• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

966d Shut off solenoid, seen it before?

ejuan

Hi guys, Ive been looking for a shut off solenoid for a 966D Serial 99y04861, it has a 3306 engine. Even my Caterpillar dealer has given me a part number but it wont just fit in. Just wondering if you have seen it before, or might know what is going on here. Flange shape is really weird. It seems impossible to find as I have been looking for some days now, without any succes.
20140303_114701.jpg20140303_114754.jpg20140303_114809.jpgPlantilla.jpg

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
That flange piece with one bolt in it has to come off. The shutoff mounts right to the governor.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I have to admit that I know nothing about a 3306, but I have to agree with Mobiletech...that single bolt in that flange just ain't right in any sort of logic.

ejuan

That flange piece with one bolt in it has to come off. The shutoff mounts right to the governor.

That is what I thougt, but the flange continues with the same shape even if I take that piece of the governor. Actually they push a stick through the hole seen in the picture to turn off the engine so the hole must be in the right place. Solenoid part number given at the dealer is 110-6465, they sent me a picture with measurements wich dont match. Anyways Im going to take out that piece and check if it has a way to fit in.

thanks for your advices.

IMG-20140227-WA0000.jpg

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That don't look right, your pattern shows the shaft offset between the two holes???

Again, I'm not a Cat guy, but I'm seeing the 3306 used a 6N-3748 fuel solenoid. Am I missing something here?

Cmark

I'm seeing the 3306 used a 6N-3748 fuel solenoid. Am I missing something here?

The 6N3748 if for a sleeve metering pump. Ejuan has a scroll pump.

That aluminium block doesn't look like anything I've seen before. Looks almost home made. I'd like to see a photo of the governor housing with it removed.

Edit. After a bit of research, my best guess it you have the remains of a VHP (variable horsepower) solenoid. Someone might have installed an engine or FIP from a grader. What's the serial number of your engine?

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry

That aluminium block doesn't look like anything I've seen before. Looks almost home made. I'd like to see a photo of the governor housing with it removed.

Edit. After a bit of research, my best guess it you have the remains of a VHP (variable horsepower) solenoid. Someone might have installed an engine or FIP from a grader. What's the serial number of your engine?

Also are there part numbers on any other parts in that area, might help shed some light on this.

ejuan

I will try to get a picture of the governor without that piece. Engine information is Model: 3306DI , Serial: 08Z38761, Arrangement Number: 6N3055.

Thanks for your help.

ejuan

Also are there part numbers on any other parts in that area, might help shed some light on this.

No sir. There is no information or part number on the pump. I ve seen other FIP like this but they use a normal solenoid.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Engine S/N 08Z38761 built May 1987, originally installed in 966D S/N 99Y04861. So t'is the original engine.............

Edit: Does this look like it..? Taken from a 6I-2108 Shutoff Solenoid Gp. Solenoid Gp (Ref. 4) is a 155-4653.

966 shutoff.png

Last edited:

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
From the first picture it looks like 2 pieces or flanges need to come off.(they are stacked) The gasket may be holding one piece on.

ejuan

From the first picture it looks like 2 pieces or flanges need to come off.(they are stacked) The gasket may be holding one piece on.

Mechanic has taken out the flange. He says it had some kind of check valve in it. He says when he took it off there is only a hole, bolts are separated 60 mm away, just like the solenoid I posted a picture. I dont know if what you should normally see on the governor is only a hole???

Thanks to all.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I think I figured it out..??
"someone" has taken the "inlet Spacer" off a 3208, hence the "check valve" and adapted it to this pump..!!!
Think about it..??
I WIN..

ejuan

If it's possibly a "modified" VHP control, try this. The complete group is 6I-3792 Solenoid Group - VHP & Engine Shutoff. Applicable amongst other to engine of S/N prefix 08Z.

View attachment 115364

Thanks Niege, I will check if this is the case. If I ever solve this issue I will let you know. I am really confused right now.

ejuan

Sure I will try to get a picture of that. My mechanic does not have acces to a camera, thats why he has not sent me the picture.

ejuan

I think I figured it out..??
"someone" has taken the "inlet Spacer" off a 3208, hence the "check valve" and adapted it to this pump..!!!
Think about it..??
I WIN..

Sorry for my ignorance, what is an inlet spacer? maybe you are right...