• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

973d

dumpchuck

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
Aparently they are not producing the D series yet. We ordered a new 73 back around the end of november and were told it wold be a C model. Machine was supposed to have come in at the end of February- first of March, Now they are saying May. Probably won't see it till june or july the way it usually goes. I do really like the looks of the D model though.

granitefan713

Occupation
Design Technician
Hi Guys,

I figured I'd post this pic becasue I thought it looked cool.

Cat 973D vs. Ford F250....who will win?:tong

Attachments

• 100_4942.jpg
    100_4942.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 2,348
Last edited:

3thirteen

Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
We had a "D" in our shop not too long ago for a PDI. I think it was a 963 though. Either way, it was the first that I had seen. It is nice that the have the cab hinged again like the old ones, servicing looks a lot more convenient.

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
Mmmmm the things I would do to that 973, most of them not suitable for this forum.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Do I even want to know what perversions you're referring to? ***

But seriously -- something wrong with the 973D, too? Or just the bad batch of 973Cs still plaguing you...

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Do I even want to know what perversions you're referring to? :tong

But seriously -- something wrong with the 973D, too? Or just the bad batch of 973Cs still plaguing you...

Burnout

Occupation
I haven't heard much about the Ds, but the C's have had issues. I dont wanna say too much but there could be a C in my future.

BritOperator

Occupation
Operator
The D's are certainly a nice looking range of shovels. Never run a 973 but wouldn't mind having a play (ot in that way Burnout lol). 953 is biggest I have run, still got a big place in my heart for my little 943 I had, great little tool, able to do so much with it.

BritOperator

Occupation
Operator
I like both as long as it on a Cat track shovel. :notworthy
The V direction control is easy to use but you still have to steer with your feet which can give ya leg ache if your towing a roller or similar.
With the joystick direction and steering are in one stick but I find the direction control not as precise as the V direction control but you don't get any leg ache.;)

Burnout

Occupation
I like both as long as it on a Cat track shovel. :notworthy
The V direction control is easy to use but you still have to steer with your feet which can give ya leg ache if your towing a roller or similar.
With the joystick direction and steering are in one stick but I find the direction control not as precise as the V direction control but you don't get any leg ache.;)

If Cat made that joystick a little more comfortable.... joystick steering would be the way to go. But I find that my wrist cramps up with the joystick steering. The pedals are pretty sexy on the C series machines. They are so easy to push down you don't mind having your feet attached to them 13hrs a day.

If you go from a B series to a C series in the cat track loader line you will notice a huge difference in pressures and feel to the machine. There is almost no effort to the V lever or pedals in our 73C's, meanwhile the 73A's whether they be a 80's, 90's or the 01' model we have..... pedals are stiff and the hydrostat lever can wreck the palm of your hand.

The only problem with the V lever with the C series is that they roll when you stop. Unless you go into the actual park position and that can be violent in itself, they will roll for a few seconds. I came close to a few manholes when I jumped from the '96 973A to the '06 973C.

d7r

We are ordering a new 963d crawler loader to replace a wheel loader on our water and sewer backfill crew. We need to decide a few things before ordering. Do we go with single lever steer(it seems like everything is going to joystick levers these days)maybe they will do away with vsteer?? Is single lever bucket control better?Is a ripper an asset on water and sewer or just a hiderince?If we dont put a ripper on do we add a counterweight kit?I think the undercarrige is system1. Need some advice.Thks

Burnout

Occupation
We are ordering a new 963d crawler loader to replace a wheel loader on our water and sewer backfill crew. We need to decide a few things before ordering. Do we go with single lever steer(it seems like everything is going to joystick levers these days)maybe they will do away with vsteer?? Is single lever bucket control better?Is a ripper an asset on water and sewer or just a hiderince?If we dont put a ripper on do we add a counterweight kit?I think the undercarrige is system1. Need some advice.Thks

Rippers are worthless on track loaders, you don't have the power to drag it through the ground any deeper than the teeth could go. And it just adds length for backing into things. The counterweight kit will definately be needed. But why use a track loader as a wheel loader? There was a sewer and water company in this city that used its track laoders as wheel loaders and they are all completely junk now. They all have Q/A's, worn out undercarriages, crappy drivetrains, no pads left and last time I checked.... an undercarriage costs more than tires.

d7r

This machine will simply be used for backfill. We will also have a loader with forks for moving materials and sand etc. The loader we are replacing was having trouble backfilling, especialy in wet conditions.Hopefully this 963 does the trick.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I prefer the V-steer with single joystick bucket control. Cat offers several undercarriage options (pads mostly) so pick the one that will work best for your application. I would suggest front idler guards, rear bumper, extra lights, light guards, drawbar/hitch on the rear and the counter weight kit. As Burnout said, rippers are useless on a trackloader, don't waste the money.

I don't know much about the Cat Messenger, you might want to look into that as well. You also might want to look at a hydraulic quick coupler if occasionally the machine will need to do some lift and carry of heavy manholes, etc.

d7r

Thanks for the advice! They dont sell many around here so my dealer isnt that much help.

Burnout

Occupation
I know this might sound a bit harsh so take the following with a grain of salt. Our trackloaders are stirctly backfill. If someone wants pipe, or a manhole, or sand, or stone or whatever... they can get the wheel loader to do it. I know this is not the optimum attitude to have but frankly I have enough to do during the day without worrying about other people needing crap. On a decent water and sewer job we are the most backed up machine on site for work, and frankly we probably move more dirt than the main hoe does because we get to move it up on the pile, blade it out, then backinto the hole and blade it out again.

Without forks... people don't ask you for things. Most of our crew doesn't know I can pick up a manhole barrel or cone... or slab top or pipe with my bucket, therefore when they need something and I am the only one around.... they go find the 966.

I do have to set barrels most of the time because the wheel loader either can't get into the ditch or they can't spare a hoe to come set them, which is cool it gives me practice on the fine tuning.

For backfill of wet material.... the track loader is king. Fan your piles out to get some air to them, and as you pull dry material from the top on the way into the ditch you can bring some wet in with it, fold it all in and its decent stuff. As well because you have to twist and turn on the material when its in the ditch you end up with a lift thats already half compacted and.... you won't find many dozer operators that can get a lift as flat and consistent as a track loader. As your spreading it out turn as much as possible it binds it all together makes it hard and then you just skin it off and its super flat. Even our best dozer hands end up with wavies in their lifts. I don't know one packer operator that prefers a dozer lift to one done by a 973.