• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

966d Shut off solenoid, seen it before?

Cutterjohn

pretty sure thepumpguy nailed it, see attached. ref #'s 13, 14, & 15,
odd repair, using 3208 parts to fix a 3306...

3208.jpg

Last edited:

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Mechanic has taken out the flange. He says it had some kind of check valve in it. He says when he took it off there is only a hole, bolts are separated 60 mm away, just like the solenoid I posted a picture. I dont know if what you should normally see on the governor is only a hole???

Thanks to all.

Yes there is only a hole where the shutoff mounts. The rod on the shutoff goes in and contacts a lever attached to the fuel rack.
Even if someone put a 3208 flange on it once you take that off the shutoff will mount the same.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The only thing that should go between the shutoff solenoid and the fuel injection pump is a gasket. I think it's Part Number 6I-2002. If the distance between the 2 threaded holes on the back of the injection pump are 60mm apart and the centre of the holes in the 110-6465 solenoid shown in Post #5 are the same distance apart then I'd say the solenoid will mount right in there. Throw the "spacer" away.

It might be interesting to see if the centre of the hole in the back of the injection pump lines up with the centre of the hole in the "adapter" that's currently installed at the same location. My guess is that the centres of the 2 holes won't line up.

Last edited:

ejuan

The only thing that should go between the shutoff solenoid and the fuel injection pump is a gasket. I think it's Part Number 6I-2002. If the distance between the 2 threaded holes on the back of the injection pump are 60mm apart and the centre of the holes in the 110-6465 solenoid shown in Post #5 are the same distance apart then I'd say the solenoid will mount right in there. Throw the "spacer" away.

It might be interesting to see if the centre of the hole in the back of the injection pump lines up with the centre of the hole in the "adapter" that's currently installed at the same location. My guess is that the centres of the 2 holes won't line up.

Sorry for my late repply, but I had to go myself to take a picture of it without the flange. Here I attach the picture. What do you think guys?, is my dealer correct and solenoid part number is 110-6465?

20140312_153258.jpg

Thanks in advance for your kind help to all of you

Nige

Try to mount the solinoid right on there.
Later Bob
I agree with Bob. It appears that the solenoid should fix straight on there using a bolt in each of those 2 threaded holes

I'm wondering if at some time in the past the solenoid was removed and the "spacer" was installed - for 2 possible reasons. One to cover the gaping hole on the back of the pump, the other to leave a hole through which someone could conveniently poke a screwdriver, stick, or similar in order to manually shut off the engine.

ejuan

I agree with Bob. It appears that the solenoid should fix straight on there using a bolt in each of those 2 threaded holes

I'm wondering if at some time in the past the solenoid was removed and the "spacer" was installed - for 2 possible reasons. One to cover the gaping hole on the back of the pump, the other to leave a hole through which someone could conveniently poke a screwdriver, stick, or similar in order to manually shut off the engine.

Thanks. I dont have the solenoid with me, and there is no exchange from my CAT dealer, even if I buy it just to try, I guess I will have to take the risk and buy it hoping it will fit. Just was hoping some of you guys had seen it before and could tell me that was actually the correct part number.

Thanks for your help

Nige

As a last suggestion if you can't get the solenoid on a "sale or return basis" - measure the centre-to-centre distance between the 2 threaded bolt holes on the pump and compare it to the measurement you previously posted on the photo of the solenoid in Post #5. If the 2 measurements are the same then I would say it is 99.9% certain that solenoid will fit, and (more importantly) that it is the correct one for the job.

Cmark

That looks like a stock standard casing to me and I'm 99.99% certain the solenoid will fit.

Whether it works or not is a different matter though. ;) These are an energise-to-stop system and not as simple as you'd think. If you get it wired up and it doesn't work, post here and we'll talk you through the troubleshooting.

Bob/Ont

Cmark the wheel loaders of this vintage are energize to shut down but the long Go Round to get there when you turn the key off can be a challenge.
Later Bob

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
As a last suggestion if you can't get the solenoid on a "sale or return basis" - measure the centre-to-centre distance between the 2 threaded bolt holes on the pump and compare it to the measurement you previously posted on the photo of the solenoid in Post #5. If the 2 measurements are the same then I would say it is 99.9% certain that solenoid will fit, and (more importantly) that it is the correct one for the job.

Another option is to buy the gasket and see if it would fit. if the hole spacing and the overall shape looks good you"re half way there! Also measure into the lever that the plunger would hit and if it looks about the right distance go for it.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Cmark the wheel loaders of this vintage are energize to shut down but the long Go Round to get there when you turn the key off can be a challenge.
Later Bob

I'd need to do a little research but seems to me that there is a relay in an electric box on the fire wall that is powered by the output of the alternator. As the engine come to a stop and alternator output drops the relay kills power to the shut-down solenoid. Had to trouble shoot one of these 15 to 20 years ago!

Bob/Ont

The way that one worked was turning the switch to off you grounded the shutdown relay and as the engine ran on the power from the alt "R" terminal went through the relay turning it on and sending battery voltage to the shutdown solenoid. A bad alternator and the engine wouldn't shutdown.
Later Bob

Cmark

The way that one worked was turning the switch to off you grounded the shutdown relay and as the engine ran on the power from the alt "R" terminal went through the relay turning it on and sending battery voltage to the shutdown solenoid. A bad alternator and the engine wouldn't shutdown.
Later Bob

And also if you remember, in the relay box there's what looks like a blank plug on the harness but it's actually a diode and if it goes wrong then once again, no shutdown.

ejuan

Thanks to all of you. I will buy the solenoid and let you know if it worked, hope it does.

Regards,