

precision dirt

Occupation
Good information Nige. Thanks.

Code 177.08 is active and the rest are logged codes. I have also been informed that codes that have SERV CODE lit while displaying code are active, if SERV CODE is not lit it’s a logged code. Any truth to this?

Nige

I have also been informed that codes that have SERV CODE lit while displaying code are active, if SERV CODE is not lit it’s a logged code. Any truth to this?
That is correct.

I’ll take a look for a troubleshooting procedure for the 177.08.
EDIT: 177.08 is a signal voltage issue to the transmission temp sensor. See attached.

Attachments

• MID030 CID0177 FMI08.pdf
    436.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

precision dirt

Occupation
That is correct.

I’ll take a look for a troubleshooting procedure for the 177.08.
EDIT: 177.08 is a signal voltage issue to the transmission temp sensor. See attached.
Thanks Nige. I have checked wiring and connections with no luck so decided to replace sensor. Cat sent me a three wire part # 131-0427 sensor when machine has a 2 wire. Is there another sender I’m missing somewhere?

Attachments

• 5465CE82-80E8-4F03-86AB-8982E2149D5A.jpeg
    5465CE82-80E8-4F03-86AB-8982E2149D5A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Nige

Did you follow the procedure posted above step by step.? Done correctly it should have indicated where the problem lies.
Cat sent me a three wire part # 131-0427 sensor when machine has a 2 wire.
The transmission temperature sensor on your machine is definitely 3-wire.
What are the numbers and colours on the machine side of the 2-wire component you found - 417 Grey & 201 Black.? If they are you're likely on the secondary steering pressure switch, so whatever tests you did would not have been any use. Is there a 3E-6450 Part Number somewhere on the body.?

Below is the location of the transmission temp sensor. I suggest that you find it and repeat the tests I linked above. My suspicion based on a 177-8 Diagnostic Code is that you are going to find a wiring fault rather than a sensor problem..

1682960943195.png

Last edited:

precision dirt

Occupation
Thanks for all your help Nige. Sorry I haven’t replied sooner. I found sensor in location you provided. I was looking in another location due to some bad info from an ex cat service guy. Found pigtail coming out of sensor with wire coating coming apart. Wires were bare all the way down into sensor so had to replace anyway. Once again thanks for your good information.

Attachments

• 1535AC54-68B0-4C0B-AC91-760121B79E74.jpeg
    1535AC54-68B0-4C0B-AC91-760121B79E74.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2

hunterdog967

Occupation
Heavy equipment mechanic
Does the SERV CODE icon stay lit up after the panel has completed the self-test.? If yes then you need to find out which of that list of Codes is Active. If you don't have a Click Box use the work-around shown in Posts 50/51 on Page 3 of this thread to get the Monitor into Service Mode (Mode 3).
Don't have a click box and don't understand work around in post 50/51 on page 3 . Can you post information.

Nige

Don't have a click box and don't understand work around in post 50/51 on page 3 . Can you post information.
All the information that you need is in posts 50-52. I don't see how much more clearly I can explain it.

As suggested in the first line of Post #50, did you read the whole thread starting from Page 1 and especially Post #16, and maybe Post #17 as well, on Page 1 where the theory of how a Click Box works is explained.? That post is probably key to understanding how it works.

In its simplest form all you are attempting to do is to briefly connect one, the other, or in some cases both, of two wires (290 & 291) from the CMS Panel to machine frame ground.