• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

966f question

komatsukid

Occupation
loader operator/plant forman
yeah we learned first hand about the tire shortage, our 988 blew a front tire last year and was down for three days. it was a challange feeding a cone crusher with a 966 & 980, if anything it was a good learning experence for myself and the other operator.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I think the most important fact is you can't stop and push in.... working the bucket as you do on firm ground.

Yes, thats another important action. Don't stop before entering the pile but don't ram the pile either. Just keep a steady lower speed into the pile. Another thing, you are digging in first gear right? Don't dig in a higher gear just to keep wheel torque and wheel spin down :nono . Moderation on the gas pedal and hydraulic effort needs to handle that task.:yup

komatsukid

Occupation
no i do not dig in first gear we were tought to dig in second gear, we were tought that first gear is useless, there is too much wheel torque in first gear, in second gear the wheel torque and hydraluic pressure is equal.

Countryboy

Occupation
Well don't get yourself in trouble doing something when you were told otherwise but if 1st gear was worthless then I doubt it would be in there. :wink2

In 1st gear it takes less effort from the motor to give the wheels more torque. This extra effort that the engine now has can be applied to raising the boom which in turn puts even more pressure on the tires causing less slippage.

Like I said you should probably do it the way they want but you shouldn't be afraid to try it several different ways and find the best. If I did everything the way I was taught with out experimenting for myself then I would probably still be digging with a shovel. :bouncegri

komatsukid

Occupation
countryboy you have a point. in a smaller machine like a 966 i can see useing 1st gear, but in larger loaders like 980s 500s and 988s 1st gear puts so much wheel torque to the ground that in a soft under foot trying to combat wheel slipage would be a real task. this will be a tough transition to a smaller loader, anyway i thank you guys for all the advice and help. it is really appreciated.

Countryboy

Occupation
No problem. :yup

By the way, I run a 980G a good bit and anytime I dig a pile its always in 1st with no problems. Thats the way Cat says it should be, so it is.... :wink2

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
With the tire shortage so bad companies keep their tires in barbed wire fenced compounds with security cameras. Its China buying up the world supply of tires. The local gravel mines are having one heck of a time getting tires for the 980s and 988s. They repair what ever they can have anything thats retreadable retreaded.

I don't know what type of bucket the 966 has but most 980s and 988s used here have a spade bucket that makes a pretty big difference over a square edge bucket.

Countryboy

Occupation
The local gravel mines are having one heck of a time getting tires for the 980s and 988s. They repair what ever they can have anything thats retreadable retreaded..

We are feeling the squeeze down here too. Luckily we sorta seen it coming and stocked up. We get offered big $$$ all the time from other companies that want to buy some of the tires we have stockpiled. They don't get them though :nono . We didn't stockpile them to make money (got offered double the price one time) we did it to stay in business.

I don't know what type of bucket the 966 has but most 980s and 988s used here have a spade bucket that makes a pretty big difference over a square edge bucket.

Whats a spade bucket look like? I ain't never seen one of them :confused: .

komatsukid

Occupation
we have two 966f loaders at the pit i work at, both have general purpose buckets with bolt on cutting edges, they like these buckets because they dont limit the tasks you can preform, like blading down haul roads, even though we have a grader for that. i wish i could run a machine with a spade bucket, or even a bucket with teeth and segments just to see the different performance in hard banks.

komatsukid

Occupation
when we bought our 988b it came from a quarry in penn. when we got it the tires that were on it were hard comisition tires, thoes were about worthless in a natural bank! also the top of the bucket (where the grate would be on most other 988 laoders) was plate steel! the bucket also had teeth and segmants. they bought the loader before i started working their, so i never got to run it with the teeth on it.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator

komatsukid

Occupation
yeah im serious, its the oldest loader that we have but at the same time i think its the most reliable, i forgot to add this to my last post, but when they bought it the loader had a Wheel Torque Control lever in it! they took that out and put a real torque converter in it. i have pictures on my pc but i dont know how to post them to this site, im not vary computer smart.

Countryboy

Occupation
Are you serious?

Doh, I went to left field on that one :rolleyes: . Yes, I am very familiar with them. All of our 980s have flat blades and everything bigger than that has shanked buckets AKA "spade buckets". For some reason i was thinking of a special purpose.......Ok I won't even try.......I am signed up with the program now. :wink2

(it was 3:30 am when I said that :cool: )

Countryboy

Occupation
I wasn't conspiring, I was working. I get paid to look at HEF...:wink2

Jeff D.

I wasn't conspiring, I was working. I get paid to look at HEF...:wink2
:confused: What chew talkin' bout Willis?

Digger requires me too pay him to be allowed on HEF? And if the checks a day late I'm banned!!:beatsme

Something seems fishy here.

:wink2

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Not a thread hijack, but an observation...

I frequent a number of boards, and it's interesting when they seem to get the most new posts. This one always seems to come alive around this time every day, which would coincide with most of North America (which would be where the bulk of our members are located), getting home form the jobsite for the evening.

On a couple boards that are geared more towards people that spend their days in an office, they always seem much slower evenings and weekends, which is when everybody would have gone home (i.e. now they're on their own time...)

Its nice that you're on a shift where you can join us and still get paid, CB.

(And to make that into a bonafide "good thing", we are a damn good professional resource, aren't we? It's like going to some fancy schmancy professional seminar every evening of the week, but there's never a fee...) On edit: Except of course, for Jeff, but he takes it as a tax deduction...

:thumbsup

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
:confused: What chew talkin' bout Willis?

Digger requires me too pay him to be allowed on HEF? And if the checks a day late I'm banned!!:beatsme

Something seems fishy here.

Yup, I work at night.....SOO, technically I'm getting paid to look at HEF. :yup

On a side note: We is senior membas now...:thumbsup