• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

977l right pedal doesn't hold in reverse

James Phelps

Greener than a algae covered frog. My Cat 977l is getting to where it is difficult to keep the right track stopped when backing up. Is this a steering clutch or a brake issue. I checked the linkage and is adjusted as short as possible. Does that mean I need brake work? Thanks.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I would start by checking under the covers as to brake lining, clutch linings and any play in bearings. Gonna have to open it up to see, cannot just say it is until get eyes on the components.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Brakes should be Inside the housing, wet brakes wet clutches. That a closeup of the Drive Sprocket?? You need a service manual to get you pointed the right direction, guessing won't get you far.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
On the back of the machine below the fuel tank you should see two triangle shaped covers. There should be 3 bolts that hold down each cover. Take the covers off and you should basically see the head of a 3/8 bolt. Tighten that bolt up tight and then back it off 9 'clicks' on each side. (when you back it off you will be able to feel the clicks). That's how I was told to adjust the brakes on the 977L that I had. Hopefully yours is the same.

James Phelps

Thanks for your help. I have a manual but it was showing how to adjust a 11k serial number and mine is a 14k. I will try to find the band adjuster tomorrow..

James Phelps

I found the triangle cover. I had to take off a side cover to get to it. It was up under the fuel tank. It adjusted up. Thanks for the guidance.